Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy has good tips on how to store a motorcycle for storage, except where he says to start the bike every couple weeks and let it run for 10 minutes, but I don't do that, I just leave the bike alone and drain the gas from the carb bowl and not start the bike all during storage. because heating up the crankcase then when the crankcase cools down causing hot to cold inside it forms condensation (rust), and I don't cover up the bike because that traps the moisture under the cover, (again rust), let it breath, for longer term storage remove the plugs and spray fogging oil inside the cylinders and turn the crank over a couple times then reinstall the plugs, if you leave the plugs uninstalled you might forget to tighten them again at end of storage, and yes use a 1.25amp battery tender but it leaving the bike outside then do remove the battery and yes lube your cables and chain, check out his video tips. And for gas tank I put in seafoam and fill it up expelling all the air.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That guy's videos are hilarious! He's a bit nuts about a few things, but does have salient points to make.

For me, winter storage is filling the tank, adding fuel stabilizer, lube the chain, putting the bike in its shell (Cycle Shell), hooking up the tender. In spring I'll just pull it out, check the tires, and ride!

I've stored my bike for 8 years this way without issues. Gotta let it breath if the moisture level stays high for a while, or spray some mold/mildew armor in the shell.

-John

·
Registered
705 Posts
Then there's over kill.
NUMBER ONE - Check that the coolant can withstand freezing temps. (50/50 mix good to -35°F)

Add seafoam before your last ride so that the seafaom gets into the carbs.

Add more seafoam and fill tank with gas,
remove battery and take inside with a trickle charger,
lube chain,
cover - it wont trap anything if the wind blows up and around.

Wait for spring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts