Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took my wife out in her 1st ride on the 900 custom. Bike has stock seat and is lowered. Guy i bought it from lowered it and he gave me the link he removed. My question...does the lowering affect the ride? She hated it and i like riding 2 up especially since the bike was bought as a single seater and i had it converted to a 2 seater.any suggestions?

Attached is a before and after pic in case it helps

Attachments

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
How is the preload set? If he was much bigger than your wife, likely, the preload is probably to tight for her weight alone, this will make for a very stiff ride. For riding 2up, that rear seat looks norrow, if so and her rear isnt narrow, I dout she will be very comfortable for any distance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
445 Posts
Looks to me you bought a stock seat for two up riding, they are one of the biggest complaints about these bikes. You may want to look into an after market seat. You can run a search here for ideas and opinions.

Ron

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Lowering reduces the amount of suspension travel which often results in a harsher ride. He may have also cranked the preload up to avoid bottoming out. Pretty common practice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He gave me the stock seat so i assumed it would be comfy for her, as for the what presets he had...i have no clue. This is my 1st cruiser, i assume i can go to the shop and have them look and see. Still learning this bike...24 yrs of sport so this is all new to me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
He gave me the stock seat so i assumed it would be comfy for her, as for the what presets he had...i have no clue. This is my 1st cruiser, i assume i can go to the shop and have them look and see. Still learning this bike...24 yrs of sport so this is all new to me.
The stock seat is comfortable for pretty much no one. I could handle it for about an hour and a half tops (which I thought was okay before I bought the Cross Roads) but my wife could only handle 40 minutes, maybe an hour. And it took a sissy bar to get her that far.

A new seat will not reduce harshness in the ride, but might make it easier to tolerate. If you're tall enough to sit the bike comfortably at factory height and the lowered look doesn't really appeal to you, put the OE link back in. Adjust the preload for the loaded weight. Tho my OE seat was pretty uncomfortable, the bike rode VERY nicely. Not as nice as my Vic, but much nicer than anything else that's been in our driveway (4 other bikes).

I also noticed (yes, just now) that it's a 900 Custom with the narrow little pillion. Might see if someone with a Classic will trade you for their seat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stock seat is comfortable for pretty much no one. I could handle it for about an hour and a half tops (which I thought was okay before I bought the Cross Roads) but my wife could only handle 40 minutes, maybe an hour. And it took a sissy bar to get her that far.

A new seat will not reduce harshness in the ride, but might make it easier to tolerate. If you're tall enough to sit the bike comfortably at factory height and the lowered look doesn't really appeal to you, put the OE link back in. Adjust the preload for the loaded weight. Tho my OE seat was pretty uncomfortable, the bike rode VERY nicely. Not as nice as my Vic, but much nicer than anything else that's been in our driveway (4 other bikes).

I also noticed (yes, just now) that it's a 900 Custom with the narrow little pillion. Might see if someone with a Classic will trade you for their seat.
Crossroads? Is that a seat? Im 6' 1" im ok but a little higher wouldnt hurt, especially if will help her ride too.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The shock is in front of the rear tire in the center of the bike. If you remove the side cover, not sure which one on the 900 but the 800 has the rear ignition and a bunch of wiring behind the left cover. The right cover gives you access to the pre load setting. There will be a collar on top of the spring with steps on it. The longer the step its set on, the tighter the spring will be, and the stiffer the ride. The Cross Roads is a Victory touring bike.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Crossroads? Is that a seat? Im 6' 1" im ok but a little higher wouldnt hurt, especially if will help her ride too.
Cross Roads is the model of Victory motorcycle I own now. The factory seat is just very comfortable, and I can typically ride around 3 hours before I start really feeling it.

I could sit flat-footed on my 900 Classic and I'm only 5'9", so you certainly shouldn't have a reach concern. I'd say go ahead and try the original suspension link.

That might help with the ride harshness, but a better seat sure wouldn't hurt. Check out Mustang, Russell, and Corbin and search them on the forums. Lots of opinions there. Not a cheap option, but most guys will tell it they were worth every penny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts