Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been asking myself a lot lately, just why at this late stage in life did I want to ride a motorcycle for cryin out loud? Rode em as a teenager, but since getting out of the service had no interest whatsoever. Oh sure, guys in the family had em, friends had em, several employees had em, but I had no interest, so why, several years after retirement age did this happen?

I wonder how many of you guys out there had this happen to you?

Has it changed your entire life?

Have you found yourself drifting away from your longtime friends?

Things you used to do for fun, they're not so much anymore, and just intrude on your saddle time?

Are you losin it, or is everyone else in your life just old fuddy duddies with no since of adventure?

Is it about to cause a divorce because your wife, family & friends can't adapt?

Did that first wave you got take you by surprise and tingle just a bit, and now you wave at even the skateboarders?

You do realize, or do you really, that just one spill, even a slow speed one, may end this crazy infatuation in one split second?

Dang motorcycles!

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I rode as a kid and part of the way through high school. I always wanted to get back on a bike, but kids (mostly) work, etc.
A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to get back on a bike and have not regretted it. I still have work conflicts (my wife's work) with riding on some weekends to club meets, but I still ride at least to and form work when I can. A few things do intrude on my saddle time (see previous statement). I still have fun in other ways, it is not ALL about the bike. No divorce because of the bike, but I suppose it was close even though she knew when we married that I wanted back on a bike and she said OK... go figure. The first wave did bring back a few memories and yes I wave at bikes, trikes and all li'l kids. We are born into this world knowing at some point we will die. I have spent 13 years in the Army and 28 in law enforcement. In addition I have been an EMT and EMT/P and a volunteer fireman. I have been a jailer and a police dispatcher. The last 15 years I have been a police officer. I understand the inherent risks of riding and I still choose to ride. Insurance policies have been set up and are paid to take care of my wife and the bills from what ever final day I have.

I still ride and just try to be aware of things around me and enjoy the time I have left. Worry just makes you old and spoils time with family friend and mother nature and that includes my time hunting..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your story sounds much like mine... I rode motorcycles in my teens on my grandfather's farm. Once I got old enough to get a car my parents were very much opposed to a street bike and I never really had a strong urge. In my 30s I started to get the itch for a bike again and then I got in a car accident where I was stopped at a read light and a army truck smashed into me and I ended up getting a titanium plate to fix the resulting neck damage.

See: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/660446_I_don_t_think_I_shared_a_photo_of_my_new_hardware.html

Well, once I got fixed up I decided life is too short and I finally decided I was going to get back on a motorcycle. My first bike was a DR650 Enduro and I had that for just over a month put 800 miles on the bike and got my license on it. I sold the bike for exactly what I paid for it too $1450 so it was a cheap way to learn. My second and current bike is a 1999 VN800B and I am really loving this bike but it was purchased as a "transition bike" with my plans to move up to a larger cruiser or touring bike. I am fairly confident that my next bike will end up being a 1600 Nomad but I have time to decide!

As for riding, I ride to work every day it is not supposed to rain and I love to get out for a early morning ride on weekends. My marriage has been a mess before my car accident and I will not share the dirty laundry here other then to say the bike has helped me find a healthy way to escape an ongoing series of marital disappointments. Riding a bike is almost like flying and after riding I have a new found appreciation why dogs like to have their heads hanging out a window while riding in a car! I am just glad I started riding in my 40s as opposed to waiting longer so that I can have more years in the future on two wheels!

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Bike interest

Quarterbore quote: After riding I have a new found appreciation why dogs like to have their heads hanging out a window while riding in a car!

Bikers know this!!!! :cool: :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
My wife and I have always love the open feeling. I have a GMC Pickup, but gotta have a truck, I have my bike and the wife has her convertible. Just something about it. I have had a bike since I was 18 except a 2 year period when I just could not afford it.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
At some point in your life, you're going to wake up and realize that long life you've been living is half over. You start thinking about things you've always wanted to do and haven't been able to. You start wondering if you're ever going to get to try those new things. For the first time you realize you don't get any "do-overs" in life. You don't want to waste any more time. You realize you'd better start LIVING. So, you go buy a bike and start.

Sorry to be such a downer.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
All good responses. Me, I'd like to say I love the open air and the freedom it provides......................Oh well, I ride cause the females are attracted to nice looking bikes.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At some point in your life, you're going to wake up and realize that long life you've been living is half over. You start thinking about things you've always wanted to do and haven't been able to. You start wondering if you're ever going to get to try those new things. For the first time you realize you don't get any "do-overs" in life. You don't want to waste any more time. You realize you'd better start LIVING. So, you go buy a bike and start.

Sorry to be such a downer.
Actually, that’s not so much a downer as much as it is conscious, rational thought. But how can it be rational to decide to do something that you know is just a little bit insane, a constant gamble. I don’t remember any rational thought, just an urge really. That urge for some excitement, something different. Hard to explain really.

But when you actually do it and feel the rush of motoring down the road balanced on two wheels, you know its gotcha, and you start thinking about some sort of challenge and finding your niche; how fast, how far, how sexy, how tough, how practical. Hey, this motorcycling can open up a whole new world here.

Fortunate we are. Irrational, but fortunate.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Have wanted a bike off and on since early 20s. When my wife of 18 years passed, I finally decided, its now or never. At 45, I bought my 800b, and may be the only reason I'm still around today, it was so therapeutic. It now has 108k miles and my Voyager should have 14k by the end of the weekend, it'll be a year old at the end of july. As its been said "bikes don't come with a reverse gear, because you should always be moving forward". I've never looked back!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I started my biking "career" when I was young on a Honda Trail 50. Best thing to happen to me in grade school. After that, I didn't even consider getting my own ride until my early 20's when I bought a left over Vulcan 750. After that, I haven't been able to hold onto a bike for any length of time. Something almost always comes up which forces me to part ways. BUT, I always found myself back in the saddle. Since the VN750, I've owned an '07 Honda VTX 1300C, 2x '09 KLRR650's, an '06 VN900 Custom, and now an '09 VN900 Classic. It would seem Maw Kaw has a bit of a loyalist.

As to what drives me to keep riding? It's a different-than-normal mode of transportation. I like to go against the grain; and, I guess riding a bike achieves this for me. Plus, I feel alive when riding, almost like I'm a different person as compared to when I drive the cage. I also love the comradery from other bikers. With a motorcycle, I always feel like I am apart of a large family. This is something cagers lack on the most part. Yeah, you have the car clubs and what not; but I don't feel it is the same as the big biker family.

Anyways, ride hard and prosper!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I started riding in high school and haven't ever stopped.
I find most things that people do for fun to be boring.

JJ

·
Registered
415 Posts
It seems to me as i get older time passes more quickly, riding seems to slow life down to an immediacy of just me, myself, and rIde; also the peace and serenity it gives away from all the drama that accumulates in one's life.....ride on!......

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did some smalltime BMX as a kid. Rode minibikes and dirtbikes with friends as a got older. When I was 14, my best friend was my girlfriend's 45 year old dad, who had three Harleys at any given time. He was always trading/buying/selling just to keep it interesting, but I talked him into hanging on to his night train for my use. He and his girlfriend, and his daughter and I, would take short trips occasionally, just around town or to the lake for the weekend. He also let me borrow it a few times for solo joy rides. Yes, I was way underage, but I've always looked older than I am, and I never got pulled over because I never did anything stupid right in front of a cop.

In my later teens, I worked cattle from horseback during the summers. Did a few search and rescues, held a few charity rides for mentally and physically handicapped kids. I preferred working cattle.

For me, it's not the bike, it's the freedom. That feeling you get when you're alone. You can still have camaraderie among friends, but you and you alone are accountable for your actions for the most part. If you're riding alone, it's just you. No one yapping your ear off about some bullshit dancing with the stars, or urging you to speed up or slow down. You're not even trapped smelling your own or someone else's farts, although I did blast my son once so bad that he begged me to pull over, then screamed that it had gotten trapped in his helmet and wouldn't go away, but I digress.

No music (not for me anyway). Just the wind and the road in front of me. Several times lately I've even forgotten where I was going, simply because I stopped giving a damn mid ride and was just enjoying myself.

That's part of the reason y'all haven't heard me much lately. 3,000 miles (approximately) since I got my 900 in February, then housework and single dad stuff, not to mention a full time job, I've just been busy. Riding is my only release lately.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
318 Posts
And I always have a ready excuse for women I don't want around. "sorry babe, left the spare helmet at home."

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I neither had nor wanted to have a motorcycle up until three years ago when I saw Groupon ad for half-off individual riding lessons. Took couple lessons and was immediately hooked.
One thing led to another, next thing you know motorcycle permit, MSF course and few months later my very first brand new to me 2006 Vulcan 500 at 44 years old. I think it was a best decision I ever made.
Couple of months ago I upgraded to 900 classic. Like for many others it is my therapy. Don't get to ride too often due to work and family obligations, but any chance I get it makes me feel so much better.
One of my biggest supporters is my wife which is especially priceless to me considering that she does not ride and will not even come close to anything on two wheels. She never learned to ride a bicycle as a child, hence the inherent fear of it.
Nevertheless she supports my interest in motorcycling. So I'm extremely lucky that way.

Will I be riding few years from now? I don't know, nobody does. But as it stands right now I am and will be for as long as I can.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I started riding as a kid on an Indian 50 and moved up to a Yamaha 650 special. Tore that bike apart, rebuilt it to my specs, shaved 30 thousands off the heads, ported and polished the valves, put a custom paint job on it and all the chrome goodies. Loved riding that bike everywhere. Then I made the capital mistake in my early 20s of getting married. The wife said no more motorcycle for you......

Then a few years ago the wife decided the grass was greener else where and we divorced. Put my life back together and found a wonderful woman who loves me for being me without wanting to make changes. She asked me last year if I wanted to start riding again. So I got myself a 2009 Vulcan 500 with 3200 miles on it, took the Motorcycle rider class and the rest is history. My job keeps me busy so not much spare time so I ride to work and back when the weather permits. I have other hobbies as well like shooting, golfing, tennis, hiking but the bike is my daily escape. Getting ready for first long distance ride (tomorrow) which is about 2000 miles round trip. Looking forward to the ride!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting thread, as I get asked this by friends and co-workers (obviously they don't ride). I had my first in the Air Force in Florida back in 78, no MSF, no real rules on motorcycles back then, just hang on. Sold it getting out of the Military and while I always wanted another, couldn't afford, or got married, then children, the whole drill. Fast forward to 2013, wife closes her store (long story), I have another cervical surgery, and my wife who has never been on a motorcycle, brings me an ad, and says lets buy this, my 03 Nomad fi. Brought us closer together as she is the one looking for days to ride, and planning road trips. For me, peace and quiet. In the cage, the phone rings non stop, and cages are what I am in for work, so this is just pure enjoyment and relaxation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wonder how many of you guys out there had this happen to you?
YUP, all of us...

Has it changed your entire life?
YUP

Have you found yourself drifting away from your longtime friends?
YUP

Things you used to do for fun, they're not so much anymore, and just intrude on your saddle time?
YUP

Are you losin it, or is everyone else in your life just old fuddy duddies with no since of adventure?
YUP

Is it about to cause a divorce because your wife, family & friends can't adapt?
NOPE (Whew!)

Did that first wave you got take you by surprise and tingle just a bit, and now you wave at even the skateboarders?
YUP

You do realize, or do you really, that just one spill, even a slow speed one, may end this crazy infatuation in one split second?
YUP. Keep those eyes open and ATGATT Will hopefully help me keep safe and back riding...

Dang motorcycles! Gotta love 'em !!

WEG

1 - 20 of 33 Posts