Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to hook up a pair of electomagnetic horns on my 2006 V2K. When I hook them up according to the directions, both horns work when I turn on the ignition. I can only get one horn to work ( via the horn button ). I need a diagram or something, maybe a pill, I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. Can anyone help? MC Rider.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
accessorie wiring 101

I'm trying to hook up a pair of electomagnetic horns on my 2006 V2K. When I hook them up according to the directions, both horns work when I turn on the ignition. I can only get one horn to work ( via the horn button ). I need a diagram or something, maybe a pill, I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. Can anyone help? MC Rider.
mc, you are overloading the stock horn circuit with both those honkers. they work when the bike is not on because there seems ample power not used elsewhere, but that wiring is good for only one measley little tin horn.

what to do? some doodle noggin started a thread called ponch's 'lectric fix em up or some other do habby thing? start there. plenty reference to how wire a relay to any/all accessores. same goes for your horns.

run a 14g Red wire directly off batr'y + post, thru a fuse and then thru a normal open relay contacts, continue this new wiring to your two horns. now run a 14g Black wire from the two horns back to the batr'y - post or frame ground screw near there.

Now take your existing horn wires and run them to the coil on that relay. So anytime you hit the horn button, the relay pulls in and routes power directly to them noise makers w/o running thru your bikes stock wiring harness. Whala! your a genius! yor welcome. out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I misspelled your name Ponch, now, where is the coil ? Could you just draw out a simple diagram of what you just explained. My experience with electric stuff is on/off switches. I mean using it, not installing it. MC.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
mcee, mispellin is the mark of a thinkerer. huh?
yor question, where is the coil? ok, so yor not quite up on the lingo..yet. This stratergery solution requires that you purchase and install a relay (I stick it under the left side cover, where all the otter 'lectrics live). This here new fangle relay has two seperate 'lectric circuits. #1 is a set of normally open contacts that will close when the relay(coil) is energized. #2 is the coil(12vdc) which will be energized by the existing horn button and wiring circuit.
I know this is a word picture. those diagrams on the otter tread(sp) show it in detail.
ifn you are still yet puzzled, write some more and we can tell the story diffren. sooner or later the light bulb will go on... or is it the horn will beep? out, poncherino

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I've followed those instructions on many of my former bikes but they don't seem to be working on this V2K. Ponch has generously aided me but his knowledge doesn't even help. I'm beginning to think ( I know, don't say it ) that there's something w/in the wiring of this particular bike that is stopping the current. This is really driving me nuts. HELP. MC at your mercy.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
begin at the beginning

Yes, I've followed those instructions on many of my former bikes but they don't seem to be working on this V2K. Ponch has generously aided me but his knowledge doesn't even help. I'm beginning to think ( I know, don't say it ) that there's something w/in the wiring of this particular bike that is stopping the current. This is really driving me nuts. HELP. MC at your mercy.
mc, ez there buddy. first rule for any problem solving; put down the tools and go get yerself a beer. 2, drink it. 3 go get 'nother. ok, now that yor in a better place. think of this as a clean sheet of paper. maybe go get one and a #2 pencil, red n black. with eraser.

ok, so begin brand new and draw a line showing which way the lectricity is flowing. like water. DC voltage is one way flow from positive to negative. use arrows if it helps.

Start at the beginning. the bat'ry + post. draw a (red) line (use arrows) to a fuse. after the fuse continue the line to a relay, connect to an open contact. on the other side of the relay open contact, continue that line (use more arrows) to one side of each horn.

ok, now switch to black lead pencil. draw a line from the otherside of each horn back to the bat'ry - post. or the frame ground screw nearby. You have just completed the power wiring side of this here problem.

now take the two stock wires that use to feed your stock horn. run them to the coil connections on that relay. ok, you are done with the wiring part.

with the bike key on, push the horn button. 'lectricity will flow from the button to the relay coil and cause it to pull in. The contacts will close and the power from the bat'ry will now flow to them horns and make them beep.

yor stock wiring is now just the pilot circuit to that new horn relay. so stock wiring should not be an issue... if it worked b4 with the old horn, it should work fine now.

oh yeah, copy your paper wiring diagram with real wires on the skoot. assuming all is in working order. finish that beer. get another n celebrate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, before I put a bicycle horn on this puppy, I'll ask one more @#%!!! question. Ponch, you stated in your last post "now take the two stock wires that use to feed your stock horn. run them to the coil connections on that relay. ok, you are done with the wiring part" but the prob is there are no more connections to be had on the 4 prong relay. What next? MC.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
is there anybody that you can sit down with and draw these circuits out?

Ok, before I put a bicycle horn on this puppy, I'll ask one more @#%!!! question. Ponch, you stated in your last post "now take the two stock wires that use to feed your stock horn. run them to the coil connections on that relay. ok, you are done with the wiring part" but the prob is there are no more connections to be had on the 4 prong relay. What next? MC.
mc, you need you another beer.
on a 4 prong relay, 2 prongs are the normally open contact prongs that you are routing the power from the battery thru. the other 2 prongs are the "coil".
when you push your stock horn button, 12vdc electricity flows down one of those wires to where the old stock horn use to reside. if the horn was still there it would convert that electrical current into sound energy and you would hear a "bleep". the current continues to flow out the horn and back to the negative side of the battery via the stock wiring harness.

Now if you where to extend and route those two existing horn wires all the way back to wherever you located that relay and then connect them to the "coil" prongs on that relay, when you push your horn button the 12vdc electricity would flow all the way to that coil and the relay would pull in and close the power contacts (the first set of prongs mentioned) allowing 12vdc direct from your battery to flow to those two new honkers of yours. both the coil and the horns have return wires taking that current back to the negative side of the battery.

mc, this is not rocket science. it is how all elementary dc circuits work. all your bike(s) electric circuits function and behave in a similar fashion. just think of your horn(s) as light bulbs. instead of making light, they make sound. they are just energy consuming devices in the middle of a complete circuit. every type of load converts electricity to some other form of energy or mechanical function. ie, light, heat, sound, or motion.

am waiting for the light bulb to go on... I think it now is on this end. out, ponch

btw, I think you are trying to run both your horn wires as seperate circuits, is why you think you need seperate relay prongs for each horn.. Not so, because you are pulling power directly from the battery and your relay is sufficiently sized. You do not need to run two pairs of wires. Run one pair of wires to one horn and then jump those wires over to the other horn. The horns are not in series but still parrallel, but use only a single pair of wires. study those diagrams.

·
Registered
659 Posts

This should help. The relay should be a four prong relay, right? All your original horn wires are doing now is tripping that relay and the relay is sending more juice to the new horn. I installed a Stebel Nautilus 139db airhorn on my Buell and it sounds like a train.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Since a horn is polarity conscious if you hook it up backwards would it suck noise out of the area? Would a light bulb emit darkness if wired backwards?

Hmmmm, things to ponder late at night.

What do you do when you encounter a sign that says "THIS DOOR TO REMAIN LOCKED AT ALL TIMES" ? How do you get in/out of that room?

What happens after you stop at a STOP Sign? It never turns green and says GO.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Since a horn is polarity conscious if you hook it up backwards would it suck noise out of the area?
if the horn really was polarity sensitive, meaning it was internaly grounded.. then hooking it up backwards would just suck.... your battery dead.:skeleton:

ColdPork95:pig: said:
Would a light bulb emit darkness if wired backwards?
now you know there is no such thing. as darkness. but only the absence of light. sooo.. if your sucking the light out of the room.. well you'v got bigger issues than just bad wiring.:poop:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts