Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Winter again

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  whoaru99 
#1 ·
Having my morning coffee in a snowstorm.....trying really hard to remember why I moved out here lol! I had my V2K out yesterday in the cold for about 8 hours. Fired it up to bring it back into the garage after moving all my saws (woodworking project) and it started to "clack" on the low left side of the motor. It has happened before, but only after spending a whole winter in the storage unit. Sounds like an old Chev 350 lifter clack. Any ideas? I am still running that Lucas Performance 20-50 and was just getting ready to change the oil before dragging the bike out to the storage unit but maybe it needs to go on the hoist for a different reason now lol. I haven't looked at the manual yet to see what is on that side besides the clutch and final drive pulley that can make noise, figured I would go the easy route and ask the forum......:devil2:

#2 ·
Considering you mention snowstorm, first thing I would do is dump the 20-50 and re-evaluate with a viscosity more appropriate for the temp.

I put 20-50 in my VN2K once, in summer, as summer goes in Minnesota. I think I dumped it within a week because the engine seemed to make more noise with that than 10-40. Right now I think it has 5-40 Rotella synthetic and like the way that seems to work.

#3 ·
On my list of things to do today..... which includes dragging my big ol' snowblower out of the shed and servicing it too. Not ready for the snow to stay yet and coming from Minnisota you know what I mean. Winter tires on the truck and van, bikes winterized and put to sleep, find the shovels :frown2: Got the V2K on the lift now, draining the oil. Just changed the oil on the 900 and only have a half dozen miles on it so it is good to head to the shed... Didn't even run a full tank of fuel thru the 900 this year...... still has stabilizer in it from last winter. Do you live in a part of Minnisota that celebrates Oktoberfest in a big way? Borscht, brats and kraut, sour cream and raisin pie, lebkuchen?:devil2:

#7 · (Edited)
On my list of things to do today..... which includes dragging my big ol' snowblower out of the shed and servicing it too. Not ready for the snow to stay yet and coming from Minnisota you know what I mean. Winter tires on the truck and van, bikes winterized and put to sleep, find the shovels /forums/images/VulcanForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png Got the V2K on the lift now, draining the oil. Just changed the oil on the 900 and only have a half dozen miles on it so it is good to head to the shed... Didn't even run a full tank of fuel thru the 900 this year...... still has stabilizer in it from last winter. Do you live in a part of Minnisota that celebrates Oktoberfest in a big way? Borscht, brats and kraut, sour cream and raisin pie, lebkuchen?/forums/images/VulcanForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Not so much Oktoberfest right around here. This be more Syttende Mai turf. Lefse, potato klub, and lutefisk. The first two I like. Lutefisk, uhhh...no.

That said, there are several microbreweries around that brew up an Oktoberfest beer and have a bit of a shindig on one of the October Saturdays.

New Ulm has a bigger deal for Oktoberfest. I think they have some stuff going on for at least a few days, if not more.

#6 · (Edited)
No, it doesn't actually suck. I can't stand much hot weather so for me that would suck; particularly if it's humid. Not that 90 is killer, but ya know what I mean.

I've been to Corpus when it's hot and humid. Like when you leave the hotel at 6AM and your glasses fog over. No thanks. ?

54F here right now. Sitting out by the firepit, enjoying a nice bit of Elijah Craig 12-yr barrel proof.

#9 ·
Changed the oil in the V2K for winter and then stripped it to the bone for storage..... not much bigger than the 900 Custom once you get all that baggage stuff off of it LOL! It sat in a heated garage all night and fired up without the clacking noise.... I think it wants to go back to Texas.:devil2: Worked in the storage unit today, balmy 0 deg C, so 32F for my southern brethren..... south of us got hammered with snow last couple of days (Calgary). We are quite fortunate in that we only got a couple of inches and most of that went with the rain yesterday:surprise: Supposed to be warm here this week and next, maybe in the 50's F. Good for beer and brats, borscht and kraut! Was thinking of trimming up an old set of leathers for lederhosen....... lol (I don't think they would appreciate the butt-lesness of my idea):wink2:

#11 ·
Not sure I can take that kind of heat for too long if I'm not moving fast lol. Kind of cool yesterday, just over freezing, but I took the V2K for a quick spin before depositing it into the storage bin.... I had forgotten how much fun it was to ride without all the creature comforts on it, no trunk, no bags, no shield, no passenger seat (or passenger lol), no passenger floorboards.... just motor and wheels (and a lot of noise):devil2: Gone until April now :crying2:

#12 ·
So speaking in reference to Winter, ugh here in NY starting to prep. My bike sits in an unheated garage all winter, concrete floors. I put it on a tarp so no moisture gets to the tires but this year i figured i'd ask what everyone's winter prep/storage routines are?

#13 ·
There's winter prep and winter overkill.
ITS up to each to decide what to do.
Because like oil and tires everyone has their own RIGHT opinion of what the right thing to do for winter storage.

I wont write my winter routine for that reason!

Just get'er ready boys, winters comin'!

#14 ·
My storage routine..
1. Drive 'till fuel tank is as low as I dare go.
2. Add Stabil (or whatever) and fill with non-oxy/pure gas.
3. Take a short drive to purge and circulate the fuel.
4. Change oil & filter, run briefly to circulate.
5. Put in unheated storage
6. Connect battery charger to be sure battery is topped off
7. Disconnect battery charger (no, I do not leave on maintainer, battery is original from when I bought bike new in 09 or 10...forget for sure, it was a 2008 carryover).
8. Close and lock storage door.
9. Come back in spring. Start bike, drive.

#16 ·
Thats about the same as me. this next tank i will run some Seafoam thru it to get all the junk out first. i dont normally do the charger until the spring when its in the 40's then i turn it on and let it bring it up slow.

Any concern w/ the moisture from the concrete on your tires? or put it on lifts?

#17 ·
Rubber can flex, bend, and return to it original shape.
Tires are made of rubber.
They put bicycle tires rolled up into boxes.
Then you pull them out and mount them and no problems!

Cold MIGHT make the tires change their form, but when the weather warms and you move the bike the tires will return to their shape.
Has anyone had it happen or read about anyone having a deformed tire after winter storage? Nope its a non-issue.

#20 ·
I store my bikes off-site so I probably go a little on the overkill side of things. Stabilizer in the tank, change the oil, pull off the bags, trunk, seats, w/s..... pull the batteries out and store them in a heated garage at home, off of the maintainer until just before spring (mid April). I also check the anti-freeze to make sure it is -40 or so.

#21 · (Edited)
Actually, leaving the battery in cold storage is better than bringing it in the warm.

A battery is a chemical process. Cold slows down the chemical process and for storage that's better.

As long as it is charged it and there isn't parasitic load to drain it (disconnect negative cable if you want to be sure there is no parasitic load) it will be perfectly fine. The rate of self discharge drops to nil in the cold (the slowed chemical reaction thing).

#22 ·
93 degrees with clear skies today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.