Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my '08 900LT except the wind even with windshield will beat you to death. Those who have the MS batwing fairing: Does it really help? Is it worth the cost? What size shield? Are the lowers necessary.
I also ride an '88 Goldwing. The wind protection is night/day. With gas going through the roof I really want the 48 mpg of the 9 but really love the power and looks of the Wing. Advise please!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Everything I've read, the MS Batwing is well worth it. It seems most of the reviews I've read on motorcycle superstore are 50/50 for the lowers. I priced it out at about $450 from that site. You might be able to get some of the 3 parts cheaper through ebay. For the shield size, again from what I was reading, if you are 5'9" or shorter it seemed the 9" was enough.

I want one of these for my 09 Classic but until the wife signs off on the expense account I'll have to stick to no shield or a cheaper option.

Cheers

·
Registered
358 Posts
Windshield lowers help immensely. Before I installed them I was really getting beat up by the wind buffeting. Felt like a continuous alternating left/right slapping to the head. With the lowers installed, I sit in a nice, comfy still air zone.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have 900 classic with OEM windshield. I have added lowers and made every adjustment possable to the windshield and I still get a tremendous amount of buffeting. I'm seriously considering a Batwing faring.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Burnside,

Before you drop that much $$ for a batwing (unless you just think they look cool) I would try a set of lowers. I made my own for about $35.00 and eliminated 90% of the buffeting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 on the lowers. I run Memphis Fats shield (largest models) and lowers. The Memphis shield does have an adjustable angle and this seems to have an effect. Love my bike. If only I could do 70 and not be bothered by the buzz. I think the helmet may also make a difference.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I run a 9 inch shield and lowers on my classic, im 5 10: the lowers make the difference, on my custom I run a 5 inch shield and lowers, a little more head buffeting.

·
Registered
227 Posts
... but until the wife signs off on the expense account I'll have to stick to no shield or a cheaper option.

Cheers
Well I thought I was the only one to have trouble justifying expenses for the bike...!
It was always difficult trying to explain to my partner why I needed this or that, for her there was no need so I am using a different tactic.
Whenever she buys a skimpy little dress for $180 which she definitively does not need (having plenty in the wardrobe) I get the same as credit for any mod on the bike (and mods last a lot longer than dresses...) I do not even mention it.
At the rate she went last year I have been able to do a good number of mods.
And the momentum is still going strong ;)
Cheers

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Love the batwing. 5'11", 34" sitting height, 9" shield, full face helmet, no lowers. At first I had some buffeting but within a couple of short rides I had adjusted the fairing and gotten rid of it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cant speak to the benefits of a batwing but I can speak to the benefit of having lowers. I had never had them before until I got the Nomad, and I took them off for a bit more air flow this past summer when it was 90 plus and put them back on after only a few days.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well I thought I was the only one to have trouble justifying expenses for the bike...!
It was always difficult trying to explain to my partner why I needed this or that, for her there was no need so I am using a different tactic.
Whenever she buys a skimpy little dress for $180 which she definitively does not need (having plenty in the wardrobe) I get the same as credit for any mod on the bike (and mods last a lot longer than dresses...) I do not even mention it.
At the rate she went last year I have been able to do a good number of mods.
And the momentum is still going strong ;)
Cheers
The problem I have is balancing the expenses between my bike and hers! I want this and that, but for everything I want she wants something for her bike too.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Burnside,

Before you drop that much $$ for a batwing (unless you just think they look cool) I would try a set of lowers. I made my own for about $35.00 and eliminated 90% of the buffeting.
+1 on this...

I made my own lowers also. I did not think about them at all till I took a ride from Houston to New Iberia, La. in 45F temperatures. I was bundled up nicely, and with the windshield I was comfy. But I began noticing that there was a breeze running up my helmet. I found that by putting my hand out just above the tank, I could stop the breeze and was comfy. I traced it down to below my OEM windshield.

So when I got to by brother-in-law's, I enlisted him to help make the lowers for the trip back. We followed these directions:
http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/lower.html

It was really pretty easy. Mine are not the prettiest, as I could not find the clamps locally and so we used tie-wraps to attach them to the bike. (I had to order clamps online, and have yet to put them on. Lazy...)

The lowers worked wonders. No more breeze, much more comfortable on the ride home.

I have a '09 Classic, and I don't notice much wind with the OEM windshield, but the lowers did help with the breeze flowing up my helmet. It was cheap (less than $30) and took us less than an hour to complete.

Rod

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
To Nitro and Whiting

Nice ride Nitro, I'm 5'10, and getting ready to purchase the MS Batwing as well. I currently have the largest MS windshield (16" I believe) on my 2000 Vulcan 1500 Classic. What condition is your windshield for Batwing in? How much are you asking for it? Which speakers do you have on yours please?

Whiting, Do you feel any buffering with your 9" windshield? Do you think I'd need a 12" windshield ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I like the nine, its a combination of form vs function ... works for me

·
Registered
227 Posts
The problem I have is balancing the expenses between my bike and hers! I want this and that, but for everything I want she wants something for her bike too.
I agree you 've got a bit of a situation here!
Does she have the same bike?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree you 've got a bit of a situation here!
Does she have the same bike?
No she has an '09 Honda Rebel 250...so basically a scooter in the shape of a motorcycle :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Windshield lowers help immensely. Before I installed them I was really getting beat up by the wind buffeting. Felt like a continuous alternating left/right slapping to the head. With the lowers installed, I sit in a nice, comfy still air zone.
+1

With the Kawa lowers and a set of Desert Dawgs on my freeway bars, I have almost as much wind protection as my Wing (just not the amenities!).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice ride Nitro, I'm 5'10, and getting ready to purchase the MS Batwing as well. I currently have the largest MS windshield (16" I believe) on my 2000 Vulcan 1500 Classic. What condition is your windshield for Batwing in? How much are you asking for it? Which speakers do you have on yours please?

Whiting, Do you feel any buffering with your 9" windshield? Do you think I'd need a 12" windshield ?
Thanks lphotolin. No buffetting for me with the 9". I am 5-7. The condition is very good. Had it on there for a few months only. It went over my head too much during the summer. For winter would be great. I took it off, cleaned it up and put back in original box and stored. The speakers are Hogtunes.com. When I do my 12" in ape swap soon. I am going to sell it cheap at $150 because I have another system to use. The 9" shield, I can let go for $50 shipped UPS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts