Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys really helped narrow it down for my boots and riding jeans. Now I'll ask about a windshield for my 2012, 900 Classic. I don't need one while crusing the curvy back farm-to-market roads at 50-55 mph, but group riding at 60+ mph for their 50-100 mile (one way) day trips I know I'll need one. Prefer one I can take off when riding locally. So many to choose from. Can anyone advise? Pros and Cons. By the way, I'm 6' tall and don't ride at night if it make a difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Slipstreamer SS-17-CT (17" above the headlight, clear shield) and I like it very much. It is just about the right height for me (I'm 5' 9"), I can see over the top of it without issue. I experience no head buffeting or anything like that with my Skid Lid half helmet. The wind protection at 70mph is very good. I don't feel like I'm getting hit in the chest and face at highway speeds anymore. It also looks good on the bike: wide enough and short enough to go with the Classic styling. I found it on ebay for $180 shipped.

The downsides: the chrome plating on the inside of the included hardware in my kit was a little spotty. Not a huge issue if you keep your bike in a garage and don't ride in the rain, but otherwise there's a potential for rust to develop eventually. Installation was a bit of a pain; the instructions aren't that great, frankly. For $180 though, I feel it's a good deal and it should last a while.

Here it is on my 2012 Classic SE.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I ride a custom so I'll stay away from styling tips but: I have Memphis shades and I firmly believe that anyone who spends the money for quick release hardware has too much money to burn and should send me some of it. The only real advantage to quick release is that you don't need tools to take the shield off. When do you expect to take off your windshield without access to tools? Roadside? When you stop at Denny's for breakfast? The only tool you need to remove an MS windshield is an allen wrench and it fits in the tool kit under the seat, or you can bring the T-handle they give you in your saddle bag. My windshield comes off in about 30 seconds and leaves behind nearly identical hardware to the trigger lock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ah, I missed that you prefer a quick removal shield. The Slipstreamer doesn't come off terribly quickly. I'd estimate you'd need about 8-10 minutes or so with an allen wrench and a 7/16" wrench to do it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

My first seven bikes didn't have windshields and I was much younger. My Suzuki Cavalcade had one but it was built in. The only reason I mentioned "quick release" is because someone tried to sell me one that they took off their bike before they traded it. Now that I know it's no big deal to remove, then I'll just say I need advice for a windshield for a 6' rider of a 2012 Classic SE. Yes, I would like to maintain the "old school" classic look.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You didn't mention fairings, but if you can part with a little extra $, I'd recommend the Memphis Shades batwing (with at least a 9" shield). Super quick on & off, good wind protection, and most importantly, great looks!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I decided to go with the Memphis Shades Speed Demon (Solar so it blends in well). I am 6' and I just see over the top (it's 18" tall above the headlight). Provides good coverage, no longer fell like I am getting beat up on my chest.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I decided to go with the Memphis Shades Speed Demon (Solar so it blends in well). I am 6' and I just see over the top (it's 18" tall above the headlight). Provides good coverage, no longer fell like I am getting beat up on my chest.
I have the Demon and like it , vary minimalistic with out the large metal straps many have. It's a little wider across the bottom than the standard Speed Demon for more hand deflection, almost a mini faring.
The Speed Demon has a better mounting system and now is offered in a wide version, I would go with that if I didn't already have the Demon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Memphis Shades Classic Duece, and while it does an awesome job of keeping the wind off of my chest, the buffeting on my head is ridiculous....feels like my eyeballs are going to vibrate out of the sockets (I wear a full face, always have, always will). I'm 5'11" and the shield is very adjustable, and I even took my allen wrenches with me on a ride to allow for adjustments. I've adjusted the damned thing every direction to no avail. I've got some custom lowers coming in the mail that I bought from a member of these forums....hoping that makes a difference. :confused:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a Memphis Shades Classic Duece, and while it does an awesome job of keeping the wind off of my chest, the buffeting on my head is ridiculous....feels like my eyeballs are going to vibrate out of the sockets (I wear a full face, always have, always will). I'm 5'11" and the shield is very adjustable, and I even took my allen wrenches with me on a ride to allow for adjustments. I've adjusted the damned thing every direction to no avail. I've got some custom lowers coming in the mail that I bought from a member of these forums....hoping that makes a difference. :confused:
I have the big shot with the plates and it did great for me, even at 100. It's for sale.

Life......Pshhh, I would rather be riding

·
Registered
399 Posts
You guys really helped narrow it down for my boots and riding jeans. Now I'll ask about a windshield for my 2012, 900 Classic. I don't need one while crusing the curvy back farm-to-market roads at 50-55 mph, but group riding at 60+ mph for their 50-100 mile (one way) day trips I know I'll need one. Prefer one I can take off when riding locally. So many to choose from. Can anyone advise? Pros and Cons. By the way, I'm 6' tall and don't ride at night if it make a difference.
I have a Memphis shades big shot with all mounting hardware for sale. It's 20 inches tall and I'm about 6 foot. I have pictures of it on my 900

Life......Pshhh, I would rather be riding

1 - 20 of 24 Posts