1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
171 Posts
Johnny, I don't have any pictures handy, but here is what I did.

I went to Cycle Gear and bought a plain River Road windshield bag with no holes in it.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/124/3374/ITEM/River-Road-Handlebar-Windshield-Bag.aspx

It's not very big, but it's big enough for glasses, cigs, phone, etc.

Then I went to Ace Hardware and bought 1) some longer chrome acorn head bolts in the same size as those holding your windshield to the Chrome Plates, and 2) Some sheet metal strapping with assorted holes/slots all down its length. I cut a piece of the strapping so it fits inside the bag, and I punched holes in the bag the same distance apart as the factory chrome windshield bolts. I replaced the factory bolts, running from outside, through the chrome, windshield, bag, and strapping, with washers and nuts on the inside of the bag.

Overall, it works pretty well, and the total investment is less than $30.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
No pics right know but will try and take some tonight and post
Here is how and what I did. I have received many compliments on the way it looks Materials:
1-US Saddlebag Co. Accessory Bag / JP Cycles item #813-301
1-1/8x3/4"x4" solid aluminum flat stock, no holes / Menards
2-1/4-20x3/4" Chrome button head screws w/Chrome Acorn Cap nuts / Ace Hardware
process:
Remove the two outside screws and nuts on the windshielt trim/brace. measering from the two holes on the windshield trim/brace I cut the aluminum stock to a lenght that a hole could be drilled in each end of the aluminum. I offset/(bent) each end so the ends would lay flat along inside trim but only for about 1/1/2 " the brace actualy is straight except for the ends. On the back of the bag there are slots to use the bag as a tool bag (you know the hang it were you want it, straps to fork straps) Thread the aluninum in and out of these slots centering the bag on the aluminum. Use the new bolts w/ acorns (original bolts will be to short)to mount the new bag/bracket to the two outer holes.
Mounted this way the bag dose not set tight along the inside of the windshield causing the bag to try and pucker and curve but it hangs straight accross between the holes on a solid bar making it very easy to get in and out of and setting nice. Polishing the aluminum to a shine will make it look chromed
again I will try to post pics tonight

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok got pics taken after Bike Night in Indianola, Ia. this may help with previous post. I also wired a 12v. accessory plug in thru a small hole I punched in the end of the bag and ran the wire to the accessory wire in the headlight bucket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Does anyone have/know of a windshield bag that fits properly on the OEM windscreen for a 900 LT? Pictures are a plus.
We've got that extra tall inner brace, so the bags with the "metal plate with small opening to tighten a bolt to securely mount onto motorcycle" that work with Memphis Shades or HD screens don't quite fit properly.
Hey, Johnny-

I had an '09 Classic LT and bought an OEM windshield bag directly from Kawasaki for it. Big enough for wallet, glasses, garage door opener and a couple of other things. Very satisfied with it, and it was made specifically for the OEM windshield...no modifications needed.

Link takes you to the Kawasaki website...

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/Accessories2/PCItemDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=K53000270&Reason=6&intCatalogID=1&intCatalogType=4&ProductTypeID=63&ModelMarketingId=587&ModelYear=2009&CategoryID=160

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here's my windshield bag, I gave $30 for it at a local leather shop.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, y'all have some ingenious minds!
As for the Kawa brand, I prefer not to pay $80 for a glorified glasses case. It's not like leather is an exotic material. Also, there is a big "but" attached to the KAWA brand..."•Note: lower vertical adjustment of the windshield is limited with this bag installed". I keep my windshield at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have the OEM, with the windshield at it's lowest setting, and a set of Scootworks phatII installed. Fits fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts