Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that a lot of guys are running without windshields and bags. How much does it affect your ability to ride long distances and your comfort? I've always had a windshield so it's an unknown for me.
Does the wind beat you to death or is it just something you gotta put up with?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Well. I never had a windshield on a bike until recently. I purchased one from another forum member and installed it. I had got it down to a smaller level of buffeting what was left was caused by my helmet. After I took a few rides with it I decided it was not for me. I took it off and it is now hung up in my out building. My wife and I ride with full face helmet. The only time I miss the windshield is when it is cold. I can't help but feel that if I wanted to ride on a leather seat with a windshield in front of me I would hop in the wife Chrysler Sebring and lay the top back.

I was dead set of getting a shield on the bike and after I did. I just did not like it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I always take my windshield off during moderate temperatures and before the bugs come out. In Oklahoma we have more than our share of June Bugs, the windshield goes back on at the first reported sighting of a June Bug. They hurt like hell, and they always seem to hit me dead center on the forehead. Amazing how a 1/2 ounce bug can cause so much physical pain.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just tagging this post, wanted to see what others say, I also ride with windshield

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Just tagging this post, wanted to see what others say, I also ride with windshield
FYI, you can subscribe to thread by using the "Thread Tools" menu at the top of the first post. It is a pull down menu and in it there is a "Subscribe to Thread" button.

·
Registered
97 Posts
to shield or not to shield

drove without windshield in the summer. wintered through with shield. I think warm weather will find me sans shield... I think

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live within a mile of Lake Houston which is a glory hole for bugs. My Jeep always has bugs on the windshield and when I ride my bike across the bridge I get splattered by them again.
Don't know if I want to tangle with them. I was just wondering how you guys tolerate the bugs, wind and debris.

·
Registered
702 Posts
After 40+ years of riding, I wouldn't DREAM of riding any distance without a windshield, regardless of season. In addition to the windshield, the V2K has hard lowers, too. Just try riding 800+ miles in one day without one.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I live within a mile of Lake Houston which is a glory hole for bugs. My Jeep always has bugs on the windshield and when I ride my bike across the bridge I get splattered by them again.
Don't know if I want to tangle with them. I was just wondering how you guys tolerate the bugs, wind and debris.
2 ways, either use a full face, or glasses and keep ya mouth shut. :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
After 40+ years of riding, I wouldn't DREAM of riding any distance without a windshield, regardless of season. In addition to the windshield, the V2K has hard lowers, too. Just try riding 800+ miles in one day without one.

Does the wind beat on you ? why would you not ride with out one

·
Registered
702 Posts
After 800 miles (which is the distance from rural MS to Johnson City,TN) the constant buffeting takes it's toll on the body, especially if that body is 60 years old. Between that, bugs, believe it or not, dust in the air and even HAIL, I just prefer not to ride without one. The cold weather is even more of a factor. Without it, the constant freezing blast sucks the warmth and chills you to the bone, literally, even on short rides.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I can't imagine long distances without one either, even though others do it.

For me, it's especially bad at highway speeds. It just wears you out. The constant pressure of the wind and being beat up by it, you just get a lot of fatigue. Rain without a windshield stings! But with a windshield it's not to bad. I wear a full face too so I don't really have to worry about the bugs too much. But for me it's just the wind. I needed lowers to get the buffeting down so I didn't get beat up with my helmet. But after that, it's super comfy! Several hundred miles at a time is no big deal with a windshield and some decent storage.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just installed a 19 inch memphis shade a few weeks ago and even in up and down weather, I'm really surprised how much bug juice I have to remove.

I much prefer full wind but for protection and breaking thru the wind, the shield is useful.
I like the quick release and do expect to remove it to ride whenever in the mood.

The big trucks are a reminder of the need. They are murder on cage glass!

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I'm convinced. I'm leaving it on. BTW, I'm 66 years old and come to think of it I kinda don't like getting hit in the face by bugs and rocks. I've even put hand guards on to protect my delicate little hands, LMFAO! and lowers to help stop the buffeting. They work.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Okay, I'm convinced. I'm leaving it on. BTW, I'm 66 years old and come to think of it I kinda don't like getting hit in the face by bugs and rocks. I've even put hand guards on to protect my delicate little hands, LMFAO! and lowers to help stop the buffeting. They work.
My opinion is that of a 28 yo guy. I don't mind the constant pressure of the wind.

All this is fine and good, but when a hawk swoops out of the sky and is headed straight for your face at 80mph, all bets are off. Been there, done that.
I was almost there with a turkey once.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts