Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I am no stranger to clunks. I had a vs tar before my Nomad and it clunked and whined like nobody's business. But with my Nomad I have noticed a really loud clunk in gears 1-3, quieter in 4 and silent in 5-6. I am running mobile 1 full synthetic 20/50. My bike only has 3,000 miles on it.

Will it get quieter as it gets more miles?

What I it about the design that causes the difference between the gear noise level?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Does not get quieter. 23,000. That's why her name is Betty Clunker.......

·
Registered
440 Posts
All my bikes clunked, as long as you know its normal dont worry about it.. You should switch to AMS 10/40 smoother on the tranny and cooler temps.. i tried the 20/50 and switched back . These tranny's are tried and true..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have noticed that the shifting noises get a lot better after I adjust where I'm shifting gears relative to engine RPMs. I'm used to winding a gear out on my old bike but get loud gear clunking on the Voyager if I try to do the same.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Yep... if you drive like an old man on a moped it shifts smoother... OH.. I am an old man on a moped.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My smoothest shifting bike is my little 250 dual sport.

I recall reading somewhere that Kawasaki uses square cut gears for strength and longevity on these big engine bikes. Mine has 45,000 miles on it and still clunks going from 1st to 2nd.

I found that using the heel shifter works better than the toe shifter for a quieter shift.

I have been running Mobil 1 20w50 for the past 35,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear it is normal, I did not notice it so much on the Nomad I had but very loud on the 2011 Voyager. Just installed new Cobra Tri Ovals and they were so loud at times no longer heard the clunk. Bubba you are right I aslo had the pipes wrapped and I am very happy I did, huge inprovement in heat I feel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts