Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a productive off-season, despite the snow and cold. I added a Cobra luggage rack, crash bars, and a Metzeler front tire. I had my seat redone by Mean City Cycles (wonderful job, BTW).

The bad part was what happened on the last ride in November. The stator fried, leaving me stranded. The Wrench told me that the '06 Vulcan stator design didn't plug the holes where the wires pass through the casing, so road gunk gets inside and shorts the thing out. Apparently, they fixed this problem for 2007, but that engineering misstep ended up costing me around 600 bucks.

This is my 5th bike (bought last summer), and I've never had a stator fail so early (13,000 miles). Tried to get Big K to foot the bill, but since the bike is so old, no dice.

so, heads up, you unsuspecting '06 owners!

·
Registered
424 Posts
This will make you feel better, I got an 09 in Jan 09, stator went at 6500 miles 14 months later. Kawa in there infinite wisdom told me it was my fault. Fixed it anyway but said the bulb i replaced in the headlight, an 80/100, was two much extra power for the bike. 35 watts extra is to much? They fixed it because they knew the excuse was BS just something to complain about. Looking for a second chance to fight with them soon, 11k on bike now should be shortly going back for the second round. Extended warranty paid for it self already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Commiseration

Thanks! I do feel better. I've always lived in areas with high concentration of deer so I've always run at least an 80/100, sometimes a 100/130 (with a relay) in my previous bikes. A headlamp bulb frying a stator? Man, as excuses go, that's about as lame as it gets. If the bulb was drawing that much current, the wires and the fuse would go before the stator.

They must think we're pretty stupid.

--Ralph :drool:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It was a productive off-season, despite the snow and cold. I added a Cobra luggage rack, crash bars, and a Metzeler front tire. I had my seat redone by Mean City Cycles (wonderful job, BTW).
Which seat mod did ya have 'em do, and how did it change your riding position? Any pics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seat Mod

I got the double-decker mod for me and the wide double-decker for the Mrs. It looks really sharp and it's definitely a better sit than the stock. I wanted my sitting position raised about 4 inches, to take the pressure off my tailbone and move it to my thighs and glutes, and they've done that. I'll post pictures soon. It's snowing outside right now and it just depresses me too much to visit the bike in the garage.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
35 watts extra is to much?
Weak. Says right in the OM you can run 70 watts extra on your electrical system.

Don't know if I'm lucky or not. My dealer never tries to stick me on anything, but they do like to hold my bike hostage for a week at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts