Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Winter Storing

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MidIAVoyager 
#1 ·
Just got my 2011 Nomad 1700 delivered, now sitting in my unheated garage. The owner's manual says to take out the battery and keep indoors. Then on the other pages it showed that batteries discharge faster on warmer temp. and stays pretty much 100 percent when cold. My garage temp. goes down to 5- 7c but never below 0. I probably wont be riding until sometime April next year, unless of course we get a break and get a dry sunny day from this wintry weather. Would a battery tender hooked up the whole time ok? It also said on the manual that if the bike is left sitting for a few months, just the clock which is constantly running can drain the battery.
Any advise from experienced Nomad owners? Thanks.

Discussion starter · #4 · (Edited)
How much amp recommended for the tender? Mine is a 2A maintainer with a power light and a charging light. The charging light goes off as soon as the battery reaches 100%. The manual says the small cable on the side of the bike is for accessories. Is this where you hook up the charger? The end plug looks similar. This is the first winter this bike will sit in my unheated garage. By the way, if you unhook the whole battery, would that affect the meters' datas: like clock, rpm, odometer, etc? Do you have to set these all up again when you put the battery back in the summer? Thanks again for all your inputs. Much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.