Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
There are lots of widening kits available for the 900, but I do know that the Metz 880 200/70-15 will fit with the stock rim. Other widths will fit with minor mods as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Weather...i saw a thread in here a few days ago where a guy had put a 230 on the stock rim. my eyes could have deceived me but i read it several times. i'll look for the thread...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, it went straight on. I used the original tube, as my rims are the spoked ones (not tubeless). It really fills the mud guard up now. Looks great.

Mike
here's the post....

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got the avon 230 on mine with a 2 inch lowering kit and love it. Fit on the stock rim and looks great.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Hello, weatherman900: There is a company, I want to say the name is Kosman, maybe in CA, and they widen wheels. No, it is not some wild idea, they do it routinely for racers, and they do excellent work, I have seen some of it in magazine articles. It is the most practical thing for you to do.

Why? Because if you can get some feedback about how wide you can go with the wheel and still have clearance with swingarm and tire, you can correctly accomodate the tire that will be the widest that fits within your rear swingarm assy. If you place a wider tire on the OEM wheel, you can't go too much larger, but a little. If you want a real drastic change you need to mount the tire on a wider rim to make sure the sidewalls don't get placed at an angle and change tire performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=56161#post56161

This tire should fit on most 900 bikes Mine is the only one I have heard of that it don,t fit.my ajuster is @ 3rd mark most I beleave are @ 4th which is just anough to keep it from rubbing.
The 3rd mark from the front is the 4th mark from the rear.
When people mention the 4th mark, I always assumed it was from the rear.
Anyways, I have a Avon 230/60-15 on and don't have any rubbing although there isn't a whole lot of room either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
| | | | | |
mine is @ 3rd from the front or 4th from the rear

·
Registered
38 Posts
What is the recommended PSI for a 90/90/21? The previous owner wrote 28psi on his notes section of the manual but it was set to 40psi when I bought it.

The rear is a 180/70 and set to about 38psi.

Both Metzler tires.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is the recommended PSI for a 90/90/21? The previous owner wrote 28psi on his notes section of the manual but it was set to 40psi when I bought it.

The rear is a 180/70 and set to about 38psi.

Both Metzler tires.
40 psi on front.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What about the rear? Same? More/less?
38 psi is good on the rear, unless you start to see the tread cup, (which you shouldn't at 38) if you start seeing an irregular wear pattern bump it up a lb.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts