Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in buying a 2019 900 Custom LT which was 3 hours away, but had never ridden one.
I found a 2007 to test ride near me.
It was a windy day, but still.
At 65 MPH on the highway, I had to slow down for fear of losing control.
The side wind was shifting the bars / front wheel terribly.
I'd never ridden a cruiser with a windshield.
Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
What type and model of bike are you used to riding? This will establish a base point on how to determine your opinion of stability. If you drove touring bikes, then the difference of a cruiser with a windshield would be more dramatic. I owned Goldwings forever and now have a 900 and find the stability at highway speed fine. Also the bike you test drove might have some issues with the front end. Tire condition and pressure, steering stem bearings, etc... Windshields are effected by crosswinds, but not to the extreme that control of the motorcycle should come into question. Note the 900’s are a bit buzzy at highway speeds. What are the types of riding you plan on doing and what type of roads? Touring, two up, commute, day trips, local, city country, group.

Just for giggles included a link to KBB for the bike you are interested in. The private party selling price is between trade in and dealer price. Which brings the bike in at $5800.

·
Registered
220 Posts
PP, I ride a 900 classic and test drove the LT and passed on the LT because of the windshield. I think it comes down to personal preference, I don't like a windshield and spent a couple hours at 70 MPH yesterday with the wind on my chest and loved it. For me, a bike handles better at higher speeds without the windshield and wind share doesn't impact the handling of the bike when it's blowing or a truck blows by me on the highway.

And Tourer, this isn't a shot. I have the Ivan's ECU on my bike and it's not buzzy at highway speeds. At 70 mph I can roll on the throttle and still have plenty of acceleration without vibration or the bike getting buzzy. Maybe its Ivan's upgrade or just the way my bike was built but I'm not sure how the 900 get's a wrap for being buzzy.

·
Premium Member
2020 Vulcan LT
39 Posts
I was interested in buying a 2019 900 Custom LT which was 3 hours away, but had never ridden one.
Is this normal?
Tourer makes a good point about tire condition and pressure, steering stem bearings. Still, side winds can be a handful for any bike. The wife and I were going through South Dakoda many years ago on a Goldwing and out of nowhere got hit by a side wind that almost made me wet myself. Windshields are a common accessory and not typically considered unsafe.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is this normal?
It’ll get better! I felt the same way my first ride after 30 years. Now I barely notice it 3 months later.

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
I hear you March411, perhaps the better description would be they vibrate at 70-75 mph. Mine did until installing the Baron front pulley. That small drop in rpm made all the difference. Have a question on Ivan’s flash. Is there a significant gain in overall running of the bike if it is stock? Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hear you March411, perhaps the better description would be they vibrate at 70-75 mph. Mine did until installing the Baron front pulley. That small drop in rpm made all the difference. Have a question on Ivan’s flash. Is there a significant gain in overall running of the bike if it is stock? Thanks.
I was running an FI before I Ivanized with Cobra exhaust and intake. I would get some hesitation between first and second and sometimes when I would roll on the throttle. I always assumed it was the fuel management catching up. The decel pop wasn't my friend either!

After the ECU upgrade the bike runs outstanding, quick throttle response, extended the range of the gears and overall the bike just runs fantastic and zero decel pop. Personally it was the best investment I made for the bike so far. Yesterday I took a three hour ride and at 70 mph the bike ran great with enough throttle left to quickly pass when I wanted too.

And on average it added 1.5 mpg which on a 5 gallon tank doesn't really mean a whole hellava lot :)

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
570 Posts
Having a windshield can make a small difference in crosswinds but if you are heading into or away from the wind a properly adjusted height windshield won't affect your steering.
Like Tourer said that bike probably had other issues.

I wouldn't let the fact that a bike has a windshield affect my decision to purchase a good bike. You can always remove the windshield.
When I got back into riding I wanted a naked bike. But after looking at and sitting on numerous bikes I narrowed it down to the brand and size bike that I wanted.
After a lot of looking it seemed they all had a windshield and I finally found a bike I really liked in excellent shape at an unbelievable price, so I bought it.
I rode it for a few weeks and then I took the windshield and bags off.
It wasn't long until I put the windshield and bags back on.
Sometimes you think you want something but until you try something different you don't know what you are missing.

It is very important to have a windshield that is the proper height or else you probably won't like it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What type and model of bike are you used to riding? This will establish a base point on how to determine your opinion of stability. If you drove touring bikes, then the difference of a cruiser with a windshield would be more dramatic. I owned Goldwings forever and now have a 900 and find the stability at highway speed fine. Also the bike you test drove might have some issues with the front end. Tire condition and pressure, steering stem bearings, etc... Windshields are effected by crosswinds, but not to the extreme that control of the motorcycle should come into question. Note the 900’s are a bit buzzy at highway speeds. What are the types of riding you plan on doing and what type of roads? Touring, two up, commute, day trips, local, city country, group.

Just for giggles included a link to KBB for the bike you are interested in. The private party selling price is between trade in and dealer price. Which brings the bike in at $5800.

I'm currently riding a 2013 Honda Shadow Spirit 750.
I want to be able to ride on the freeway, when necessary, but for pleasure, I love back roads.
I would like to do some distance riding.
It would be just me, since my wife of 40 years passed away in January. That's what got me back into riding, after a 30 year hiatus. It's been a great distraction, from being home, alone!

Thank you, for the tips!
I shouldn't have taken for granted that the bike was in good shape, just because it was at a Honda dealer. The front end could have been jacked.
The bike that was 3 hours away, was a beautiful blue and gray, 2019 LT with less than 2000 miles, for $6000.

Thanks, to all, who have replied!
I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
116 Posts
I'm also back in the saddle after30 years.

I've got a 2020 LT that I've been riding it since the end of March. I've put over 4500 miles on it so far. 90% of my riding is on the highway @ 65MPH. (I live in the country).

I'll also point out that a little buffeting is normal. (It did bother me somewhat at first, but I got used to it) The windshield being connected to the handlebars will pass on a bit of wobble in a good crosswind. The saddlebags might contribute some as well. I've never found it to be at the point of feeling unsafe. Out of interest, I go on rides with a friend who has a fully dressed Harley Electra Glide. (Bags, trunk, and the works). He even complains about buffeting when the winds get gusty.

What wind speeds are you riding in? I don't usually ride on the highway the wind gets over 30 - 40 MPH. Even with the windshield, it's just no fun. I take the car then.

On windshields - since I ride 90% highway, I can't live without one. It stops the constant pressure from the wind. Plus it's easier to clean all the smashed bugs off the windshield than it is to clean them off my chest :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
My nomad weighs about 850 lbs. When the wind is blowing it gets pushed around as well. I don't think there is a way to prevent that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this normal?
I always rode sport bikes, but I just picked up a 1700 nomad. rode it 3hrs home with a windshield. I found it super stable. If you are a new rider maybe the cross wind feeling might feel awkward. Just relax and the bike will track straight it will lean into the gusts but that’s normal. Experience in it will make you get more comfortable. Stay safe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always rode sport bikes, but I just picked up a 1700 nomad. rode it 3hrs home with a windshield. I found it super stable. If you are a new rider maybe the cross wind feeling might feel awkward. Just relax and the bike will track straight it will lean into the gusts but that’s normal. Experience in it will make you get more comfortable. Stay safe
Thanks!
Doesn't the Nomad have a frame mounted fairing?
Wouldn't that act much different than a fork mounted windshield?

As others have suggested, maybe there was issues in the front end of the older bike I rode.

I try to stay safe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What wind speeds are you riding in? I don't usually ride on the highway the wind gets over 30 - 40 MPH. Even with the windshield, it's just no fun. I take the car then.
I don't know the wind speed that day, but the trees were moving quite a bit.

I didn't check the weather, before going out for test rides. Thanks, for the tip!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this normal?
I have a 2017 900 custom. Batwing installed. No win issues!!! Up to 95+mph

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is this normal?
I recently bought a 900 LT. Wanted it’s versatility with bags and windshield. I rode it a couple of weeks and decided I may have made a mistake buying it. Something just was not right. Then it hit me! It was the windshield. Removed the shield and immediately loved the bike. It suddenly looked the way I thought it should and I ride with much more confidence. This was my first bike in 40 years. Do I feel I made a mistake not going with the classic or custom? No. The accessories that came with the LT were necessary. My wife loves the sissy bar and I really wanted the bags. I now have two windshields. A much more aerodynamic smaller shield from Dennis Kirk on and off in seconds and the original which goes on a off in a few minutes. There are times a shield is essential such as at night because of bugs. I’m very happy with the LT. I would add I am a fair weather rider most of my trips less than 100 miles and I hold it to 65 and wear a full face shield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts