Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm a newbie to the forum. Two months ago I purchased my first bike, a 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom. (Its a great bike!) I need some advice in purchasing hard saddlebags. I checked out Amazon.com and was wondering if this combo of saddlebags and hard mounting brackets would work on my 900 custom. I already checked the measurements and the bags will fit fine. However, I'm not too sure on how to mount them. I know that I have to drill holes in the bags, but am not too sure if this combination will work. I'll include the bags and mounts links on the bottom of this post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bags: http://www.amazon.com/WILLIE-UNIVERSAL-SADDLEBAG-SUPPORTS-HM633/dp/B001GSAM1C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250220658&sr=8-2

Brackets: http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Universal-Hard-SaddleBags-Saddle/dp/B001G7BV40/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1250220693&sr=8-5

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Looks to me like it will work. Where you might run into trouble is finding bolts to mount the bags. And by "trouble" I mean you may have to look around a bit. I'd also be sure to use rubber bushings of some sort where the bolt goes through the hole in the bag.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
And how much did it cost to have them color-matched?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Kawasaki used a 2 part paint on this bike called Candy Plasma Blue. They wanted $100 for a pint each ($200 for both) of the metal flake base and the translucent blue over-coat, and this didn't include the clear topcoat. I went to a Auto paint supply and they computer matched the paint by scanning a side cover. They mixed a small amount and it looked perfect in the store. They supplied a 1 part paint for ~ $50 per pint. The painter called me after he shot the paint and it looked alot different in his shop. But I wasn't going to pay to have him to redo the paint. In pictures it looks like perfect match, and in certain light it looks good, but other times it doesn't have the vibrant blue of the Kawasaki paint. The only reason I didn't use the Kawasaki paint was the cost. Besides the cost difference of the paint, there would be more labor for spraying and sanding between coats. The bags aren't all that top quality (they look great) and I didn't want to pay twice as much to paint the bags as the bags cost. As it is I think I paid between $300 and $400 dollars, and I know the painter, he didn't even charge me for all the time he had into them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts