Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 900LT...

I am 6 feet tall...

Windshield buffets so bad it's not even fun to ride...

All the way up, or all the way down... doesn't matter...

Read at least 20 threads on this forum where people swear the lowers make a difference... or major difference...

So, I just ordered some... However, I am skeptical as to why the lowers would make a difference in head buffeting... Just a basic knowledge of aerodynamics but still cannot figure out how lowers would effect the air flowing over the top of the windscreen. In my opinion, the gap between the headlight and the bottom of the screen helped a little bit by getting rid of the vacuum caused by the gap between the screen and the rider.

I've tried all positions, up, down, middle. I even made a "summer shield" as seen on this forum... and it still buffets...
(I wear a full face helmet)
I just ordered the lowers (OEM) ONLY because so many here swear by them...

Hopefully it helps!
Randi

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I'm relatively tall too, 6-3.

The buffeting on my VN2K wasn't so much from the air coming over the windshield, but from that coming up from down low, around my legs and up around/over the fuel tank.

Lowers made a big difference.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I am a big fan of my engine guard chaps too. They also cut the wind down on the legs and feet, and those along with the lowers make a huge difference all around.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I am a big fan of my engine guard chaps too. They also cut the wind down on the legs and feet, and those along with the lowers make a huge difference all around.
+1 on the engine guard chaps.Took mine off for(on a warm day) about 20 miles a few days ago then pulled over and put them right back on.They make a big difference on the amount of wind they block.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I recently removed my OEM lowers. I rarely ride on the big highways or above 50 MPH so there is no (or little) difference for me. I like the "look" better without them and now I have one less (two) things to clean. Been also considering removing the windshield. 90% of my rides are on back windy roads at 35-45 MPH. Less 4-wheel gawkers...

·
Registered
673 Posts
6'2" here, buffeting was only a problem over 60 mph or a strong head wind. After reading many post on this and other forums, I made my own out of stiff leather. All but stopped the air flow coming up from the tank area. You should be much happier with the lowers.
I only put on the highway bar chaps when the temps are below 40 and/or rain. With the chaps fuel mileage dropped to 48-50mpg.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently removed my OEM lowers. I rarely ride on the big highways or above 50 MPH so there is no (or little) difference for me. I like the "look" better without them and now I have one less (two) things to clean. Been also considering removing the windshield. 90% of my rides are on back windy roads at 35-45 MPH. Less 4-wheel gawkers...

Dang... I woulda bought them off you! Hahaha

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rode this winter, when I could. and used the engine guard chaps. With this cool spring I left them on through April. I'm 60 and tend to chill in the hands and feet anyway so I thought they were great.

I also have wind deflectors for the grips for cool/cold weather riding. Like them so well I still haven't taken them off.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
What the lowers do is stop some of the air that comes up along side the tank....I've got them. as afar as the windshield buffeting.....that's a mystery. Mines a Memphis shades and it doesn't buffet at all.....it's just a tad too tall and that was my fault.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This is such a perplexing subject, and one of the main reason's I haven't purchased a windshield...yet. Personally I believe that the windshield angle is also significant, and have always thought that the stock LT windshield was too vertical to minimize vortexes and optimize the laminar flow top and bottom. That's just me, though.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
FWIW, on mine I tried the windshield angle before going with different lowers. I think it looks better tilted back a little bit, but I don't think it really helped all that much with the buffeting.

The big eye opener, so to speak, was when I simply put my left arm straight across my chest and the buffeting almost completely went away. That's when I knew the windshield wasn't the primary factor, at least in my case.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
+1. Put your hands along each side of the tank and you can feel a huge updraft. If so then the lowers will help. Also there was a thread on here about the angle of the 900 shield and how to rig it up to be sloped back too. It helped on my V2K just by leaning the shield back. Also what else can cause the buffeting to be worse is your helmet. A full face helmet catches more of the updraft than a Half or 3/4.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is such a perplexing subject, and one of the main reason's I haven't purchased a windshield...yet. Personally I believe that the windshield angle is also significant, and have always thought that the stock LT windshield was too vertical to minimize vortexes and optimize the laminar flow top and bottom. That's just me, though.

I love that statement......the next time I get a hot chick in the rack I'm going to say....Baby....am I too vertical to minimize vortexes and optimize the laminar flow top and bottom. That's a hell of a line! :D

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
are you talking buffeting of the noggin or wind noise .....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just installed my lowers that came today... Didn't get a chance to ride... will post after I ride to work in the morning... (It's only 2 miles... but it should tell me immediately if they fixed the issue or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The big eye opener, so to speak, was when I simply put my left arm straight across my chest and the buffeting almost completely went away.
Exactly. I did the same thing and was shocked how much less helmet buffeting there was. If lowers solve this problem, I will order them straight away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly. I did the same thing and was shocked how much less helmet buffeting there was. If lowers solve this problem, I will order them straight away.
In my 1.5 mile ride to work this morning... with a summer shield... and the lowers I installed last night... I would be willing to say that the buffeting was decreased by 90%.... I leave work at 7:30pm... for another quick ride... but I couldn't believe the difference...

I got mine for 112 shipped on ebay... it was worth it... order em.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts