Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Vulcan 900 Classic for a couple of weeks now - without a windshield. I'm getting the OEM 'short' version and it should be in soon. Now that I'm used to riding without one, I really enjoy it, but wondering now what difference it will make in riding with it on. For example, I know it blocks the wind (and bugs), but does it increase the buffeting when a truck passes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2009 900 Classic LT with the touring get up. It has a full size factory windshield (which I think is too big as I look through it, not over it) and the wind buffeting was horrible. I was beat to death on a 200 mile ride one day, I mean my glasses were shaking inside my helmet.

I removed it about 2 months ago. I think I put it back on once just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, and yep it came back off soon as I got home. Some people like the factory windshield, but I figure I ride with a full face shield on my helmet so it doesn't matter. Sure, I may get hit with a few more bugs and the occasional rock, but I can deal with that for a smooth ride.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a 2009 900 Classic LT with the touring get up. It has a full size factory windshield (which I think is too big as I look through it, not over it) and the wind buffeting was horrible. I was beat to death on a 200 mile ride one day, I mean my glasses were shaking inside my helmet.

I removed it about 2 months ago. I think I put it back on once just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, and yep it came back off soon as I got home. Some people like the factory windshield, but I figure I ride with a full face shield on my helmet so it doesn't matter. Sure, I may get hit with a few more bugs and the occasional rock, but I can deal with that for a smooth ride.
I did the same with my 2012 LT. I tried it for a while, but the buffeting was too much. The only real way to beat the buffeting is to buy lowers. They mount under the windshield on the fork tubes. The buffeting we experience is not from the top of the windshield, but underneath it. If you want to keep the windshield, you will want lowers, too. Besides, I rather enjoy not using a windshield. For one, the top was in the wrong spot. Either look over it, or under it. Two, I just don't like the look of them and they reduce fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
With my 900 Classic LT I've found that raising the OEM windshield to its maximum height eliminated the full-face helmet buffeting I had when the windshield was lower. The only problem is that I have to strain to see over the top when it is misty, rainy, etc., since I can't see through the windshield for safe visibility under those conditions.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I have the OEM. I raised it a couple of notches and it was a little better but now I can see over it. I did find a place local here that can cut down the windshield if needed. I guess pulling the trigger on the lowers is the next step. Now is this only a problem on the 9 or you guys on the bigger bikes having the same problem?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have the OEM. I raised it a couple of notches and it was a little better but now I can see over it. I did find a place local here that can cut down the windshield if needed. I guess pulling the trigger on the lowers is the next step. Now is this only a problem on the 9 or you guys on the bigger bikes having the same problem?
Yeah, it happens on bigger bikes, too. My Dad has A VN1700 and he bought lowers. Says it completely eliminated the buffeting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I won't ride a motorcycle without a shield. Yes, there is some buffeting from the low side of the shield. Lowers would help.

I put 12,000 miles on my Goldwing this year traveling in the southwest. Riding 80 mph and in the wind would have been the end of me.

Here is the test. Ride 100 miles without one and then 100 miles with one. Then decide. The looks of the motorcycle shouldn't be the number 1 deciding factor.

Some people will go to great lengths to make their bike "cool." Throw away the fenders and grab some single thin seat, and throw away the shield. It looks like it is going 70 mph on the side stand, but how does it do in the rain?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I ride a 1500 Classic with a large windshield that tops out level with the bridge of my nose. I never have buffetting and don't use lowers. I get a nice breeze, but not buffetting. probably has something to do with the angle of the shield, curvature, and size of the rider I suppose.

I put my windshield on two months after I bought it. 70 mph all day with no windshield was murder on my abs and arms. Of course, it's a cruiser so the shield doesn't look bad on it anyway, but in my 45k of riding it, I've been pelted with rocks, sticks, hay, cow urine and crap from cattle trucks, ice cubes from fast food drink cups flung out the window, and lit cigarette butts. I'd never ride without the shield now.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My 05 Vulcan 800 came with a Memphis Shades windshield. I put about 8k with the regular-sized shield, and then added a bigger one.

It changed the buffeting, so I may go back to the smaller one. Cigars lasted longer on the taller one though ;)

Having moved to the Vaquero, I had a 9" KlockWerks screen with the spoiler curve, and it was ok, but I still got a fair amount of wind buffeting. The 12" KW w/spoiler has completely fixed that.

-John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I've been riding without a windshield for almost 6 weeks, but it's arrived and having it installed tomorrow. I'm skeptical that I'll like it. I've enjoyed not having one. But, with the colder weather approaching it seems like the right time to try one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts