Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it's 65 in Iowa but windy, 28 mph gusting to 42 mph. I was getting blown all over the road. I was on county roads and had to slow to 50 - 55 most of the way while head into or adjacent to the wind. Heading back with the wind was a bit eerie, like no wind at all.

How dangerous is riding in high winds? At a few points I was blown a few feet in one direction or the other. I stayed in the right third of the lane so as not to get blown in front of a passing car. Is there any danger of the bike actually losing enough traction that you can spill and if so, generally how bad do the winds have to be to really be dangerous?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I should think it would depend on a large number of factors: your skill, your & the bikes cross sectional area, wind speed & direction, road conditions, straight or curvy road, buildings, under/overpasses, traffic (oncoming, cross or following), and I'm certain I miss several... Ride safe out there.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
When it starts making you nervous, it too strong. That can vary from person to person. The more open your wheels are, the less the effect, solid disc wheels are worse than spoke wheels. Each bike can react differently, accesaries can make a difference also. Larger saddlebags catch more wind than small or none, same with windshield. I believe fork mounted fairing are affected more than frame mounted. Stripped down/basic bikes with wire spoke wheeld are probably affected the least.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stripped down/basic bikes with wire spoke wheeld are probably affected the least
Wow. I have a 900 classic with no windshield or saddle bags, pretty basic, so I don't think it could be much better. Guess I'd better avoid riding when it's really windy. I mean, I could handle it but it was more work than fun.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Wow. I have a 900 classic with no windshield or saddle bags, pretty basic, so I don't think it could be much better. Guess I'd better avoid riding when it's really windy. I mean, I could handle it but it was more work than fun.
I've ridden into a diagonal crosswind that made me lean like I was turning a corner. No fun. When a curve came up I had to slow way down since I was nearly scraping my floorboards just going straight. I'll not be doing that anymore. I admit that my bike is a sail. MS windshield, bags, rear bag on rear rack. Not very aerodynamic. Really scary going down I80 once Going straight was fine, but when coming under an overpass, wind stopped, I had to right the bike quick and then reverse it when coming out the other side. Dang near changed lanes unintentionally. Lucky there was no traffic in the other lane.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Wind generally doesn't bother me, just irritates. But the last time I rode home from California, I went on the freeway out to Riverside and beyond up I-15, and it was so windy I was scared spitless until I dropped down out of that pass and onto the desert floor. I also got about 21 MPG on that leg of the trip. Between the 50 MPH side winds and passing semis with teetering trailers, it was high in the buttpucker factor.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's a lot of work and fatigue! The weight, wheelbase, etc. of the bike affect it as well. My wife and I were riding around this evening and she was really wrestling her little Honda.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Went out for a spin last night and found that there was a lot of gusty wind. Unlike a strong and constant directional wind, last nights seemed to come up quick and strong and then disappear as quick. Made life interesting. Then, the rain came...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts