Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to Biking. I just purchased a vulcan 900 classic without knowing how to even start one. I took it for a ride today, not bad for my first time but was wondering if a windshield would be better to have installed. I have a little helmet and the wind seems to impair my hearing would a windshield help. I really didn't like a full helmet. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hello I'm new to Biking. I just purchased a vulcan 900 classic without knowing how to even start one. I took it for a ride today, not bad for my first time but was wondering if a windshield would be better to have installed. I have a little helmet and the wind seems to impair my hearing would a windshield help. I really didn't like a full helmet. Thanks
i really didnt like the stock windshield on my classic lt when i bought it, i can tell you that i wouldnt use any other type having just finished my trip, i use a open face helmet (covers the ears)on the superslab and a shorty around town, the shield stops the bugs, cuts the wind noise, stops the rain , when Im touring i still use earplugs, you can still hear but it cuts the droan of constant wind, noise etc for long distances, the open face helmet also saves your ears from getting sun / wind burnt. Now if they just had something for my nose .... LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
A Windshield would make a huge difference, however I would also recommend that once your comfortable riding the bike, take it on a highway without a windshield on a nice day and see how ya like it. When I first started riding, I swore up and down I would never ride without a windshield cuz of all the stories I heard about "needing" a windshield over 35 mph. I have the 2009 900 custom, I ride on highways pretty much every day, and I have yet to ride with a windshield. Then again, most of my rides aren't really long... usually about 80 miles at a clip. Last week I ordered a National Cycle StreetFighter EX windshield, just to have for the long trip. It comes with quick-disconnects, cuz let's face it, none of us wanna ruin the beauty of our bikes with a shield that ya cant just pop off and hide somewhere:rolleyes: Anyway... good luck with your bike. And as for the shield: See what works for you. I personally love the feeling of riding on highways just me,the bike, the wind, and the road. I have never found the wind to be unbearable, and it really is a great feeling. Good luck, and remember just because you buy a shield, it's not permanant! I also wear a half helmet, and the first time I rode on the highway the noise bothered me. But again, as I became more comfortable riding, I began not to even notice the noise. These days, the wind just feels normal. Once you start riding, and get comfortable on the bike, and riding with other cars, you will enjoy the ride, and you wont even notice the noise. Get a detachable shield. Although I hear once you ride with a shield, its tough to go back. We will see what happens, my shield is in the mail lol... Ride safe and have fun... with or without a shield

·
Registered
249 Posts
I say order the stock windshield from Kawi and accept nothing less. I recently took it down to the Outer Banks for vacation and one of my windshield bolts vibrated off. There were still 7 others in place so it was fine, but I had to fix it as soon as I got home cause I'm OCD like that. :) I took the windshield off until I got a chance replace the chrome bolt. I had forgotten how miserable it is without a windshield!!!

1. I couldn't hear my wife sitting right behind me
  2. I live in an area with coal trucks (West Virginia, go figure) so I got pelted every time one passed me
  3. I ride to work every day so bug juice would get on my pants and shirt
  4. Harder to breathe with all that wind rushing at your face (particularly at slab speeds)
  5. Particles would get into my eyes because the extra force of the wind would get behind my glasses/goggles
  6. Finally I ride in the rain and it's downright painful without a shield
Some love 'em, some hate 'em. I'm in the love 'em category.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm in the both
Just took mine off in this heat,feels good to have the wind to cool down.Noticed I ride slower now as I feel like I'm going faster ,sure that won't last long.The shield is nice in the rain & cold.I where a full face even with the shield but have it low so I look over it,hated looking threw it.There is more noise with out the shield for sure when I ride with the lid up on the FF

Just ordered the gold wing vent to put in shield before it goes back on, which won't be till after august.maybe next year I won't have to take it off to feel some air.

As suggested above go with the detachable ,I know I would have but this bike came with this one so I'll stick with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put the cafe windshield on mine and it definitely made a difference on the freeway. Without it, I have to have a death grip or I feel like I'm going to get blown off the back of the bike.

With that being said, save the money and take the damn MSF course. It will money better spent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As I wrote in my previous post, I was awaiting the arrival of a National Cycle "Street Fighter EX" shield. Well the shield came and look very sturdy and well constructed. The problem was the mounting hardware was generic, and no matter how I tried to configure it, the brackets would not fit. The "EX" model is supposedly "quick disconnect", but the way the parts fit together, it looked like the windshield would disconnect and fly off on the freeway. Considering the good reviews this windshield got, and the fact that the website said it would be an exact fit for an '09 Vn 900 Custom, I was extremely disappointed. Anyway, the windshield is being returned, and I'm back to cruising around without a shield..... until I get myself a the Cafe shield from Kawasaki.... Ride Safe!

·
Registered
137 Posts
with my recent road slide, I ruined my stock windshield. Instead of replacing it with another stocker, I bought the 22" slipstream. It is fully adjustable and I haver mine pulled back to the same angle as the forks. Very nice ride albeit not as wide as the stock shield, it seems to cut better throught the air.

·
Registered
451 Posts
+1 for OEM windshield. I had a Memphis fats tall on my Suzuki C50, and the Kaw OEM shield on my LT is far superior in every respect--calmer behind it, less buffeting, better protection all around.

·
Registered
950 Posts
First, Congrats on the new bike! Nice choice, although you should probably take a riders safety course soon. I found mine quite beneficial.

I think the windshield thing is a personal choice. I took mine out once without one and went straight to Kawasaki and bought the OEM shield. Huge improvement. I don't like feeling a 70-100 mph wind blasting me in the chest.

I also like the safety factor. I have had four vehicle windshields cracked from flying rocksover the years. Now, just imagine one of those coming at your open faced helmet. It could kill you or cause an accident very easily. A windshield will deflect those objects.

For what it's worth, I feel vulnerable without a full faced helmet. When I was a kid my friend and I were riding. He went over the handlebars once and hit the road face first. He lost his front teeth, broke his jaw, broke his nose and lost a ton of skin. I rode with a 3/4 helmet once. I kept seeing my buddy in my mind, and it's been full face every since.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Even though I have the Custom, the benefits of a shield are the same. I love riding without one. Especially when the weather is great. I keep mine on most of the time for 2 reasons. 2 up riding I can hear what my wife is saying at speed, good or bad. And also for night time. One drive through the country at night will convince you to use a wind shield.

I have the Memphis Shades with quick disconnect. It was a perfect fit, very adjustable and comes off in seconds. Would not buy anything else.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Had a large hunk of tire come off a truck one night as I was riding through Atlanta, hit me in the chest, almost took me off the bike, knocked the breath out of me, made it to the shoulder and took about 20 minutes before I could ride on, I have had a shield and full face hat since,, be safe ride for the love of the road

1 - 13 of 13 Posts