Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
I recently purchased a used 2012 Vulcan classic 900 LT with Vance & Hines twin slash staggered Chrome exhaust #18397 with stock & quite #21899 baffles.
My question is I am looking to take them off and sell them (Guess I am getting old ) and put a stock OEM set back on.
Does anyone know if a 2010 900 custom OEM set will fit my 2012 Vulcan classic 900 LT.
Thank you in advance for any info/help,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can't answer your question on the exhaust but you ought to take the Bedazzler from your grand daughter. :eek: :eek: :D
LOL - Guess original owner figured with all the studs it would get notice out in the sun light, like a strobe light. That is one of the reasons why I purchased this bike !!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm with Bill. I think you can swap the pipes on any 9!!... AND.. Some of us are bigger studs than others!!...... just sayin.;)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
First off, studs and chrome look great ;)

Second, yep! As of right now, ANY 900, regardless of model or year, is interchangeable in terms of exhaust. Any aftermarket or stock exhaust will work provided it doesn't get in the way of bags, etc.

I THINK I remember hearing of one exhaust that comes really close to the LT floorboards? But in the case of the OEM exhaust absolutely, it's exactly the same.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, studs and chrome look great ;)

Second, yep! As of right now, ANY 900, regardless of model or year, is interchangeable in terms of exhaust. Any aftermarket or stock exhaust will work provided it doesn't get in the way of bags, etc.

I THINK I remember hearing of one exhaust that comes really close to the LT floorboards? But in the case of the OEM exhaust absolutely, it's exactly the same.
Just called a 1-877-473-4595 Partzilla. and was told the part number I need for complete oem exhaust system is 18087-0281 FR & 18087-0282 RR.
The 2010 oem system part #18087-0143 & 18087-0144 will not fit due to a connecting hose ?????? when asked about connecting hose !!! He could not explain said it was different.
Does anybody know what he is talking about.
Thanks again,
John
PS: I like the Studs & Chrome - Thank for the compliment.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Whistler,

It will fit. The Partzilla guy just fills orders from a computer screen and I would be very surprised if he rode a Viulcan. There is no "connecting hose" on the exhausts. Its 2 gaskets, four cap nuts, three bolts, and one additional nut. The pipes are the same.

KD

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A "connecting hose" may have something to do with emissions (blah blah California blah blah...). Sounds like the kind of thing I'd tend to disregard. Sometimes I regret it, though.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Something else to consider is that the bracket that holds the exhaust to the bike might be different between the V&H and stock. When I changed my exhaust to Cobras, part of the installation was changing out that bracket.

Stock:

Cobra:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something else to consider is that the bracket that holds the exhaust to the bike might be different between the V&H and stock. When I changed my exhaust to Cobras, part of the installation was changing out that bracket.

Stock:

Cobra:
Thank you for bringing that up :)!!!!! I will need two brackets muffler stay#35063 + Muffler bracket# 11054B Plus two 130D bolts 10X14. Will have to start asking around.
Thanks again for everybody's help
John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whistler,

It will fit. The Partzilla guy just fills orders from a computer screen and I would be very surprised if he rode a Viulcan. There is no "connecting hose" on the exhausts. Its 2 gaskets, four cap nuts, three bolts, and one additional nut. The pipes are the same.

KD
Went to dealer yesterday morning, parts guy said no they won't fit so I asked to speak to a mechanic. He said YES they will fit !!!!
Mechanic told parts guy to look up the Vance & Hines twin slash staggered Chrome exhaust #18397 part number for a 2010 and do the same for a 2012..... Need I say more.
Thank you everyone for your input,
John
PS: reddyford, First Grand daughter will not be born till end of month :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Thank you for bringing that up :)!!!!! I will need two brackets muffler stay#35063 + Muffler bracket# 11054B Plus two 130D bolts 10X14. Will have to start asking around.
Thanks again for everybody's help
John
i just took the stock pipes off my custom and put the complete bottom pipe on my classic, its a straight swap ... the connector the guy was talking about was the "cross over" pipe which is standard on these pipes. Here is the kicker ... I have those brackets that you need for free as the aftermarket pipes do not require them. I just left the house for California, a 10 day trip, but when I get home, I can mail them to you for the cost of postage. If you want to wait, let me know.

\maurice

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just took the stock pipes off my custom and put the complete bottom pipe on my classic, its a straight swap ... the connector the guy was talking about was the "cross over" pipe which is standard on these pipes. Here is the kicker ... I have those brackets that you need for free as the aftermarket pipes do not require them. I just left the house for California, a 10 day trip, but when I get home, I can mail them to you for the cost of postage. If you want to wait, let me know.

\maurice
Good morning,
I appreciate the offer. I am purchasing a set of stock pipes off another member who stated he believes he has all necessary hardware for mounting.
I will definitely keep your offer in mind. Please pm me when you return & have a safe trip.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good morning,
I recently purchased a used 2012 Vulcan classic 900 LT with Vance & Hines twin slash staggered Chrome exhaust #18397 with stock & quite #21899 baffles.
My question is I am looking to take them off and sell them (Guess I am getting old ) and put a stock OEM set back on.
Does anyone know if a 2010 900 custom OEM set will fit my 2012 Vulcan classic 900 LT.
Thank you in advance for any info/help,
John
Update ..... If anyone is interested...... Purchased stock pipes off a 2010 custom, Received them and they fit my ride with no problem.
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts