Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

To ride or not to ride. In the colder months, that is the question.

Traditionally, in regions where the winter thermometer dips below freezing, many riders would prep and store their motorcycles, not wanting to brave sub-zero wind chill.

That made a lot of sense in times past, but now more than ever, a plethora of winter riding suits, windproof gloves, headgear – and best of all: electrically heated head-to-toe gear – can make cold weather riding a do-able proposition.

On the other hand, if you don't want to go through the effort, that's fine, too. Perhaps you're already sure the cold season is better spent doing something else.

In this case you'll want to properly put away your bike so it's ready when you are come spring.

Since either riding or not in cold months is now a more viable choice than ever, we'll give you some pointers for which ever way you decide to go.

More: Winter Preparation: Two Viable Choices For Riders on Motorcycle.com

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the best one size fits all accessorie for the whole family!

To ride or not to ride. In the colder months, that is the question.
to all, by far the very best accessorie for you, your bike(s) and the whole family can enjoy.... is..... move south! no limits on your riding. in fact winters are even more better! out, ponch

·
Registered
491 Posts
Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep south Alabama we ride year round also, infact often much nicer once the days cool down. But the days are so short.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I ride up until it snows. Once they salt the roads, i put my toys away until the spring rains wash off all the salt. Serious cold generally doesn't set in until after the snows come.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Just put the carb'd cruisers away but kept the Nomad ready. The Nomad being fuel injected isn't bothered by the cold temps when starting but the carb'd bikes can get tempermental. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hawaii-nuff said, I ride even the rainy season,there is a trade off, you guys on the mainland have open road we just keep goin round and round, I miss open road.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
do your tires wear out all on one side?

Hawaii-nuff said, I ride even the rainy season,there is a trade off, you guys on the mainland have open road we just keep goin round and round, I miss open road.
mik'r, CW or CCW? ever try mixing it up? a little of this an that is sort of like goin straight? but hey, you got some veiw! hows them sunsets? out, ponch

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ride in New England nearly year round. I just make sure the roads have been cleared and are dry and that I wear warm clothing. The best are a heated vest/jacket under my yellow day-glow jacket and heated gloves. I haven't figured out yet how to keep my toes warm, though. I think that riding in all seasons is the best method for testing your skills so long as you maintain sensibility. I'm 63 and have been riding since my first bike in VietNam. [War sucks]
rpm

·
Registered
70 Posts
So my big question here is will the 900's electrical system handle heated gear? I know my old VN 750 couldn't do it, (that was a great bike but suffered from a marginal charging system at best) but I'm hoping now that I've upgraded to the 900 I can get some heated gloves. I refuse to put the bike away for the winter (it rarely gets that cold here in Jersey that you can't ride year round if you gear up) and though I have winter gloves they're not heated.

Answers?

Thx,

RG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ron G: My VN900 seems to handle both a heated jacket (liner) and gloves without any trouble. I use a power controller (FirstGear "Heat Troller") to separately regulate the temperature of the jacket and gloves. During the cold weather, I always plug my bike into my Battery Tender Plus when I get home from a ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To cold up here!!

Well right now it is -32C up here in alberta and I for one have put my bike away for the winter!!! I should also mention a BIG "Thank You" for all the help I got from the "Russian Wolf" in Alaska for helping me to get my bike running the way it is supposed to . I purchased it and it was running like hell with the aftermarket stuff on it. Thanks again!!!
Peter in airdrie, Alberta, Canada:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ride in New England nearly year round. I just make sure the roads have been cleared and are dry and that I wear warm clothing. The best are a heated vest/jacket under my yellow day-glow jacket and heated gloves. I haven't figured out yet how to keep my toes warm, though. I think that riding in all seasons is the best method for testing your skills so long as you maintain sensibility. I'm 63 and have been riding since my first bike in VietNam. [War sucks]
rpm
Props to you!! I'm in Ct. And it's too darn cold for me Brother!!
Peace!, Boots

·
Registered
10 Posts
rpm
I'm thinking the same with regard to maintaining skills. I have a friend who's a new rider and only rides few miles a month. SCARY... in my book.

Anywho, What about legs? is there any decent warm weather gear for legs in 20 to 30 deg weather that doesn't include electric heat? I imagine not... but I'd like to ask before I spend $$$ on stuff like cold weather Under-Armor.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm thinking the same with regard to maintaining skills. I have a friend who's a new rider and only rides few miles a month. SCARY... in my book.
I agree completely. I don't understand why people put themselves at so high risk. Back in the day, there weren't schools and good training, books, videos, etc available. You learned by doing. No need to do that today.

Anywho, What about legs? is there any decent warm weather gear for legs in 20 to 30 deg weather that doesn't include electric heat? I imagine not... but I'd like to ask before I spend $$$ on stuff like cold weather Under-Armor.
Dunno about the best, or best value, but I have a couple different pairs of thermal underware, one is under-armor IIRC. I wear fleece lined pants over them and leather chaps on top of that. I've kept my legs pretty warm down to riding in the low to mid 30s F. But, I have windshield lowers and chaps on my crash bar that helps a little with deflecting the wind.

I don't like doing that though. It gets rather cumbersome to wear all of that stuff.... Unfortunately, I haven't much of an alternative at the moment. :( I'm seriously considering going all electric liners. It would be very expensive, but it would greatly reduce the cumbersome aspect of the clothing and make the rides a lot more enjoyable. A good snowmobile suit might be a good alternative for warmth and comfort, but I don't like not having armor or leather protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Atlanta, down to about the mid 20's what works for me is a good set of chaps with a lining. That keeps the wind off the legs. For higher up a jacket with hoodie and motorcycle jacket over that. Thinsulate gloves are good for the trip to work usually (~ 30 miles one way). Full-face helmet, naturally. Tried it with half-helmet once at low temps. Never again :)

Bill
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, and there's so much traffic everywhere you generally can't go very fast, either.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts