Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an '05 V2K with the windshield and saddlebags already attached. However, the windshield seems like it isn't doing much and I realize it is the lack of angle on it. My question is what do you recommend to angle the shield better and how much should I go?
I'll attach a pic. It's not great but it is unfortunately the only one I have at the moment. I can take more later. I'll also provide a link to the photo bucket so you can zoom in more if needed, Thanks!

http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/repickrel/media/87badd22-3eed-43c9-a4aa-f74b174f776a.jpg.html

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That all depends on you. You basically have to adjust to your liking. Are you sure you just don't need a set of lowers?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That all depends on you. You basically have to adjust to your liking. Are you sure you just don't need a set of lowers?
Nope, not sure at all. I've never had a windshield on a bike till now. It seems like the wind overall is heavy on me, not just buffeting my head around. Are lowers typically the fix?

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
It looks like it does sit up too straight. Angle it back at the same angle as the front forks and set the top of the shield at or just below your nose level.

To see if you need lowers hold your arm across your lower chest riding down the road at speed and see if it reduces the wind on you. If so you need lowers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's a Switchblade shield system. I don't know how you think you are going to adjust the angle? The lowers fix the issue.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I messed with windshield angle and while some slight improvements were had, the main problem isn't the windshield. The main problem is wind under the windshield, up your legs, around the tank.

Don't believe it? Go for a ride and when the buffeting starts just put your left arm horizontally across your chest, just below your man boobs. Play around with the position a bit and you will soon see it's the wind from down low that's the problem.

Set the windshield so that you can just see over the top in normal driving, but lowers are the key

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
That's a Switchblade shield system. I don't know how you think you are going to adjust the angle? The lowers fix the issue.
I have a switchblade that I use every once in awhile.

when I bought it, I got the lowers at the same time.

Out of curiosity, I've tried the windshield with and without the lowers.

RedDog is correct. The lowers will cut the buffeting to almost zero. Without the lowers, it seemed like the wind was actually being channeled into me.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have a switchblade too. There is a small range of adjustment on it but only up and down really. National Cycle makes lowers for the V2k. I would try that. Like someone mentioned, while riding put your left hand down by the gas tank and see if it cuts the wind. If it does, you need lowers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are absolutely right. Putting my arm down around my stomach I can block the wind. I think I may attempt making my own lowers. I work for a sign company and we use lexan daily so we should have some scraps around. Just need to figure out mounting hardware.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
Here is an idea. I would definitely add a strip of metal to like the pic from the back shows to keep the hardware from cracking the lexan like the back view pic shows.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Lowers helped my buffeting with my poem windshield as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a 8" x 24" piece of lexan scrap. I hope to get my lowers cut tomorrow. Thanks for the example on the mounting hardware, I'll probably do that!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got some made. They work perfectly, the only wind I get is on my lower legs and a slight breeze on the top of my head. I didn't take any pics while making them but here they are. They aren't the prettiest but they work really well

·
Registered
232 Posts
Got some made. They work perfectly, the only wind I get is on my lower legs and a slight breeze on the top of my head. I didn't take any pics while making them but here they are. They aren't the prettiest but they work really well
They look perfect. These great pictures will help the next person to fab a set as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You could always round the corners on your brackets if you want them to look better. Also polish the living s**t out of the aluminum and you will have a SHARP looking set of lowers. They ain't bad the way they are. Nice professional looking job my friend!:)

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
Darn. Those actually look really good.

Great job!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
427 Posts

DAM!!! nothing wrong with what you did there! look GREAT!

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
nice custom bike garage I see in pic #1 there ol'_School!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts