Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I'm making my final plans to buy a Vulcan S ABS SE and I plan to get a windshield. From my previous experience, I assume the top of the screen should be just about at the bottom of my nose. I'm now 5'9" tall and the OEM choices seem to be either 17 1/4" or 14". The best I can tell the height does not seem to be adjustable at all with either the fixed or KQR mounts. The Puig windshield looks to be 18.9", which I assume is going to be too tall for me.

Does anyone know how the 17" and/or 14" line up with someone my height? Is there any way in mounting these windshields that allows for fine tuning of the height? Any comments would be appreciated! - Randy

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Well I called 2 places yesterday to try and find out rider height data for the 2 sizes of OEM windshields. I was trying to get the height of a driver who would have the top of each windshield at about the tip of his nose. I spoke to Kawasaki Corporate Customer Service and they had no idea. I then spoke to the dealer where I have been negotiating to buy my new Vulcan S ABS SE. They also had no idea.

The upshot was that the dealer has offered to order both windshields and let me find out for myself sitting on the bike. I'll buy the one that is the best fit for me and they'll return the other one. Apparently this is an issue that is not common enough for anyone to have the data in terms of operator height for each size windshield. - Randy

Registered
Well I called 2 places yesterday to try and find out rider height data for the 2 sizes of OEM windshields. I was trying to get the height of a driver who would have the top of each windshield at about the tip of his nose. I spoke to Kawasaki Corporate Customer Service and they had no idea. I then spoke to the dealer where I have been negotiating to buy my new Vulcan S ABS SE. They also had no idea.

The upshot was that the dealer has offered to order both windshields and let me find out for myself sitting on the bike. I'll buy the one that is the best fit for me and they'll return the other one. Apparently this is an issue that is not common enough for anyone to have the data in terms of operator height for each size windshield. - Randy
Sounds like you found a dealer with a heart. If my local K dealer did that they'd charge me 15% restocking charge. They do, however, have a trial windshield that is calibrated with each inch. They have you sit on the bike, hold the windshield in place, and you decide which height is best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
SteveJB -

Wow that trial windshield sounds like its just exactly what I need. Sadly none of the dealers I spoke to seemed to be aware of its existence. I kinda suggested my solution to the dealer after they could not give me any helpful information. To their credit they agreed :) Randy

Registered
I would recommend a test ride with the test windshield(s)...sitting on the bike in the showroom won't give you a feel for if the height is going to kill you with buffeting.

Premium Member
Part of the reason that no one has an answer is that at 5'9" you could have a 30" or a 34" inseam which would change the nose height by several inches, so it's not automatic that a specific screen will fit all riders who happen to be 5'9"tall.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
kevinb003 -

I am wondering about what I have been seeing in here about "buffeting" with the KVS. I don't recall any significant problems with my little Honda and have not noticed this with my existing Yamaha 125 scooter. Granted I have not ridden these smaller machines at higher speeds, but I don't plan on doing so with the Vulcan either. I did have my Honda CB 160 up to about 79 mph on a number of occasions.

I only went up to about 55 briefly on my Vulcan S test rides. Is there something about the KVS that especially creates more significant buffeting than other bikes? Has your experience with buffeting been with OEM windshields?

I surmise that asking my dealer to install both windshields on my new bike and then let me take each one out on an actual ride would create significant problems for them to return the one that I don't purchase. As best I can tell, the OEM Windshields don't provide for any height adjustment during install or otherwise.

While I certainly agree with you that test ride comparisons would be the best scenario, I'm afraid that seems not feasible. Short of knowing 2 friends with KVS's, one with each of the windshield sizes that the owners would let me drive, I cannot think of a way to follow your suggestion. Thanks for your thoughtful reply in any event :) - Randy

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
bearslayer -

That certainly sounds right. Surely some people have more or less of their total height from the waist up. So, for Kawasaki to have designs that have no provision for any height adjustment at all, seems very short-sighted indeed. Guess all I can do is hope one of the OEM sizes lines up well for my build. I don't relish the thought of looking through rather than over the windshield.

Thanks for your reply - Randy

Registered
bearslayer -

That certainly sounds right. Surely some people have more or less of their total height from the waist up. So, for Kawasaki to have designs that have no provision for any height adjustment at all, seems very short-sighted indeed. Guess all I can do is hope one of the OEM sizes lines up well for my build. I don't relish the thought of looking through rather than over the windshield.

It will be hard to figure out what kind of buffeting you may or may not get with those fixed windshields without trying them. The only thing you can do is try it really. I wasn't interested in forking over the cash Kawasaki wanted for the windshield they offer for the KVS ($$$especially the mount$$$), nor did I like the look. I ended up buying a National Cycle Street Shield. It was a bit narrow and didn't do much for my shoulders but, I mostly wanted the wind & bugs off my chest and it certainly did the job. The best part about it is that it could be easily removed if needed and was thoroughly adjustable (up & angle). I never had any problems with buffeting with that windshield. So you want the top of your windshield no more higher than the bottom of your nose and angled back somewhat to match your fork angle. Also, to prevent buffeting, you want a decent gap (3/4-1") around/over the headlight to allow air to enter. Having a low pressure behind the windshield is one of the biggest contributors to buffeting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks VulcanHead -

Yeah I've been afraid there was not much of way to really guage what might happen with the OEM windshield short of actually just trying it. Part of the reason why I decided to go OEM was my hope that it might be more tried and true for the KVS specifically than other aftermarket models. Yeah, I know this may be just wishful thinking, but I'm playing the odds, so to speak.

Interesting to hear of your experience with the National Cycle model, especially that its thoroughly adjustable, and no buffeting, but albeit narrow. If I just HATE the OEM I will remember your observations for sure.

Having the benefit of your experience is invaluable. And knowing about the gap necessity at the bottom above the headlight is priceless. If I have such a problem with the OEM that gives me something to try and modify to correct the problem. Thanks again so much for sharing the benefit of your experience! - Randy

Premium Member
On my oter bike

bearslayer -

a 2004 Nomad I put on a Bat wing fairing. The shield that sits on top was so high that I looked through it. I took it to a local glass shop and had them cut it down to the correct height.:nerd:
oops not a good photo to show the lowered ( cut) windshield.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
bearslayer -

I hadn't thought about getting a windshield cut down. That obviously gives me more options, thanks a lot for mentioning that! - Randy

Registered
Thanks VulcanHead -

Yeah I've been afraid there was not much of way to really guage what might happen with the OEM windshield short of actually just trying it. Part of the reason why I decided to go OEM was my hope that it might be more tried and true for the KVS specifically than other aftermarket models. Yeah, I know this may be just wishful thinking, but I'm playing the odds, so to speak.

Interesting to hear of your experience with the National Cycle model, especially that its thoroughly adjustable, and no buffeting, but albeit narrow. If I just HATE the OEM I will remember your observations for sure.

Having the benefit of your experience is invaluable. And knowing about the gap necessity at the bottom above the headlight is priceless. If I have such a problem with the OEM that gives me something to try and modify to correct the problem. Thanks again so much for sharing the benefit of your experience! - Randy
Also check out the Madstad windshield. It comes in different heights and tints and is also fully adjustable and removable. Some KVS riders here have one and like it. www.madstad.com

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
VulcanHead -

That Madstad looks most intriguing, especially being both height and angle adjustable. I do note that for my height they recommend starting out at 18", so I can hope the 17+ OEM will be close, we shall see. This is good to know if the OEM just doesn't work for me, thanks again. - Randy

Also check out the Madstad windshield. It comes in different heights and tints and is also fully adjustable and removable. Some KVS riders here have one and like it. www.madstad.com

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
ZERO00 -

I saw that on their website. I also noticed that it looked pretty wide as well, which I liked. Thanks for your input!! :) Randy

Registered
I have a Madstad windshield on my KVS. Great piece of equipment.....with some modifications. I have the tallest clear one they make and at freeway speeds it really wobbled in the wind. I ended up making some bar mounts to support the upper part of the windshield frame and now it works perfectly only no longer adjustable or easily removed.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
gzsound -

That wobble does not sound good. But sounds like your mod solved the problem, thanks!! - Randy

Registered
I have the 22 inch and although there is movement I don't find it to be bad. It is also wide enough to cover the take from rocks.

You can mitigate movement by tightening lower bracket bolts after you have set top knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts