Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 05 VN 2000 and love it. It has a switchblade windshield on it which I like. When it's on however, I get a ton of wind buffetting at highway speeds. With a helmet on my head is bouncing all over the place. It seems like it's coming from under the windshield.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which lowers would fit on my vn2000 and stop this problem.

Thanks,

Nate

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I put the factory ones on mine and they helped lots but not 100%. My next step is to space out the bottom of the windshield mount so it tilts back more along the lines of the fork rake angle.

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Has anyone tried to do a plexiglas "chap" instead of buying synthetic leather chaps? Maybe a wild idea, but thought that besides the buffeting/wind help it would allow the look of the bike to remain & not be blocked w/a solid chap.
Thought about using clamps similar to those for homemade lowers to attach plexiglass to highway/engine guard. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
553 Posts
The angle of the stock Vn2K windshield is indeed to straight up anddown.
I modified the brackets and it now has roughly the same angle as the forks.

No more buffeting. No lowers needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Is it a major deal to tilt the windshield back? Bet it helps with the bug problem, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought an 05 VN 2000 and love it. It has a switchblade windshield on it which I like. When it's on however, I get a ton of wind buffetting at highway speeds. With a helmet on my head is bouncing all over the place. It seems like it's coming from under the windshield.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which lowers would fit on my vn2000 and stop this problem.

Thanks,

Nate
Which switchblade do you have? they have 4 that fit our bike. 2up, shorty, chopped and a deflector model. If its the shorty 2up or chopped this link will work. Simple http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/lower.html

If you have the deflector then I dont think lowers will improve it much! Hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to 2 up model. I went ahead and installed the chrome lowers that are made for the switchblade and it stopped all the buffetting. Much quieter. I'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Is it a major deal to tilt the windshield back? Bet it helps with the bug problem, too.

Not if you have some good tools. You simply change the upper slide hole from a straight (l) shape to a (L) shape. I made it about an inch long. allows it to tilt almost 2 inches at the top. No more buffeting. And it's free. No need for lowers. At least for me. Good Luck.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have the factory lower for my windshield. I bought a piece of Lexan on ebay and made new pieces that are about two inches wider and come up within a inch or so of my Clearview windshield. It really cut the buffeting. The Clearview is great and had helped a lot. I also picked up a pair of desert dawgs for my Cobra fatty highway bars and they really shut off the turbulence behind the shield. Its too hot to have them on in the summer here in New Mexico but I will use them this winter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dadinator, that doesnt sound too bad. Could you post a picture of your handiwork? Would be greatly appreciated. Thnx, Cheron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the small Switchblade Deflector model?

I want a windshield, but a huge window sitting on top of the nacelle.. I think the Deflector is the nicest and least bulky one.

On pictures there seems to be a gap between the windshield and the nacelle.. does that affect the deflection of wind at high speeds? It seems that it can be lowered it a little if the brackets are modified..

Anyone riding comfortably with this windshield?
http://shop.vn-teile.de/product_info.php?info=p1202_switchblade-deflector-windshield---vn-2000.html

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the small Switchblade Deflector model? I want a windshield, but a huge window sitting on top of the nacelle.. I think the Deflector is the nicest and least bulky one.
that small deflector is like yor girlfriend wearing a bikini in a hurricane and you telling her that she looks good and wont get wet.. yeah rite.

there is a reason why folks who ride long distance have big shields or better yet a streamlined fairings. they work.
if yor going into a storm, put on the whole wet suit. not just your shades cuz you think they make you look good... they dont. poncho

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
wise words spoken by ponch. keep in mind aerodynamics. Smooth protection bubble is better than a big rough one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aerodynamics are also my concern. I don't ride in storms, I just want the pressure off of my chest, so I dont have to cling onto the handlebars like i do, getting sore forearms at the occational long distance highway rides..
But if my head is flung around by the turbulance, it's just a crappy and untested product.. That's what i would like someone to tell me from experience if it is or not.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the small Switchblade Deflector model?

I want a windshield, but a huge window sitting on top of the nacelle.. I think the Deflector is the nicest and least bulky one.

On pictures there seems to be a gap between the windshield and the nacelle.. does that affect the deflection of wind at high speeds? It seems that it can be lowered it a little if the brackets are modified..

Anyone riding comfortably with this windshield?
http://shop.vn-teile.de/product_info.php?info=p1202_switchblade-deflector-windshield---vn-2000.html
I had one of these Deflectors and a 2 Up on my Switchblade mount on my last V2K.
I'm going to get another Deflector for the current V2K. The 2000 has such an extensive front end you won't need the big shield. I could cruise all day at 200 kph with no issue with this shield. The gap allows the airflow to smooth out. In my opinion this shield matches the big Vulcan like no other could, I love it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
VNK2 Dane

That's not a windshield, that's half a sun glass, he, he.
I put the big Rifle screen on mine and I'm very happy. I have tilted the screen to in line with the forks, and chrome lowers.
When riding at cruise speed, put either hand between bottom of screen and the tank and feel the wind pushing up through the gap without lowers. Heaps! Lowers help,"fact".

Enjoy
Terry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts