Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted some feedback from other riders on whether they like riding without the windshield or with. I have a 2005 vulcan 1500 and the shield is pretty dinged up. I do like the protection from rocks being kicked up by cars but I like the look of the bike better without it. I was planning on taking it off and then trying a batwing at some point because I like the look better. But the cost is going to cause me to wait a while on that upgrade.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I think their's many more positives of having a shield. I'll start out with a few. This could be fun! :)

POS: Less neck and shoulder fatigue. Not as many whacks in the face from bugs. Able to hear your mate talk.

NEG: Cleaning bug guts. Able to hear your mate talk. :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
My vote is for a proper sized shield. The factory shield on mine was too short for my torso length and I got terrible buffetting to my head at highway speeds. Things were actually better when I took it off. But like was mentioned, riding was more tiring from having to hang on against the wind, also more bugs on the helmet and clothing, and the occasional rock to the helmet. I now have a taller (and wider) Slipstreamer with some homemade lowers and this is a perfect setup. Almost completely eliminated the annoying buffetting problems I was experiencing. And I'll be able to ride on colder days this winter (or take longer rides).

·
Registered
543 Posts
The bugs, rocks and sand that hit your windshield will hit you. I can't imagine riding at night without one. Maybe would not use one if mostly riding in town and below 55 mph. Country riding, especially around woods and at 55-60 mph, I would not ride without one. But that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I look at it this way... if you just want to do some fairly low speed cruising, it's the right season, lose the shield. If not, you definitely need a shield!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
I look at it this way, its personal preference. But, after having had them on several bikes thru the years I wont ride without one anymore. Its just too convenient...

·
BOTM Winner, December 2014
52 Posts
Well I haven't road with a shield. My bike came with one, but it was one of the first things that got removed.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Most of the time I ride with out one. It just my preference. But it goes on around the middle of September or so to help kill the chill.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just get more than one bike... Titan is completely windshield free... Kingpin has a batwing but does not protect like the Voyager..... Check the weather jump on the appropriate scoot :)

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I used to think windshields were dopey until I took my first 400 mile trip without one and rode 110 miles on a freeway at 80 MPH. When I got off the bike, my shoulders and forearms felt like I had been pulling a refrigerator up 10 flights of stairs, and my gut felt like I had done a thousand sit ups. I put it back on and never looked back. Good thing, too. I've been showered with hot rubber from semi truck tire blowouts, hit with sticks, rocks, a bird, ice thrown from a Big Gulp cup from the car in front of me, and rode through a swarm of grasshoppers. Not to mention rain and hail. Can't imagine any of that without the shield.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I ride my Drifter both ways........

Around town and most riding when weather is fairly warm (60F for these 61 yr. old arthritic bones) I ride without a shield. Cold weather and long trips, I use a shield. In hot weather I like the extra air flow I get without a shield. I also think the bike looks better.

I've modified my shield's brackets so I can detach or re-attach it in 2-3 minutes.

Smokey

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine came new without a windshield and I've always ridden without one regardless of speed. Where's a good place to get a good windshield?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have one that goes to my chin. I have some buffeting but at least I'm getting some wind in my face. The wind off my chest is a big reason to have one. I'm amazed at the crap I've cleaned off my windshield.

The bugs here in the south along with rocks from dump trucks makes the shield a must.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You all have some good points. I did a fair amount of experimenting after a coworker said that windshields are for sissy's. I have a Memphis Shades that came with my 1500 classic. I took it off and went for a 10 mile ride down the country roads to try 40 - 65 mph. I agree with the comment that after 50, you will be fighting the wind on your chest and be totally fatigued by it. I agree also that the look of no w/s is terrific, but the physical cost is just too high for me. I added lowers this fall and the ride is relaxing now. I just don't feel the need to make it a lot of work. My riding was chosen to be as an escape and the deflected wind makes it much better.

The only additional information is to go to youtube and see some videos on how to ensure you get the right height of w/s. My bike (used) came with a ready to replace 21 and after learning the sizing, went to a 17 and my vision is a lot better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can tell you that after yesterdays 350 mile ride...A windshield saved me from having a totally miserable time. Hands and feet were frozen but the body was just fine making it quite tolerable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ride with a full face helmet and prefer no windshield. I get a lot of head shake with the combo. I can't explain the physics of it, but with a half or open helmet I don't get the headshake behind a windshield.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bikes look meaner without shields, riders look like cooler without shields hands down. That being said i never ride without my Batwing, it was my first accessory. Its a must have for me, not so much for safety but more so for comfort and the ability to ride long distance and feel ok at the destination.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts