Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am looking to make a decision on a windshield in the next few weeks so I can have one when the snow melts up in here in the great white north. I had never considered how the height of the windshield would be a factor before I read a previous thread on it (wind buffeting etc).
On my 500 the windshield seemed to work perfect. I just measured my 'old' Memphis Slims windshield and it measures just over 15" from the top to the bottom (above the headlight)
For my 900, suggestions on windshield height? I am 5'8"

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
950 Posts
Skinny,

Cruiser Customizing has a nice video on selecting windshields. Basically, the top of the windshield should be around the bridge of your nose. I am 5'9" and the OEM windshield (20 inch) is perfect. However, everybody has a different body type. It's probably best to measure while sitting on a bike. You might drop by your local bike shop and see if they have something you can check out.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Any place that sells Memphis Shades stuff should have a fitting kit (just a winshield with lines on it that they hold up and look through while you sit on your bike). That will help you get the right height the first time.

Most shields have a little bit of adjustment to them, in both height and angle.

FWIW, I went with a MS batwing fairing with a 9" shield. I'm 5'10"

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm 5' 10" and went with the MS Slim at 17". But this was a mistake. For one, I should have gotten the Fats version. Secondly, the top edge of the 17" shield was right in my line of site. I was always stretching to look over or hunching to look under. I ended up cutting it down to a 15" shield and I love it. Although, I will get a Fats version if I ever decide to replace it.

With that said, you have to decide if you want to look over or through the shield. Even the 13" shield will deflect most of the wind over and around you, so that is not as big of an issue. But one thing to keep in mind is rain. I have found that in a rainy riding, it is almost impossible to see through both your rain covered riding glasses/helmet shield and then the windshield too. So, if you are ever worried about getting caught in the rain, I suggest getting a shield that you can look over the top of. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am 5' 7". I have the Memphis Fats 17". I can see over it perfectly. I did have to change the pitch (make it more straight up) to stop the buffeting. In this position I can see right over the top no problem. I have a stock seat and the way I sit, I see over it no problem.

My two cents

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts