Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put a vent in the windshield of a voyager? I ordered a windshield vent that fits the Honda Goldwing. It looks pretty straight forward. Cutting a hole in my windshield is the only tough part that I see. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Were you thinking of putting some sort of shutter-thing (to open/close) in the hole or just cutting a hole and leaving it?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've put a Goldwing vent in my 12" Windvest shield, and it's a worthwhile addition. It certainly seems to help relieve the back-pressure and reduce the turbulence - as well as providing some welcome air on a hot day.

You can find templates online for cutting the hole. Hold the inside part of the vent up against the screen to determine height, mask everything up well both sides, and with a combination of drill & jigsaw it's a simple operation.

The Goldwing screen must be a lot thicker than the Windvest, and it was a little loose to begin with. I fixed that using some thin adhesive backed foam window seal around the inside piece of the vent, and it now clamps up nice & tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Very interesting modification. This is one Ma Kaw should have made available.

How difficult is it to get ahold of the Goldwing screen?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Poppop: Upon re-reading your initial comment, I see that you already mentioned the Goldwing vent setup. I missed that the first time I read it. Anyway, that was what I was thinking about when I asked about the "shutter-thing".

As you can see, it will look nice when you do yours.

·
Registered
674 Posts

It's not a Goldwing screen... it's a Goldwing vent in my Voyager screen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anyone ever put a vent in the windshield of a voyager? I ordered a windshield vent that fits the Honda Goldwing. It looks pretty straight forward. Cutting a hole in my windshield is the only tough part that I see. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.
I cheated.. ordered mine from Clearveiw w the vent....

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've put a Goldwing vent in my 12" Windvest shield, and it's a worthwhile addition. It certainly seems to help relieve the back-pressure and reduce the turbulence - as well as providing some welcome air on a hot day.

You can find templates online for cutting the hole. Hold the inside part of the vent up against the screen to determine height, mask everything up well both sides, and with a combination of drill & jigsaw it's a simple operation.

The Goldwing screen must be a lot thicker than the Windvest, and it was a little loose to begin with. I fixed that using some thin adhesive backed foam window seal around the inside piece of the vent, and it now clamps up nice & tight.
Can you direct the airflow up the backside of the shield with that vent?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes
It's got a cover plate that you can open or close in 4 positions just like GW

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
And even when closed, it has four small openings that direct air straight up along the back of the screen. I found that mine rattles just a little when fully closed, so I usually keep it open one notch.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Peg: I guess the day I read this thread was my day to make all sorts of mistakes left and right. I did mean to type "vent" instead of screen.

dlars: As for the vent shown in the link you supplied, I'd have to see one installed, I guess. Just the picture of one alone doesn't give a good mental image of the finished project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peg, this is exactly what I'm trying to do! I see from another post Clearview actually makes a windshield with the vent already installed. If I screw up my windshield, that will be my next step! By the way, it looks great on your bike. Do you like the position you placed it? It's a little lower than I was going to go, but I think it looks really good where you placed it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

As easy as pulling up Amazon and ordering it! I believe it was $28.95. Pretty cheap for what I'm hoping is some air flow on those hot, Central Florida days!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Peg, this is exactly what I'm trying to do! I see from another post Clearview actually makes a windshield with the vent already installed. If I screw up my windshield, that will be my next step! By the way, it looks great on your bike. Do you like the position you placed it? It's a little lower than I was going to go, but I think it looks really good where you placed it.
I wanted it as low as I could get it without touching the dash, and it's perfect down there. The only drawback is it's very hard to clean underneath it.

Be cautious about the cheaper Chinese knock-offs (and at $29 it may be one of those). I tried one, and it was useless. The wind just blew it open when it was closed. I ended up getting another one (genuine part - rider side only) from Ron Ayers. This one works perfectly. Hopefully your experience will be better.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Great Addition !!!

Yep,
GREAT addition !!!

Did this on my 1600 Classic windshield a couple years back...
Template came with the vent, so after a few minutes measuring, you want to make sure that it is absolutely straight,
I marked the hole, taped the windshield off around it inside and out, and then drilled the 4 "corners" of the inside of the hole with a bit just large enough to fit my jigsaw blade into...
I used a blade made for metal but they may make a blade specific for this, I used what I had...
Key is to use a multi tooth blade to minimize any chipping...
The Kawasaki OEM windshield for the 1600 is pretty thick and made by National Cycle...
It is thicker than the particular Goldwing vent that I had acquired which caused some issues...
The vent was designed to slide onto the windshield on the bottom and then 2 small stainless bolts go into the top 2 corners...
Due to the thickness and the curvature, which was a REAL issue, of my windshield...
I had to use some clear silicone and 2 additional stainless bolts on the bottom topped off with stainless acorn nuts...
Final product is AWESOME !!!

With the addition of my DIY lowers and the Goldwing Vent and I have...
NO MORE BUFFETING !!!
Nice air flow in the summer, too...
AND it is adjustable...

One of THE best additions !!!

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

Let'er Buck,
Seven O'Nine !!!
Luckymann77

1 - 16 of 16 Posts