Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2012 VN-900 Classic, 9" light, what height did you get. At 6' tall I measured 17" for a windshield, but that just seems so short. Seems that's a popular size. What happens if I go to a 20". To tall? Have read so much about being too tall or too short buffeting. Suggestions welcomed/needed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm 5'6" and installed 15 w/c was fine as it reduced wind drag enough for me to see w/o obstruction. Make sure u have a 3 pt contact and the handlebar connectors are halfway up the shield length so that buffeting is negligible. At 6 ft, u may need a larger wshield.

Sprung 4 d Spitfire wshield.

·
Registered
20 Posts
15"-17" is about right. I'm 5'9 and my shield is 17" above the headlight, but the way I have it angled it's more like 19" or so. I get zero buffeting. It's nice and smooth. I can just barely see over the top of the shield. Shorter folks would probably want a 15" shield.

The stock Kawi shields are 22" and 26", both of which are way too tall in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Have it measured as you sit on the bike. Perfect is supposed to be where the top of the shield hits right at the tip of your nose, height wise. It's not how tall you are, it's how tall you sit. ;) I used National Cycle's 2-up shield, and it hits me perfect at 6'3", but I've only got a 32" inseam, so I sit a bit taller than most.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did a lot of tinkering with my windshield, and in the best position, the top is just about even with the tip of my nose. Light rain doesn't hit me in the face, although it splatters the top of my helmet. I just started using a windshield in recent years, but definitely prefer looking over, not through, the plastic. That's a matter of personal preference, and you have to figure out what's best for you.

Ride happy,
Grandpa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts