Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Went to Arizona Bike week a few weeks back and saw quite a few Voyagers with different windshields, some looked pretty sharp! Saw the 10" WindVest,
saw the 8.25-12" BaggerShield Adjustable Flip Windshield and saw a 14" Rifle dark tint windshield. I want to get rid of the 18"stock windshield and get something more sporty looking and something with a dark smoke color. I would appreciate any responses with Voyager owners that have changed their windshields, explaining the Pro's/Con's, of the windshield, little or no buffeting and photo's please.
Thanks in advance for your responses. Please send responses to my email if possible;[email protected] or here on the site.

Johnny

·
Registered
192 Posts
jm24poker,
I wanted a recurve type shield. Ordered a Clearview but it was too tall for me and I looked through it. Ordered the 10" Windvest and it is currently on my bike. The Clearview is much thicker and a better quality shield in my opinion but the Windvest does look good and performs pretty well. I do get some buffeting with it though. Picture attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have the 8"/12" one you mentioned. For cold weather it's a bit short but in warm I can go mid or short. So far so good. It has held up well...

I have my stock OEM as well and it is great for cold weather.

gb

·
Registered
894 Posts
I currently have a 12" Kawi windshield on my Voyager. However have a 14" Rifle enroute because I just put a RDL seat on that raised me up a bit higher over it - I will be evaluating both . . . On my 12", I tinted the lower part of it to hide the bags I mounted behind it . . .

pic of 12" before the tint:

And a couple after the tint . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the 10 inch Windvest and cant say enough good things about it, better veiw more wind movement around rider but no buffeting, and air movement in Arizona when its 110 is a great thing, passenger also prefers it over stock, and it looks great, have had it on for over a year now and have no intentions of changing it.....

Thanks to MN-Rider for the pics, I forgot how to do it.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have the 18" stock windshield and have intentions of changing it.
I'm liking that 10" Windvest.

Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
Johnny... Not sure what part of Southern Cal you are in but Windvest will be at the Bay Area Motorcycle Superfest this weekend in Pleasanton, I know Doug Will install one and let you give it a try before you but it, and you will but it. and the install is free.....

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a 12" Windvest on mine - it's the perfect height for me, and my pillion reports less buffeting over the previous screen. They're not readily available for the Voyager in that height, but any size Windvest designed for an HD batwing can be fitted with a little modification to the bottom (using the chrome trim as a guide)... and you'll find they're a little cheaper as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
jm24poker,
I wanted a recurve type shield. Ordered a Clearview but it was too tall for me and I looked through it. Ordered the 10" Windvest and it is currently on my bike. The Clearview is much thicker and a better quality shield in my opinion but the Windvest does look good and performs pretty well. I do get some buffeting with it though. Picture attached:
The Clearview is a very nice shield. I have the small and find it is 1" higher than the 12" Kaw shield, but much better looking. The only tint is a light gray, but it looks and performs great on the bike. I am 5'10" and look over this one easily.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have a Rifle 14" dark tint, a Vaquero height Kawasaki dark tint, and the stock screen.

My latest thing is to have the shorty screen fastened with the stock screen. When summer touring, I get to my destination and want to do some local exploring I leave the stock screen in the hotel.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Oh yeah, that was the picture I saw from "Twowheeladdict" a long time ago that sold me on the 14". Great shield.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 12" Windvest on mine - it's the perfect height for me, and my pillion reports less buffeting over the previous screen. They're not readily available for the Voyager in that height, but any size Windvest designed for an HD batwing can be fitted with a little modification to the bottom (using the chrome trim as a guide)... and you'll find they're a little cheaper as well.
Nice idea, similar to the CeeBailey Cee Devil that I used. It too is designed for the HD batwing and I fell in love with it when I had an Electra Glide. I ordered the 10" Cee Devil and cut the extra tabs to make it work. I'm not sure how the Windvest reverse curve works but I love the Cee Devil recurve. I can look over the windshield and the air is bumped high enough that it doesn't affect my passenger. It is a thick windshield too, much thicker than stock. You can order them tinted too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Voyager Windshield Help

I just want to thank all of you that have replied on this issue. You guys/gals are making it hard for me to decide what windshield to put on my bike. I appreciate the pictures also. Some of you have replied to my personal email also. Keep replying and please reply with photo's and if the shield is not made for the Voyager, what you had to do to make it fit, and please send me the photo's.

Thanks Again!

Johnny

·
Registered
440 Posts
i just ordered the rifle 14" sheild, that make 5 sheilds in my garage.. lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was reading all the replies and such here.
I was wondering if anymore could be added.
I too am considering a new Voyager.
I am currently riding a 1500 Classic.
The dealer has a new 2013 model sitting on floor and offered me a pretty good pricing.
I do ride 2 up and not a speed demon. My commute to work is pretty straight unless take side roads for enjoyment. Just thought I would see since time has passed any more thoughts on these bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I will be getting another Clearview the end of this month. It will be my 6th....

NO vent this time however. For several reasons.... Extra tall....

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I just really like my recurved shield from Windvest on my 2011 Vaquero, I went through 3 different brands before deciding that the Windvest is a keeper.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The vent on the Clearview windshield is in a housing that slants inside (your side) of the windshield. Around that housing top and side edges are small holes drilled around it to let off pressure I would assume. So even when you have the vent closed, it is not closed and rain still come through the edges of it. PLUS when it is open you get rocks on the chest and bug splatter all over you all the time. On 4 windshields I did not get the vent as I thought it cost too much to get it added on. My last one I said, go for it.... big mistake. Grasshoppers aim for that vent, so do kicked up rocks.....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts