Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searched alot of threads and found where the same brands of lowers were either praised or pounded for working well or not working at all. However, there was almost never a mention of what windshield was used in conjunction with the Lowers. This will be helpful in minimizing buffeting if we participate.

What bike do you have?
What windshield do you have on it.?
What production lowers do you have on it that work well?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
This is a good idea, but there are still a ton of variables, including the size and posture of the rider, type and quality of helmet, etc. This is one of those things that you've really got to either get used to, or experiment with. Few people ever report that they completely eliminate buffeting. You can reduce it! But it takes tweaking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Romans - Nobody is saying eliminate buffeting.
If you do a search for lowers or buffeting you will see what I mean. Lack of informatijon.
All this thread is for is to give folks an idea what works or helps and what combinations of windshields and lowers may be a waste of time and money. If people contribute then it can be used for a reference and if not the thread will be a waste and go away.
For example - if you have a windshield and lowers on your bike why not post what they are and if they helped. People seem to respect what you write and may follow suit.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
On my 2007 Nomad I used Edmonds NST lowers with the stock windshield at maximum height. That and switching helmets from HJC to Nolan pretty much eliminated the buffeting.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would really be interested in knowing why the helmet has an effect. I know it does, but don't know why. If I wear my snowmobile modular it all but eliminates the buffeting that is present with my half helmet

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would really be interested in knowing why the helmet has an effect. I know it does, but don't know why. If I wear my snowmobile modular it all but eliminates the buffeting that is present with my half helmet
I'm certainly no aeronautical engineer (though I intended to be at one time), but I can tell you that some helmets are far more aerodynamic than others. An open face helmet will always catch more air than a full face. And some full face helmets are more aerodynamic than others. Buffeting with the HJC IS-Max wasn't too bad, but I discovered that buffeting with my setup was far less when I switched to the Nolan N43E.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
On my 2007 Nomad I used Edmonds NST lowers with the stock windshield at maximum height. That and switching helmets from HJC to Nolan pretty much eliminated the buffeting.

Is there any chance you'd have the part #'s for your windshield/mounting brackets & Lowers? Thats almost exactly the set up I've been looking for. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is there any chance you'd have the part #'s for your windshield/mounting brackets & Lowers? Thats almost exactly the set up I've been looking for. :D
Steammaker, Nomad 1600s come with small lowers and a height adjustable windshield so the mounting brackets are all stock. I adjusted the windshield to its maximum height and replaced the OEM lowers with Edmonds NST lowers. You can get them here http://edmondslowers.homestead.com/EdmondsEnterprises.html.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I never would have believed it. I do now.

Standard OEM Kawasaki windshield and mounting system. Non adjustable.

Memphis shades lowers. The standard short ones. P/N MEP5810 Clear

Memphis Shades mounting brackets. P/N MEP9892

Realistically killed about 80-90% of the buffeting immediately. Very pleasant ride now compared to before the lowers were installed. Had the typical buffeting that would almost blur your vision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there a big diff. between the nomad front end and the Lt Classic front end? just wondering, if the edmonston lowers would work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have a Memphis Shades 19 inch windshield, a set of homemade lowers -- learned on this forum -- that cost me about $35 to rig up, and a full face helmet. I have almost no buffeting, makes cold weather riding much more pleasant :)

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Currently I have a Memphis Shades Speed Demon windshield and home made lowers and works very well. But, getting ready to make a change to a batwing fairing with the home made lowers. Should be even better wind protection, especially with colder weather ahead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My '06 Nomad (since departed) had the stock windshield and, I replaced the stock lowers with a set of custom wide lowers from Chucksters customs http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/Home/Products", cost $48.00. The difference with the custom lowers was considerable and provided an almost total buffeting free ride. I had expected an improvement but, the custom lowers far exceeded my expectations. They also allowed for cool/cold weather comfort, which greatly extended the riding season (which was my primary reason for purchasing them).

I had also added a set of risers which resulted in the windshield having to be set to the highest position, which was fine by me. Added info: I'm 5'10" tall.

If anyone's interested, I have the custom wide lowers and also hand guards (never used) for sale.:eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
How about the Bullet fairing? Did anyone tried it on their bike? How will does it work?

·
Registered
243 Posts
How are those lowers held on Jammin"John? Do they look adaptable to any bike?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
On my 900LT I had the stock windshield set to lowest setting and OEM lowers.

When I first installed the lowers I would have rated them a 3 or 4 out of 10.
When I went to sell the bike, I removed them a few weeks early and the difference was pretty significant.
After getting used to them and removing them; I would rate them around a 7.

Scott

1 - 20 of 23 Posts