Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vulcan 2000, 07, classic light touring bike. I've ridden it all around Western Pennsylvania last year clocking over 4k. It is my first bike.
How far can it go? It was sold to me as a light touring bike suitable for short juants to local parks and such. Is that because of the seat? I got an ultimate seat and solved that problem. Is it because of the low and forward handle bars? I'm working on that one.
There isn't that much wind unless I go really really fast. So, what with saddle bags and all, why is it called a "light touring" bike. It weighs 800 lbs! It is the largest commercial engine out there.
Could I go to Montana on it?
What would be different on a "heavy" touring bike? More storage for stuff, less wind, a radio... less power.
I like my V2K and want to go on it. I'm not ready to settle down on a Gold Wing.
There is a special photography school in Montana called Photographer's Formulary. Summer classes last a week each and they feed and house you. One of the classes would be good for me.
That's my winter dreaming.
Michael Carter

·
Registered
900 Posts
Logic would suggest that it will go as far as:
A: Your fuel tank will allow.
B: Your body will allow.
C: Your girl's body will allow.
D: Your wallet will allow.
Yes, you can go to Montana. There is some of the greatest biking in the world there. Take some pictures for us on your journey.

·
Registered
616 Posts
V2K light??

I have a Vulcan 2000, 07, classic light touring bike. I've ridden it all around Western Pennsylvania last year clocking over 4k. It is my first bike.
How far can it go? It was sold to me as a light touring bike suitable for short juants to local parks and such. Is that because of the seat? I got an ultimate seat and solved that problem. Is it because of the low and forward handle bars? I'm working on that one.
There isn't that much wind unless I go really really fast. So, what with saddle bags and all, why is it called a "light touring" bike. It weighs 800 lbs! It is the largest commercial engine out there.
What would be different on a "heavy" touring bike? More storage for stuff, less wind, a radio... less power.
I like my V2K and want to go on it. I'm not ready to settle down on a Gold Wing.
There is a special photography school in Montana called Photographer's Formulary. Summer classes last a week each and they feed and house you. One of the classes would be good for me.
Michael Carter
In regard to how far can you go??? you imagination is really the limit. Ive logged 8500m trips , 5000mi, trips and even a 10000. The longer trips need a bit extra planning as you may need to add "tire replacement" to your enroute list.
As for Montana, just watch your tire wear, change the oil on schedule & fill'er up, as required, pack spare bulb or so, get yourself some highway pegs , if you havent already. ENJOY

·
Registered
25 Posts
Michael Carter
The 2000 Classic LT is a light touring bike due to its limited luggage capacity, the small saddlebags don't give you much room too pack your stuff. Some of us that ride the bike long distance pack smart, add bags and storage capacity or pull a trailer. The bike is surely capable of taking you wherever you want to go.

Good luck

Mrfix

·
Registered
563 Posts
How far can you go

Go as far as the road will take you. I used to drive a Goldwing, was good for more room to pack stuff, better wind protection and more comfortable for my wife. With my V2K it handles WAY better in the wind, just pack a little lighter or use a trailer, and I just got the pillion modified at Mean City Cycles so the comfort issue for the better half should be solved. There are some GREAT roads in Montana. If you are up to it the Going to the Sun road is one of the best anywhere with great views and lots of slow curves.

·
Registered
616 Posts
how far

2009 , a fellow rode a Honda trail 70 to Sturgis , S.D. , from somewhere in Mississippi !! How many days would that be, on the road???

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you're worried about luggage let UPS or Fed-ex take it for you. If you know where you are going to be staying call them up and see if they will accept a package for you. Most if not all motel/hotels will if you've already booked a room with them. Pack a box of fresh clothes and supplies, ship it to your destination, swap it out when you get there and ship the old ones back home.

Of course if you stay somewhere with a laundry you could wash your own. Just make sure you know how to use the dryer or the ride home could be a tight one.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
sc, the LT stands for w/ Lettuce n Tomato. as in Bike LT. out, ponch

·
Registered
81 Posts
after doing 900 miles in two days on my sport bike- I think I could pretty much do anything on my 1600 classic. :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The pictures of the small bike with the gas can spout sticking up is really funny.
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18512
and yea, I've been in Peoria...
an adventuror for sure. brutal. goes to prove that if you make up your mind to do something.. it can be done. regardless. Andrew is a mere 22yrs green. Add 'nother 20yrs and his body would slap him silly (not to mention his wife or mother) for even pondering such an expedition.

Despite the bike and the time allowed, I take exception to using the Interstate system. sure it is a fine way to get from one place to another quickly and efficiently. boring! It is just riding to be be riding. Real America is in between. you can't really see, feel, smell, taste or experience it from gas station to gas station.

I applaud Andrew for connecting with folks along the way. That is the true essence of his story. not the mind (butt) numbing miles acrued on a less than adequate bike.

Don't mean to be picking on this fella.. too very much. Just that if others want to follow in his footsteps, I'd advise not using Andrews methodology as it is chocked full of dangerous mishaps that just didn't happen... this time.

Those of you who have done extensive road trips can read between the lines and know what I am writing. The most important thing Andrew could have brought along for this size of a journey would have been a freind. just saying. out, ponch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts