Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do my first Voyager winterizing (sob) and since the storage temp will drop well below zero, was wondering if people also drain the fluids from the cooling system before winter storage.
Tkx

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
According to my '17 Vaquero manual the antifreeze is good to -35C or -31F. I've never drained it for storage, but I'm in Western NY, it might be colder where you are.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
put a half cup of seafoam in the gas tank and fill it up full to expel all the inside air, don't use stabel but use seafoam, stabel will turn the gas to jello

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
take the battery out and put is in a warm place on battery-tender plus 1.25 amp automatic shut off charge, don't allow the battery to freeze up, and yes leave the rad fluid in, it won't freeze as long as it is not pure antifreeze, the best is 50/50 mix , without water mix antifreeze will actually freeze up and crack that rad, and expose to cold wind an rad might crack, so keep your bike out of the wind, top up the tire pressure and do it again in the spring, lube your cables if you have any and watch out for mice if you're storing the bike in a shed, they will make a nest just about anywhere on your bike, and don't be tempted to start up your bike during mid-winter to hear the pipes, that can cause the engine to heat then cool causing condensation moisture in the crankcase, (read rust), and don't cover the bike in a tarp or plastic or sheet cause that traps the moisture, (read again rust), leave the bike fully exposed without a cover sheet, see you on the road in the spring

·
Registered
705 Posts
Your bike coolant MUST be treated like you car.
Mix it right so its good ti -35°F.
Never need to drain it and even if you did, you can never get it all out and then that little bit hanging around that isn't mixed right will freeze and expand and do damage where you don't want any!
So mix it right and leave it full.

·
Registered
55 Posts
"Oh experts of two wheels share your knowledge with us poor wretched noobs."
It only freezes a bit in Windsor but I know not to mess with it.
So...1/2 cup of seafoam in a full tank, and drive for 10K to get it in.
Leave her uncovered- you can wash it in the spring.
Remove battery and trickle it.
Do not start in winter (battery out anyway)
...anything else? You sure no Stabel/Stabil??? I've never used seafoam like this. Won't the whole thing smoke like crazy in the spring?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I keep mine in my garage which is nicely insulated during the off season. Its not heated but it never gets below 55 degrees inside regardless of the outside temps. I put a good dose of SeaFoam in it, and change the oil and filter out.

I have a trickle charger for the battery but rarely use it, preferring to start it a time or two each month, letting it run for maybe 20 minutes each time. I'll also slip it in gear and let it move itself forward after I back it out. I'll do that several times.

For Wayelder: Yes, SeaFoam works quite well in this application. I've never used Stabil for anything. I don't have anything against Stabil, just never used it. I'll use SeaFoam in everything from my chain saw to my pressure washer to all of my vehicles. (Slight variation in how I use it though. I just put it in the chain saw and pressure washer a half hour before I want to use them for the first time each year. I have an electric lawn mower so I don't need it for that.)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
To Wayelder again: About that first startup smoking you referred to, that could possibly be due to condensation that gets into the exhaust pipes. Whatever is in there quickly heats up as the pipes get HOT and can turn to steam, rather than simply evaporating. It'll be white "smoke" and go away after a few minutes, not to return again for the rest of the summer.

I've read two different schools of thought as to covering/sealing up the open exhausts when long term storing it outside. I really don't remember the rationales between the two, opposing viewpoints other than one side thought it a good idea to block off that point of entry into the exhaust to any moisture or insectoid critters while the other side had differing ideas as to the wisdom of doing so for whatever reasons. To me, both sides had convincing arguments.

Perhaps someone else in here can pipe in on that topic. Since mine stays indoors, not exposed to weather and is fairly well climate controlled, I don't really mind any insects that want to find a home in there since once you crank it they'll no longer be an issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our tank is 12 liters? so a quarter cup of Seafoam? And is that the original Seafoam or , as that is a brand, is there a particular skew or version for winterizing?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
There's not a special SeaFoam for winterizing. So just the regular stuff. I merely follow the directions on the can as to how much to put in for my size of fuel tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts