Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have windshields, do you like looking through them or above them and why?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
For those of you that have windshields, do you like looking through them or above them and why?
Personal preference........I personally like 2 look thru mine.....On my Nomad it is just right height 4 me......about eye level.......I like it that way keeps wind and bugs out of eyes usually....But looking thru it bothers a lot of people and distorts some peoples vision.........U will have 2 decide what is right 4 u........Terry......:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Above. Most articles I've read over the years pertaining to this recommend looking above as opposed to through a windshield, but it's a personal preference, really. I've seen guys with Gold Wings where the shield is WAY above their head.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
windshields are designed to push the air over your helmet. They should line up with the bridge of your nose at its highest point; lower than your bridge to your preference. This allows you to see over the windshield when it is raining.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't have much choice. At 5'6 with the windshild as low as it goes I'm looking through it. There is no distortion and it does not bother me though. I do get helmet buffeting, hoping that goes away with lowers!

·
Registered
264 Posts
my understanding is over, that being said it's kinda set up so that I could do either, but with rain, or lots of bugs etc. I always look over just so I can see once the shield gets to bad. hope that helps, but like everyone is saying it's basically whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like to look over. never had a bug or anything else hit me in the face area. but they did tag my helment a few times. I find looking thru the windshield distracts me alot. IMO, I like to feel the wind not see the wind

·
Registered
409 Posts
WOW,that is a loaded question. Anyway, in my experience, I prefer to look just about 1/2 to 1 inch over the windshield. This way if I stretch up or sink down in my seat I can be protected and or see clearer.

My worst experience was on a Goldwing I owned and since I am short I had a Windshield that was the tall version. When I got caught in a fine mist type of rain for over an hour, it was TERRIBLE. I had to ride with my butt up on the passenger seat to try to see all the way home. Well let me tell you that the first thing I did when I got home was to get rid of that windshield and order the shorter one. That was way too scary!
:eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't have much choice. At 5'6 with the windshild as low as it goes I'm looking through it. There is no distortion and it does not bother me though. I do get helmet buffeting, hoping that goes away with lowers!
I am short in the torso too and so most windshields are usually tall for me.But windshields can be cut down and it doesn't have to look like a butcher job. Just search the net and you will see, it can be done. I've seen some really clean jobs at my work. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
windshields are designed to push the air over your helmet. They should line up with the bridge of your nose at its highest point; lower than your bridge to your preference. This allows you to see over the windshield when it is raining.
Lining up the shield to the bridge of the nose will give you both the wind protection you need and allow you to see when it is foggy/misty and allot of moisture is building up on the shield.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I like to look over the windshield. In fact, I am going to have to cut down my Memphis Shades shield per my new Saddlemen seat dropped me where I have to look through. In the rain, looking through is impossible.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I bought my 900LT I was looking through the widshield and after getting caught in a couple of rain stroms I decided to cut her down. I find that looking over the top works better for me. After putting on the lowers I no longer get any buffeting. I wear a full face helmet when on the highway and on very hot days I can flip up the shield and I don't get any wind in the eyes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wear a full face helmet when on the highway and on very hot days I can flip up the shield and I don't get any wind in the eyes.
LOL...This last sentence really hit my funny bone for some odd reason. Reminds me of a projectile incident that happened to me on my last long ride of the season last November. I was crusing along about 75mph on a long open stretch of desert highway. It was after noon and I had been riding about an hour and a half or so. It was starting to get warm so I reached up and opened my visor. No sooner had I grabbed the bars again when I saw it coming. A large black dot out the corner of my right eye. It shot through the open visor and nailed me just below the right eyeball nearly knocking my off the bike (or so it seemed). It was some large beetle. The force of the strike bounced it out of the helmet and the wind took it before I could see what exactly it was. The visor quickly came back down though.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Go to your local dealer and get fitted for a windshield. They will give you the pros and cons of your question and there you can see if you will feel comfortable looking thru it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts