Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, I have searched and researched for the answer to this question.... still coming up empty handed.

Why are the Memphis shades fats and slim windshields twice the price (or more) than their sport shields? Both use their quick release hardware, same price no matter the shield. And they all seem to use the same materials for the shields themselves.

I can't figure this out! Argh. And I want to know before I pull the trigger on a Memphis windshield.

I checked out a slim (15" height) with the black fade at the bottom and it looked pretty darn sweet with the black and white paint job on my classic. Nothing like seeing a potential windshield in person before buying. But I could save almost $100 on the windshield alone by going with the pop top model vs slim.

Help? Anyone?

As always, thank you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Can't say. I bought the replacement sheild for mine last year at JP Cycles for $79. Did not include mounting hardware, just the plastic sheild. Bought origanal when I bought my bike and it was included in the financing. Might shop around a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yeah, those. Why do you think they're so ugly?
They just kind of make my skin crawl . . .

As far as being ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If YOU like the look, then go for it.
Rick definitely speaks the truth here! If you prefer those windshields, then you should definitely go for them!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Difference is in the mounts/supports...

I have the MS Alley Cat (came with the bike from previous owner). I think it's a good looking shield, but it's only great for summer bug protection (doesn't protect much more than my chest from the wind -- I'm 5'8").

But to get to your question -- the MS fats/slims are more $$ in part b/c they're much larger shields (wider and in some cases a good bit taller). Due to the increase in size, they also need larger rigid supports that keep the larger piece of plastic from flexing at highway speeds (notice the chrome trim pieces on the fats/slim which are not shown on the sportshields).

FYI, I ended up buying an MS batwing and the ONLY parts that were the same between the Alley Cat and the batwing were the clamps that are physically attached to forks. The metal supports that attach to the shield are completely different (trust me on this one!). For my 900 Custom, the batwings and Fats/slims use the same supports, while the ones for the sport shields are smaller AND less expensive. I'm pretty sure this is the same for the 900 classic, but call MS to double check...

Finally, just my opinion, but if you want better wind protection, the slim is the way to go -- and MS has all the mounting hardware in black (which is what I got for my batwing)... which I think would look really cool with the colors of your bike :)

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Agree with Steve900c. I started out with a MS Speed Demon, worked great in the summer months (good wind proection for the chest). Went to the MS Batwing a couple of months ago, and big change in overall protection (especially in colder weather). Since I already had the locking system installed, all I needed was the fairing (windshield and trim), and new brackets (in black which hide nicely inside the fairing).

If you are looking for basic protection the Pop Top will work great, if you think you'd like more, go with the Slim (it wraps lower around the headlight and will give you more protection).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I am still stuck between the batwing fairing and the slim.

My concern is how much the fairing will take away from my view of the road. And of course my other concern is whether a windshield will give me the coverage I am looking for.

Either way it's going to be Memphis shields. I like their looks, and most folks seem happy with the quality. Plus, their fairing is a ton cheaper than other fairings I have seen. Of course if I was most worried about what I could put IN the fairing, I could justify spending that kind of money for one.

Unfortunately no dealers I know of keep the batwing in stock, so there's no way for me to test it out to see how it would work for me.

Might just have to bite the bullet, get the fairing, and hope for the best. :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I don't think you'll be disappointed. It really does not get in the way of any view. I can see my front wheel just fine when pulling the bike up onto a lift or wheel chock. I didn't have a local dealer either, found on-line, just shop around for the best pricing (shipping, taxes, etc..). Found mine at Motorcycle SuperStore good price, free shipping, and no taxes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts