Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about how long a bike can sit in a covered garage away from the elements without winterizing - charging battery, etc. My thoughts are that even though its cold I can probably get a ride in at least once every three weeks even short 15 mile runs. I know in march I'll be able to ride it more than once every three weeks so I have 2-3 months of possible storage. Can you leave it for three months with occasional start ups without winterizing?:skeleton::eek::pig::waving::eek::mad::):):(:confused:;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
"Occasional startups" should include letting it run long enough to get the engine up to normal running temp. I'd still use a battery tender though. Idling may not be enough to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
217 Posts
"Occasional startups" should include letting it run long enough to get the engine up to normal running temp. I'd still use a battery tender though. Idling may not be enough to keep the battery charged.
I would do all above plus filling the tank and add a fuel stabilizer. As the fuel level drops when you run the bike, the mixture will prevent any fuel component issues. Gasoline is parishable.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, all good suggestions but the tender will be a problem as its kept in a public garage with no electric outlet so i will have to remove the battery each time, i'm trying to avoid that but may not be able to. can you drive it with the fuel stabilizer in it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
All those things are good. You also have to strike a balance in "short" startups. Dependent on your storage facility temperature and if short startups get things somewhat hot as opposed to hot enough, than you can create moisture buildup that can be trapped in the exhaust system and promoting corrosion/rotting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts