Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I'm going to break down and get a shield. I'm tired of always having to wear a full face helmet on the interstate (especially when it's 90 deg.). I went to my local parts store and got "fitted" with the official Memphis Shades fitting apparatus, and the guy says I need a 19" which is only available in the Fats.

I see guys on the road all the time with fairings with shields much lower than that wearing do-rags that aren't blowing off.

Here's my question. Does anyone have experience with both the Slim and the Fats? Would I regret it if I went a little shorter (17") and got the Slim?

Edit: I'm also considering their batwing fairing, as the price difference isn't that much. Any experience or comparisons? Thanks again.

My bike is a Classic and I'm 5'10". Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
shield

I ended up going with the slip streamer off Ebay as I found from a couple dealers that they won't discount memphis fats at all. They said quality is the same, thought about the quick disconnect but most riders told me once you put a shield on you won't ever take it off. I rode my son's harley without one last week for 5 miles on our trip and couldn't handle the wind. Easy to clean with it on the bike. I'm 6'0 and bought the 17" but it was too low and ended up going with the 19". I like the fact that I can look through the smoke tint on sunny days and still be able to sit up tall when it is drizzling and see over it. They told me you should have the height of the shield with a level at the bridge of your nose. You will find without lowers you will get buffeting on your head which is the wind blowing up under your shield hitting your helmet. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I have to agree with gmer140. I have the slip streamer also, and with the lowers, find that they are about as good as it is going to get with eliminating the head buffeting. I have it mounted just as stated above, at the bridge of the nose, and I get the best of both worlds, depending on whether I feel like sitting up or slouching down. One big plus is in the winter. I am a single digit rider, only not venturing out if the snow flakes are falling (the guys at my Micky-D's coffee klatch think I am a flake all the time for riding in the cold) and the formed shield towards the hand grips helps to keep the wind off my hands. I don't have heated grips, so it is important to protect my hands as much as possible. I had intended to switch to the MS batwing, but found that I am quite happy with what I have....Walt E.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Some people like the look and "blast" that no shield provides and others would put a roof and doors on their rides along with a shield.. Good luck on deciding how much you are happy with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bill,

I'll chime in. I have a Mempis Shades Fats that is 19" with the quick release brackets. I am about 5' 10". At first I thought the shield was too tall but it was in the forward tilt position. After tilting it back, I think it is just right. I recently hit a patch of gravel on a turn and wiped out. I still bought the 19" replacement plastic. The only down side to Memphis Shades is that they will not sell any individual parts for the bracket system. The left side of my brackets were quite bent out of shape and the right side were like new. I ended up having to beat and bend in a vise to avoid having to buy an entire mounting system. That part sucks! The nice thing about the quick release is that after a short ride and a load of bugs, I take the shield off and put it in our showere for a quick and convenient cleaning.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cant go wrong with factory equipment my classic had no windshield got the Kawasaki windshield and lowers the metal and chrome are top notch and can be lowered or higher. seen that new windjammer very cool.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got the original Kawi Classic LT windshield. My second ride is an S40 Suzuki. I've got a short windshield on the S40. Comes up just under the chin. I take one ride with the S40 and I know how much I enjoy the Kawi's windshield. Bugs - eating them isn't fun and it's like taking a bullet in the face. The neck muscles and strains aren't so great either. It's o.k. in town but that's about it.

I'm 5'8" and have the Kawi shield at it's lowest position. Sitting straight I have it at the bridge of my nose. Slouch a bit and I'm under. There's a bit of buffetting as well. You need to be able to peer over it. When it rains, especially at night, you can't see through the shield when cars are coming at you. The car light through the dropplets of water just make on bright light. You need to look over the shield at times like these.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I opted for the batwing fairing. I saw a bike with the Fats shield, and it's huge! I'm sure it's very effective, but to me it kinda screamed "Shriner parade" (no offense to the Fats users-as I said, I'm sure they're effective).

So I got it with the 7" shield. There's no fitting template for the fairing. It comes up to about my mouth and I'm getting some wind pressure that seems to be directed right at my eyes. I've got it as upright as it will go. I called the dealer and they said I could exchange it for a 9" as long as there's nothing wrong with the old one. Very cool. This should put it at about the tip/bridge of my nose. If I can get the wind going just a couple inches higher I should be golden.

As for the fairing itself, I love it. It looks great and works really good. It's nice to get on the highway and not feel like I'm being blown off the bike. The quick release works great, and it's a must for me. I really prefer the look and feel of no shield for around town.

It looks great on my black Classic with the new whitewalls, I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Given that this thread is about windshields, I just picked up my 2010 Vulcan Classic on Wednesday (LOVE THIS BIKE) and also picked up the OEM windshield. I thought that in order to save myself $120.00, I would install the windshield myself. Given that yesterday was a holiday (Canada Day), I opened the windshield box to do the install only to find that there were no set of instructions. My dealer is closed today and over the weekend and I really want to install the windshield today or tomorrow.

I have searched the net without luck. Would anyone have a set of instructions on how to get the windshield on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Bill don't forget to pot some pictures. I am in the same boat as you - I bought my bike and it came with a memphis windshield and I only put it on when I am on the highway. In town I take it off cuz I think it looks way better. I would love to see yours with the batwing.

Thanks,
Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts