Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
...So now I head out the odd weekend with a group of 5 - 6 bikes. All Harleys except for my Vulcan and a Suzuki C50 Boulevard.

Pretty much same here. A good friend of mine had a Vaquero and I have my VN2K Classic. Everyone else we typically rode with had Harleys. He traded his Vaquero a year or two ago on a Harley (I should have bought the Vaquero...) but, now it's me and my gal on the VN2K, all my buddies and their gals on Harleys. LOL.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The only issues I've run into with my '99 Vulcan nomad 1500 is the soft recall of the oil pump gear. Which if you have a dealer repaired costs about $1,500 or more. There is a $300 workaround that you can do. That and converting it from double filament turn signals to LEDs are the only issues I've had with mine.
It's good thinking, posting about the 1500 oil gear. Mine was 2000+, so I evaded that, but a friend didn't. They did cover it though.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
If you are saying Kawasaki covered it, then you are going back in time. They haven't covered that in 12 years.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you are saying Kawasaki covered it, then you are going back in time. They haven't covered that in 12 years.
Oh yes - I should have mentioned it was a long time ago. He rides a wing, now. Back then, I used to recommend the Vulcan 1500 to anyone who would listen. Then, the 1600s came out and I replaced the Classic and later, the Nomad with 1600s. I have been disappointed with the 1700 ( several things), so I sold it. Still have my Heritage, but original post referred to Road King vs. Vulcan. I love the FLSTC, and wife rides it, too.
Might consider a 1500 or 1600, if they still made them.
It was the best value in a big twin out there - then. But yeah, you are right - times have changed. Still, I can't imagine any old 1500s out there still, that hasn't had that issue already addressed.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I agree that the 1700 is somewhat of a lackluster engine. When I bought my voyager, 6 months later I was so disappointed, I sold it. Was the last Kaw I owned until a fellow down in Atlanta had a 2004 Nomad with a bad bevel gear. (another reason I am somewhat against the shaft driven bikes). I bought it repaired it and still have it today. However my current favorite ride, I just purchased this past November, is a 2019, Ultra Ltd.

Picture is from a couple months ago on the Cherahala Skyway, NC & TN.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 2008 Nomad, and have ridden a couple of different Road Kings; now have a 2018 Voyager.

The Road Kings- if of the same vintage as the Nomad you are looking at, seem pretty archaic compared to the Nomad to me. I don't recall what year the Road King finally received a hydraulic clutch, but it was the last model in HD's Touring line to get it. A bike without a hydraulic clutch would not necessarily be a big deal to some people.

Some people just like the idea of the nostalgia and the HD 'image' (which can mean a dozen different things lol) that nothing else will satisfy. And there is nothing wrong with that.

If you were buying new, I'd say the Road King is way overpriced for what it is, but used, would be a much better value. Ride them both if possible, and ask yourself if having the HD nameplate is a major factor- if it is, it is unlikely any other bike will satisfy.

But then there are those who bought an HD and hated it and now own Kawasaki's.... LOL

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
I have a 1600 Nomad and I love it. I've gone 600 miles in a day one the stock seat with no comfort issues. But I would love to have a RK. Like many who posted though, it's the cost. One I can afford would be older and would have the 88 engine (1450 ccs) and I like the power of the 1600. Not sure I want to go with a smaller bike.

I'm curious which direction LoneRider went. Any updates?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That was a good deal on a Road King.
Around where I live people would be asking between 10 and 13000
I wanted to go with a HD RK 2007 or up because of the addition of the larger tank, engine, and improved breaking, and electronic cruse control. The 2013 Vulcan 1700 has everything but the tank size I was looking at. The price however is another thing. Any RK fitting that description I have seen with low mileage has been well over $10k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
All,
I went ahead and got the Vulcan. I rode the RK. I liked it and it was spunkier as someone said. I felt more at home on the Nomad though. I test rode the HD for probably 20 minutes, and the 1700 Nomad for longer. Well full disclosure, I got turned around on some back roads in east Texas when riding the Vulcan, and it took me a while to find my way back...don't ask, it's complicated. The 2013 1700 Nomad I purchased for $6k from a very nice gentleman. It has 14.4k miles on it along with the accessories I wanted including a Mustang seat with a driver back rest. It is a very clean motorcycle. Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences with me, along with your recommendations. I consider myself to be a relatively new rider because I started riding in 2015, even though I'll be 62 this year. I would love to have started when I was younger, but I made the conscious (safe) decision to put it off until my kids were out of college. Attached is a picture of the new ride. I hope it meets your standards. It appears to meet mine.

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
Beautiful. I love that color. Sounds like you made the right decision.

The RKs around here that would fit my ideal criteria are '09 and up with the touring frame, six speed, and 103. They go for 12 to 15K around here so slightly out of reach right now. But I am very happy with my Nomad. I'll keep up the maintenance and hopefully get another 50,000 or 60,000 km on it before it needs any serious work. I won't get much out of it for a price then but it won't owe me anything either.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts