Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, sorry for what is most likely a stupid question. I am new to motorcycles and new to this forum. I just finally upgraded from my Yamaha Majesty 400 maxi-scooter to a new-to-me 2007 Vulcan 900 custom. I am loving the transition and learning as much as I can of this new hobby/culture. I was doing my oil change and cleaning of the air filter, and shining the bad boy all up for the first time since getting it a few days ago and I noticed an interesting cable coming from under the seat. it doesn't seem to be connected to the battery directly. It looks like it's coming from a harness. I am unsure what it is. I asked my Harley friend and he said he thinks it might be a data cable for diagnostics. However, I can't find anything in the manual about it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of connection this is for, and what the cable may be for. Thank you so much.

191479413_195479192467060_7218058775259413775_n.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
156 Posts
Definitely not the diagnostic port on a Vulcan 900. It looks like a power accessory cable.

As mentioned, lift the seat and show us where it is connected. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think yall might be right, some kind of accessory connection. It's a shame no one knows what kind of plug that is though. It would be cool if I could easily connect an accessory. Here is a couple more images. It's ziptied to the frame of under the seat and then runs under the rear fender. After work tonight I could try figuring out how the rear fender comes off to try tracing it more if that helps. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
156 Posts
It's a shame?? Well dude, you bought it that way, it's your bike and that is definitely a connector the previous owner installed.
good luck

. It's a shame no one knows what kind of plug that is though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a shame?? Well dude, you bought it that way, it's your bike and that is definitely a connector the previous owner installed.
good luck
I don't get your response? I was by no means talking negatively. I love the bike and I wouldn't have changed anything. The previous owner is unsure what it is too, he said when he bought it 10 years ago it came with it and he never knew so I have been on a mission to try and find out. I just simply meant its a shame no one I talked to so far know what it is for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After some further investigation, it does indeed look like it belonged to a LED light system. Thanks, everyone. I am going to play with it and see what's going on and add some LEDs. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are the LEDs already there perhaps?
Ha! I just checked and it does hidden inside the frame. Looks to be all the lights, adapters and even the controller mounted under the fender. Just no remote to control the system so plugging it in does nothing. I wonder why it was disconnected. Maybe the lights were draining the battery too quick or something back in the day. I am going to try getting a module to fit the connections with a new remote with on / off. Thanks, everyone. I really feel like kind of an idiot not finding the lights before and making the connection.

·
Registered
‘95 Vulcan 800 Custom
80 Posts
Best to remove/examine what you have there. That way you’ll learn more about what you’ve got and how to test it.

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
866 Posts
The Yamaha i used to own had all those LED lights everywhere when i bought.
I was trying to wire a USB charger for the handle bars is how i discovered them. Looked like a snake pit under my seat and all over the frame. Jerked it all out and cleaned up the mess of wires.

·
Registered
617 Posts
LED Was what I thought may be the answer. Can you contact the former owner and ask what it was and why it was disconnected

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LED Was what I thought may be the answer. Can you contact the former owner and ask what it was and why it was disconnected
I finally got in touch with the previous owner that installed LEDs. he installed them super professionally but said he was having issues with the battery losing power faster than it could charge and it died a couple times while in use. This surprised me as you would think some LED lights would use marginal power but I think it was a stator issue at the time cause the owner after him said he ended up replacing the stator.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Yamaha i used to own had all those LED lights everywhere when i bought.
I was trying to wire a USB charger for the handle bars is how i discovered them. Looked like a snake pit under my seat and all over the frame. Jerked it all out and cleaned up the mess of wires.
reminds me of a bike i bought once. a guy had taken a junction box, like you would find in a house, and mounted a digital tach, headlight modulator, twin air horns, and an on/off switch for the light bar. except for the tach, the rest of it worked only sometimes, and looked like hell. digging it all out of the harness was a pita. i chucked it all except for the airhorns. i repurposed those to the trans am. with more current going to the compressors, it was like a freight train. i sooo enjoyed the effect those horns had on people texting when the light turned green. hahahaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts