Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sort of:D All of us had the day off today and were extremely bored so we decided to go for a ride. It was very overcast, 38*, with a 5mph north wind, perfect chance to try out my new First Gear winter riding pants. A friend of mine bought them, they're too big for him, and he doesn't ride in the cold anymore so he gave them to me:D I think they may be a year old or so, but they're like new. Amored textile, windproof, waterproof, with a non-removable thinsulate liner, very comfy. Me, my oldest son on his VN900, and a friend of ours on his VN900. My wife said "Hell no! It's too cold!" LOL! About 10 minutes into the ride it started sleeting:eek: Oh well, we're riding, there's no turning back, after about 20 minutes we pulled into a neighboring town and stopped at the cafe for some coffee. By this time it had stopped sleeting so we screwed around town for a bit and headed home. As we were leaving it started raining, about halfway home it started snowing:eek: It wasn't cold enough to stick and melted as fast as it hit, but it was sooooo cool riding in the first snow of the season(even though it's already gone).

Lessons learned-
If you dress for it, cold weather riding isn't bad at all. With underarmor, sweatpants, the First Gear overpants, sweatshirt, hoodie, and my RiverRoad leather jacket, everything between my neck and my ankles was toasty warm and dry, even at 85mph. Neoprene face masks are awesome, keeps the face and neck warm and alot of the wind from coming in my fullface helmet. My Zamp modular FF is kinda noisy and isn't sealing well, there was a consant blast of cold air on my forehead even with the vents closed. My TourMaster winter gauntlets kept my hands from freezing and getting wet, but they did little in the way of warmth. They let alot of air in between the fingers and my finger tips were froze. Carolina linesmens boots are great boots.....for anything except winter riding. While they did keep my feet dry, there's no insulation, except for my socks and my feet were very cold.

Overall it was a great ride, got several "you guys are nuts" looks, didn't care, we were having a blast!

·
Registered
600 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Dress for the weather and you can do just about anything, including riding ... How anyone can stay completely off their ride for months at a time except for certain extreme conditions is beyond me. I admire riders that "give the finger" to Mother Nature...........

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see how some of our friends to the north can put their bikes up for the winter, for some, after a certain point it's all snow-pack, time for the snowmobile!! It's been years since I've been on a sled, but growing up in norhtwest Iowa, there were alot of them, and we rode them just as hard as our bikes:D

Around here(rural northeast Kansas)there's a huge concentration of what I call "wanna-be's". (This is not a bash on HD's! More on some of the WB's that ride them around here) They have the bike, they have the 1% look down to a "T", for most of them a bike run is down to the local bar, and they're always spouting off "Ride to Live! Live to Ride!" Yet, come the middle of November, where's their bike? "Oh, I've put it up for the winter, it's too cold to ride.":rolleyes: IMHO, we don't get hard enough winters here to justify putting the bike up. With all that being said, if I had to deal with snow, snow-pack, ice, or black ice on a daily basis, my bike would be put up and I'd have a sled:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I rode last Friday it was in the high 40s here in KY. I just layered up with leather coat and chaps and stayed warm except my fingers which got a little chill. I was wearing Tour Master Model Cold-Tex Gloves which I think are a dang good winter glove for 30 bucks. I also have a firstgear thermosuit that will keep you very warm its just hard to deal with if you need to stop somewere. My boss rides year around and has used heated gloves but says they just don't seem to hold up very long before they go bad. Both the bikes he rides now have heated grips which he says works very well.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
it snowed maybe a half an inch here this morning and we took my wife's car out for breakfast. We passed several salt trucks and when we got home the car's sides were white! So even if you wanted to ride here, you would have to deal with this issue.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot all about the salt issue, that would suck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the issue of deer in road this time of year. If I ride to work its dark 5:30am and this time of year there everywere. I almost hit one already. I freaked out and hit my rear brake and slid about 15ft then the deer moved. The worst part was I should have been going slower knowing deer were likly to be there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't beat Gerbing Jacket liners. At 40F i only need a long sleeve T, the Gerbing and a decent lined jacket. No Michelin man effect:}:}

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I agree if you dress up real good riding in the cold isn't too bad. I been riding around in some cold weather too. I also put on 2 layers of clothing on from head to foot with my leather jacket on. I drove around in some 37 degree weather & that lasted for about hour before my feet started feeling cold. I had on some insulated gloves, but my hands didn't stay warm long. I'll get some better gloves & insulated boots by next year. Anyhow, if the sun is out & the temperature is above 50 degrees, I don't mind riding at all. I do still see some bikes out on sunny days but not many. Every now & then I run across someone riding a moped with just a skull cap on freezing his *ss off.
Probably ride my bike mostly on days above 50 degrees cause that one day riding in the 30's I had to get home & jump in a HOT shower with my hands & feet getting a little to cold.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys have it rough alright, My riding season is 12 months long. I don't have the stones let alone the skill to ride in the snow. My wife and I plan to move northwest toward Washington after the kids leave home and then I guess I'll be doing some colder weather riding. I know one thing, I'll won't stop riding just because it's cold.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If I dressed like some of you described, I wouldn't be able to crawl onto my bike!!:p:

I'll ride anytime the temp is above 40F. But no rain, thanks. And snow doesn't exist here....HAHAHAHAHA!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Weather Alert!!

It was 98 F here yesterday. By Saturday it should be around 78 F. Anybody wanna ride with just a vest and shortie gloves??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts