Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Just wondering about the idle on my VN 1700. It's higher than any of the other vulcans, like the 1500 or 1600. It's possible to lower it some via the digital setting (from 950 to 850) but it still sounds like the bike is on choke!
Is there some way to lower the setting further than the original setting? :confused:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
There should be an idle adjustment knob next to the air filter to adjust it with. Just make sure you adjust it properly AFTER the bike has had time to get up to temp. Also setting it too low could starve the top end of oil while it is idling.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I believe on the 2009 and newer 1700's the only idle adjustment is the electronic, they don't have the adjuster next to the air filter.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Very well could be. I easily could be mistake since I am not a 1700 owner, but almost all of Kaws cruisers are located there. I posted mainly to emphasize to importance of having it high enough to circulate the oil.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vulcan 1700 Hasn't got any manual adjuster at all, it's totally digital.
The standard setting is 950 r/min at idle, and it's adjustable +100 revs and
-100 revs. That is, I can adjust it between 850 and 1050 r/min.
I still feel that 850 is a bit high, and would personally want a setting somewhere around maybe 750 or so......
Does it exist some kind of workaround to lower the idle setting further than the allowed range from the original Control Unit?

·
Registered
320 Posts
just be careful going too low if you have different exhaust from stock as you can get increased popping through the exhaust that sounds like a backfire because when you electronically lower the idle you are in fact allowing the butterfly in the throttle body to close more ,reducing air flow.This can have a side effect of allowing raw fuel into the engine without enough air to burn completely when under load.When the fuel exits into the hot exhaust pipe it explodes.Some claim they can hear it even with stock exhaust pipes which muffles the popping a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have found since I have moved to Texas in the land of imitation and watered down gasoline, depending on the the gas I get effects my idle a lot from tank to tank. That's why I get my gas only at one station here in town. Which seems to work best, and then only he highest octane available on the road.

I have noticed that if it does not like the gas I put in it, it will idle minimum 1000 RPM up to 1100 RPM.... But since I have been careful in the past few months, it has not done it near as much. I tend to run a whole tank every time I ride it.... every day the weather lets me... some days 3 tanks or so just looking at the country side...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wouldn't do it... but report back on your results.

There are a few different "features" to the 1700 engine, including an oil system that doesn't so much keep a wet sump, but circulates it's oil through. (It's what makes the oil level so damn difficult to check properly).

The charging system is likewise reliant on there being a few revs passing through.

So I just put up with a slightly higher idle than other bikes... I figure there's a reason.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have observed in many years that a lot of non HD people no matter what scoot they have, want it to idle slow like some of the Harley guys do. I have heard hundreds of Harley's idling way to slow also. I know guys with 4 cylinder engines run the idle down so low it barely runs when hot and they have to keep on the throttle when it is cold to keep it running. Not to mention the two cylinder guys too. Especially on the Vstar 2 cylinder Yamaha's. I used to got on those guys in our MC group all the time. And they wonder why they have issues of it dying a lot when they pull up to a stop sign and low battery charge all the time.

I have my idle set at +100 and it looks to be around 850 on the tach... For what that is worth. Who knows how accurate that thing is...

I had a Harley Mech tell me once that he likes to hear a motorcycle (he was talking about HD) idling so slow it barely runs like so many do. Because it is hard on the journals. A easy fix for him and he said I make lots of money from it.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have observed in many years that a lot of non HD people no matter what scoot they have, want it to idle slow like some of the Harley guys do. I have heard hundreds of Harley's idling way to slow also. I know guys with 4 cylinder engines run the idle down so low it barely runs when hot and they have to keep on the throttle when it is cold to keep it running. Not to mention the two cylinder guys too. Especially on the Vstar 2 cylinder Yamaha's. I used to got on those guys in our MC group all the time. And they wonder why they have issues of it dying a lot when they pull up to a stop sign and low battery charge all the time.

I have my idle set at +100 and it looks to be around 850 on the tach... For what that is worth. Who knows how accurate that thing is...
You can lug those bikes down quite a bit and still keep running. That is how I synced my carbs redneck style on my 1100. I would turn the idle down until it ran a little rough then I would smooth it out with the sync screw. Then after I got it smooth I would drop the idle and smooth it out with the sync screw. It worked ok, but not as good as if you hooked it up to a set of gauges.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have 3 1100 Silverados and a 650 Custom, I use the mercury sticks...

I have heard of the way SWVA_08V2k does it, but I have never tried it. Maybe I will next time and then compare with the sticks... Those 1100's are a little touchy with the sync...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I kept repeating it until I killed it out with the idle screw. But I did not just let it keep chugging. I would turn the idle up and flush it out from time to time to keep it good and clean and keep the oil circulating good. I did not have any gauges to check it, then I had a moment of genius and thought of this method. When you don't have money for mechanics or tools, you get creative.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have observed in many years that a lot of non HD people no matter what scoot they have, want it to idle slow like some of the Harley guys do.

I personally think that is because they like the sound the engine makes when idling at low speed. In my case I don't think it's possible to get that sound from my scoot, since the VN 1700 idles at a very steady pace, not like a Harley or a Kaw 1500/1600 engine at all.
My question initially was, is it possible to lower the idle even further than the original ECU permits.
I'm not trying to lower it to the amount that oil pressure or battery charging is insufficient, just to the amount that the engine sounds like it's on idle and not on choke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts