Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was uncomfortable riding a naked bike at highway speeds. 65 was maybe a 15 minute prospect for me. So on the advice of most everybody I got myself a Memphis fats at 17 inches, just in line with my nose and I also made lowers with a good profile. Now I am extremely comfortable at 60 but over indicated 70 gives me that blurred vision and headaches after an hour.

This past week my dad and I took a 4 day trip from Central Florida to deals gap taking 95 for long stretches at 75mph that left me with those headaches. It has made me question any more trips like that without trailering.

So the question is, what can I do now?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I only have a new OEM windshield on, as I felt the chest wind was too much for me over 60mph. Now I agree with you 70 + is like forget about it for too long but I have a half helmet so I was planning on using my full face for a road trip like you just did.
someone will chime in on this for sure.. I personally don't think the lowers and shield will keep your head from getting wind buffet at that speed but could be wrong...
:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
TysonC,
MS now makes a Booster Wing (http://www.memphisshades.com/fats-booster-wing) for their fairings that seems to be similar to a Laminar LIP (http://www.laminarlip.com/cruisers.php). I've heard good things about these for exactly the problem you describe (which I find annoying as well). I've also seen a few folks just make their own using heavy duty 3M plastic 'velcro' mounting tape and an old helmet visor ("looks cheap, works great" they tell me!)

Do you have a Custom or Classic? If a Custom, I'd love to see a picture of the lowers you have on the bike...

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
You may be able to minimize it ... you will never get rid of it ... some is shield generated, some is helmet generated ... welcome to Motorcycles.

Buffeting will vary due to shield style, width, rake, riding position and posture .. what works for one person may not work for another.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the angle of the windshield?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So i was uncomfortable riding a naked bike at highway speeds. 65 was maybe a 15 minute prospect for me. So on the advice of most everybody I got myself a Memphis fats at 17 inches, just in line with my nose and I also made lowers with a good profile. Now I am extremely comfortable at 60 but over indicated 70 gives me that blurred vision and headaches after an hour.

This past week my dad and I took a 4 day trip from Central Florida to deals gap taking 95 for long stretches at 75mph that left me with those headaches. It has made me question any more trips like that without trailering.

So the question is, what can I do now?
Experiment by placing your left hand down next to the rear of the gas tank. I think what you'll find is that a large amount of the buffeting is coming up from below, right into your face. I don't know how tall you sit in the saddle, but unless you are short and look through the windshield, you will get a minor amount of wind hitting the top of your helmet/head. The only way you can eliminate or reduce that is to experiment with changing the angle and height of the windshield.

Do you have highway/crash bars? If you do, consider purchasing a set of highway bar chaps. These are inexpensive, made of tough vinyl and go on in seconds and are easily removed and stored in a saddlebag or strapped to the back seat. These things block a lot of the wind that comes up and buffets your head. When I ride my wife's 900LT with lowers and bar chaps, I get very little buffeting, and I'm 6'2" and sit tall in the seat. The OEM windshield is set to its highest position. The angle is fixed, though. I could ride this bike comfortably at the speeds you mention for long distances.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a Custom or Classic? If a Custom, I'd love to see a picture of the lowers you have on the bike...
It's a 2012 classic se with the blacked out fork so I thought black lowers would be good. I'll get a picture posted when I'm at my computer, at work now.

Nomad - the booster looks interesting and may be just the ticket. I really don't want to drill the shield as the laminar requires so this may be just the ticket.

I have considered a lindbar so I suppose chaps for that would be good, too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only have a new OEM windshield on, as I felt the chest wind was too much for me over 60mph. Now I agree with you 70 + is like forget about it for too long but I have a half helmet so I was planning on using my full face for a road trip like you just did.
someone will chime in on this for sure.. I personally don't think the lowers and shield will keep your head from getting wind buffet at that speed but could be wrong...
:)
Does a full face buffet less?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Does a full face buffet less?
Some do, some dont ... my day rides are with an open face, i tour with a full face ... less wind noise, but i reduce it with ear plugs ... cuts the noise by 30db .. btw my bikes sport batwings with lowers and a 9"shield shield, so i am well protected. My fullface is a hjc cl16:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also just installed a MS Fats windshield and also got their lowers. My shield is 19" which hits right at the nose. I also had a lot of buffeting even after installing the lowers. I played around with a lot of settings and ended up with the shield raised as high as possible and angled back as far as it will go. The light buffeting I still experience at highway speeds is tolerable and is preferable to fighting the wind for extended periods of time. I was a little disappointed that I was still getting some buffeting but it's not much and nothing's perfect. My buffeting is caused by air coming from over the top of the shield. I could eliminate more by getting a taller shield but I like being able to see over it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would suggest adjusting the angle of the windshield. I currently have a Memphis Hellcat on my 09 custom, and regularly go 80-90+ with my face shield up "until the wind slams it down" and no pressure on the chest or head / buffeting. The idea "for me at least" was to angle the shield so that it made an imaginary plane over the top of my head. I know some say have the shield perpendicular with the front forks, however, as the wind comes over the shield, it will tumble and cause turbulence if it is too upright.

Just saying, trying and make it a little more aero-dynamical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts