Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we haven't ridden in about 3 or 4 years. My wife has multiple sclerosis and so we are looking for a good comfortable bike. She will be a passenger of course. What is yalls opinions on a good smooth riding bike. My last one was a 1100 honda and overall it was good but it did have a tad of vibration. We will be weekend riders, maybe 100 to 150 mile round-trip. I was considering the 900 or 1600 vulcan. Just trying to keep her busy. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sorry for your wife's situation and her courage to enjoy riding with you. For her comfort I would suggest one of the Honda GL 1800's from 2001 - 2010. The co-rider seat is truly a Braca lounger. I had the opportunity to ride co-rider ONCE and I have been looking for a rider since so I could enjoy that back seat LOL.

I have my 04 GL 1800 specifically because my wife had a broken tailbone since her very young age. We got the 97 Vulcan 750 and even though the seat was soft and very couch like - the back riser was just enough pressure that she could only ride for 45 minutes before pain would bring us home. In 04 we bought the Goldwing and the rest was history. Unfortunately, she passed away June 2021 - and at the time I had 53K+ miles on the Goldwing. She rode with me for almost 40K of those miles. Some days were over 200 miles - most were over 100 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry for your wife's situation and her courage to enjoy riding with you. For her comfort I would suggest one of the Honda GL 1800's from 2001 - 2010. The co-rider seat is truly a Braca lounger. I had the opportunity to ride co-rider ONCE and I have been looking for a rider since so I could enjoy that back seat LOL.

I have my 04 GL 1800 specifically because my wife had a broken tailbone since her very young age. We got the 97 Vulcan 750 and even though the seat was soft and very couch like - the back riser was just enough pressure that she could only ride for 45 minutes before pain would bring us home. In 04 we bought the Goldwing and the rest was history. Unfortunately, she passed away June 2021 - and at the time I had 53K+ miles on the Goldwing. She rode with me for almost 40K of those miles. Some days were over 200 miles - most were over 100 miles.
Sorry for your loss. I will look into those. Neither of us is very big. I am 5'8 160. The size doesn't bother me as I have ridden for several years. And thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis, I'm glad to hear about her determination and strength, and you sticking with her and helping her with it!

I am assuming (I know about assuming!) that the vibration negatively affects neuropathy and/or allodynia as well as causes other nerve and muscle pain. Any V-Twin is going have a good bit of vibration, especially compared to an I-4 or a V-6. As @Dan18960 mentioned the GL is a great option. Big seat, and big, smooth motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I will look into those. Neither of us is very big. I am 5'8 160. The size doesn't bother me as I have ridden for several years. And thanks for your advice.
I'm 5'7" and 178lb - The wing is deceptive - it may be 1k dry weight but I can put it on the center stand easier than the 750.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The 900 will most likely be a little to stiff and for some reason some have a level of vibration that some feel is unpleasant, Mine does not but there have been many posts about 900 vibration so i would rule that one out.
As much as I LOVE the vulcans for comfort the wing takes the prize without breaking the bank. There are more comfortable bikes (BMW transcontinental) but they come with wallet rapping price tag.
The wings are reasonably priced and you can pick up a used one with out a lot of miles pretty easily.
I have had the oppertunity to ride the 1700 Vulcan voyager, A GL1800 and a BMW Transcontinental with my wife as a passenger. She loved them all but said the voyager was not as comfortable as the wing and the BMW was on a different level than even the wing.

I would say see if there is a motorcycle rental place near you that you could try a couple of different bikes from before pulling the trigger on one.

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. Going to agree that the Goldwing is the smoothest bike. Have had many over the years. If you can handle the weight. Agree with Plee911 that test driving some bikes is the best route to making a final decision.

·
Registered
2021 Vulcan Voyager
183 Posts
I applaud you for looking for a bike to meet your wife's condition. I will say from the experience of a wife with fibromyalgia that the 900 will send you home at the first real bump. It did us every time. We stepped up to the Voyager and she cannot wait to ride with me. I know that her condition is not the same as your wife and I cannot speak to the Goldwing or BMW, all I can say for sure is that the 900 is not the answer for our Ladys that want to ride in comfort.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My opinion would be a Goldwing with a nice, big, adjustable back seat. Something with arm rests that has lumbar support. A Voyager wouldn't be a bad choice either if you want to stay with Kawasaki. I've had a V-Max and currently am working on getting one back into nice condition and love the engines.

·
Registered
2006 1600 Nomad
54 Posts
I'm so glad your wife is still determined to ride. Just wondering if you have thought about a trike? If you are looking at the 1600 Nomads I will be putting mine up for sale in the spring due to some mild health issues and am thinking about a trike myself😁.
Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got home with a 1600. It has 15k miles on it. The ladies dad got ran over i killed on the highway and they were selling it. I hope its a good one. Rode it 100 miles home and about half of that was in the 🌧 lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
So we haven't ridden in about 3 or 4 years. My wife has multiple sclerosis and so we are looking for a good comfortable bike. She will be a passenger of course. What is yalls opinions on a good smooth riding bike. My last one was a 1100 honda and overall it was good but it did have a tad of vibration. We will be weekend riders, maybe 100 to 150 mile round-trip. I was considering the 900 or 1600 vulcan. Just trying to keep her busy. Thanks for any advice.
I ride a Vulcan 900 with an old Ural sidecar . I`ve put a towbar on the middle frame to hall a small trailer. Looks good together with my dog . I`m sure your wife would like a setup like it . The Ural has a low entrance step through . I selected my set up to suit my wife . As we`re both in our 70`s it`s an ideal outfit. For sidecar work the wide handlebars are best. And riding with a sidecar is like a cross with a quad bike style of ride . Talk to your wife first .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts