Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year storing my 900 Classic for the winter. There are many write-ups/articles on this subject. None are exactly clear on lift/stands to keep my bike off the cold, unheated, concrete floor of my garage.

What is the best choice to keep my wheels off the ground & load off the suspension?

Please do not jump my post to tell me you get to ride all year long, or you don't store your bike. Responses like that do not help those of us that need these answers. Thank you,

· Registered
165 Posts
I have had 3 bikes go through the winter stored in a garage on concrete. I just make sure to rotate the wheels twice a month with no ill effects. Also it helps to keep them fully inflated. Now the 900 stays outdoor in the winter under the Cycleshell. If I can't get it out then I just move the bike forwards and backwards a couple times of the month.

Don't forget the battery tender and sta-bil in a full tank. I have a waterproof one for storing in the cycleshell.

· Registered
66 Posts
Go here for instructions to make $20 Bike lift. I made one and use it all of the time for storage as well general maint. I made mine out 2x8 glued and screwed and added 1X4 cap on the narrow edge then just lever bike up . The lift is simple and very solid. Elevate front tire slightly and block and you have both tires off ground.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That homemade lift looks cool. Wish I would have seen it before I ordered a Pepsx stand.

So, I just spent $140 on a Pepsx stand and now I'm researching a motorcycle jack to use to get my 900 on to the stand.

Any suggestions on a quality motorcycle jack? According to online reviews most jacks are crap, especially Craftsman.

· Registered
108 Posts
Just ordered the Venom pivot center stand lift support. Should fit nicely between the lower engine parts. Will let you all know how that works when I get it. Should be able to tilt both front and back of bike and turn wheels to prevent flat spots although stand is suppose to take 90 percent of the weight off the wheels.

· Registered
125 Posts
Just ordered the Venom pivot center stand lift support. Should fit nicely between the lower engine parts. Will let you all know how that works when I get it. Should be able to tilt both front and back of bike and turn wheels to prevent flat spots although stand is suppose to take 90 percent of the weight off the wheels.
Do let us know how that works out. I like the look of that option better than the 2x8 system I use now.

· Registered
221 Posts
I recently bought one of these to replace my home-made jack. Just $35 now that it's on sale. Nice thing is you can sit your bike up straight for storage and remove the handle. Nicely made out of steel and will lift up to 1000 lbs. I found that you need to lift from the side away (right) from your kick stand.

http://www.discountramps.com/cruiser-stand/p/BW-37/

· Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
That homemade lift looks cool. Wish I would have seen it before I ordered a Pepsx stand.

So, I just spent $140 on a Pepsx stand and now I'm researching a motorcycle jack to use to get my 900 on to the stand.

Any suggestions on a quality motorcycle jack? According to online reviews most jacks are crap, especially Craftsman.
Not sure what you have read, but I have the Craftsman motorcycle jack and have used it plenty on my 900LT and my Harley Full Dresser without any modifications or issues what so ever. For the $ you can't beat it. Got mine for maybe $120 at sears online delivered to my door.

· Registered
108 Posts
Just got my venom stand. Works great. 3 height settings (center works best). Fits perfectly and holds the bike solid. No side to side movement but can move front to back with little effort. Back wheel inch off the ground front when light on ground. Very good buy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.