Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not going to turn this into a debate on whether you should or should not wear a helmet. That is your personal choice and I respect that. Just know that I do wear a helmet 99% of the time I am on a motorcycle.

I had a spill on Tuesday. Hit some loose stone in a tight curve that I did not see until it was too late. I rode the bike home, but spent the night in the er because my left ankle swelled up to the size of a soft ball and my head was a bit fuzzy. The Drs thanked me for wearing a helmet and said it would have been much worse without it.
My helmet after:
IMG_20150502_224133.jpg

Even though this was a very small accident at low speed, I feel it could have been a lot worse without a helmet.
Damage to bike:
IMG_20150429_172410086_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150429_172417749_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150429_172435784_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150430_204058074.jpg
Plus the left saddle bag is pretty beat up, but at least it protected the rear fender from any damage.

Now just to wait for my ankle to heal, order and install parts, and get back to riding.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Glad to hear you're doing okay! Like you I think a motorcyclist should make that decision for themselves. Doesn't mean I think it's a very smart decision or a decision I'll ever make :) They work.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law were hit head on last weekend. Distracted driver came around a corner way way over onto their lane. Ripped the forks off of their Harley and it went bouncing into the grass, they went bouncing the other way. They flew off of the bike head first and tumbled. Road rash, bruises, scrapes. But alive with no permanent or serious injuries.

Drive left the scene, too. But came back later. Claimed they had dogs in their car and wanted to run them home first before coming back to check on them. B.S. Most of us are of the opinion he got scared and took off, then realized he was driving around in a car with a bashed up front end and missing headlight in the vicinity of a felony (injury) hit and run!

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Yep. That's why I wear one too, either full face or modular, also I do not like to eat bugs. :). Those scuffs on your lid, that would have been on your face. If you had a proper boot on, your ankle would not be swollen now. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yep. That's why I wear one too, either full face or modular, also I do not like to eat bugs. :). Those scuffs on your lid, that would have been on your face. If you had a proper boot on, your ankle would not be swollen now. :)
Yeah my SIL/BIL were wearing half-lids and most of the road rash was on their face. Black eyes and stuff too. But that'll heal. Traumatic brain injuries often don't.

Did he say he wasn't wearing boots? Even with riding boots a swollen or even broken ankle is very possible.

I prefer a FF myself too. Better wind protection, don't eat bugs, etc. People think I'm crazy when I say I find it more comfortable. But hey, works for me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did have boots on. While they are not "ridding" boots they are heavy work boots and have protected my feet before in similar situations. Boots have no scuffs on them. Not sure why they didn't this time. I will add that I also had my leather coat on and it only has a few very slight scuffs that are not noticeable enough to take a picture.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
People think I'm crazy when I say I find it more comfortable. But hey, works for me.
I do not think you are crazy. I completely understand you. Well designed lid is very comfortable, light, well ventilated, quiet and does not abstract field of view. There is nothing wrong with that. I am all pro choice of riding gear. (even if it is 0) gear. But it should be dictated by personal risk assessment, not by cultural cliche, the type of bike one rides or government.

No. He did not say anything about boots. But speaking from personal experience a well designed proper riding boot that does not allow foot to bend on yaw axis, only on pitch axis for walking made a lot of difference for me. Of course if one would hit a brick wall at 70mph one would be dead no matter what gear.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I did have boots on. While they are not "ridding" boots they are heavy work boots and have protected my feet before in similar situations. Boots have no scuffs on them. Not sure why they didn't this time. I will add that I also had my leather coat on and it only has a few very slight scuffs that are not noticeable enough to take a picture.
We are glad you are OK, other than the ankle. That will heel. You are still with us on this earth. We are all going do die some day, no one get's off this planet alive, but let's not hurry to leave it, right. :)

GET WELL SOON!!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Generally, riding boots will be taller, and stiffer. Some will have steel or molded plastic 'braces' inside the leather. Not as comfortable to walk in but they offer a lot of ankle support in a get-off. Obviously, every one is different. Some are glorified work boots that they just tagged extra money onto and called it "motorcycle", or just regular boots with thicker soles.

Mine I love, they are zip-up (the real advantage to those is no laces to leak; absolutely bone dry in all kinds of weather; even torrential downpours). Very stiff leather. Less comfortable for walking around, but super comfy on the bike. The ankle support adds a level of comfort. In theory, it'll offer more support in a wreck. But for all we know your boots could've been the difference between a sprained ankle or a serious long-recovery tear!

Also, I'm positive you already know this; but it's time for a new lid. They are 'one time use'. Make sure your insurance adjuster knows about any damaged helmet/riding gear/etc. Most policies cover it (sometimes under 'accessory' coverage). There's an internal liner that actually does the work in a crash, and it's done it's job; and it's toast.

SOME helmet manufacturers even take back wrecked helmets (usually with a police report) and will replace them for free. They do R&D work on helmets that have been uh... "used"! And use the data to improve designs.

I do not think you are crazy. I completely understand you. Well designed lid is very comfortable, light, well ventilated, quiet and does not abstract field of view. There is nothing wrong with that. I am all pro choice of riding gear. (even if it is 0) gear. But it should be dictated by personal risk assessment, not by cultural cliche, the type of bike one rides or government.

No. He did not say anything about boots. But speaking from personal experience a well designed proper riding boot that does not allow foot to bend on yaw axis, only on pitch axis for walking made a lot of difference for me. Of course if one would hit a brick wall at 70mph one would be dead no matter what gear.
For sure. And properly fitting. Lots of folks try a full face on once, one brand, or get one off of craigslist, or one came with the bike; and it's uncomfortable because it's cheap junk or just doesn't fit well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are glad you are OK, other than the ankle. That will heel. You are still with us on this earth. We are all going do die some day, no one get's off this planet alive, but let's not hurry to leave it, right. :)

GET WELL SOON!!!
I agree with you on that count 100%. Thank you for the well wishes. I am hoping to be back on the bike by May 24th. Have a big 300+ mile ride planned that day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I'm positive you already know this; but it's time for a new lid. They are 'one time use'. Make sure your insurance adjuster knows about any damaged helmet/riding gear/etc. Most policies cover it (sometimes under 'accessory' coverage). There's an internal liner that actually does the work in a crash, and it's done it's job; and it's toast.

SOME helmet manufacturers even take back wrecked helmets (usually with a police report) and will replace them for free. They do R&D work on helmets that have been uh... "used"! And use the data to improve designs.
Yes, I am going to pick up a new helmet in a few weeks when I go to Iron Pony.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
For sure. And properly fitting. Lots of folks try a full face on once, one brand, or get one off of craigslist, or one came with the bike; and it's uncomfortable because it's cheap junk or just doesn't fit well.
Not just cheap, but even expensive ones, not every brand is for everyone. I have tried just about every Arai in our Bay Area stores. And non work for me. Yet Arai is a world leading firm. I just do not have an Arai head. Also a DOT sticker does not mean much. Except that it is required to have one to be legal in US. What you want is a Snell Foundation or European Union Safety Standard certification. Snell actually performs independent tests. And EU health and safety rules are more stringent than ours in US. So one has to try many different lids to find a proper fitting brand in proper size. What works for one person does not work for the other.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Glad you're here to be able to post.. get better. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
boy_welder2000 - Glad you are OK and wasn't any worse! This is my biggest fear - that and the scenario that Romans5.8 detailed. R5.8 - glad your SIL/BIL are ok too! I cannot image going thru either of those two scenarios. I talk bike safety all the time to my friends (when they tell me I'm crazy for riding one)... mainly the things we do in the prevention category all the time to minimize risks that cagers do not think about. Hope you recuperate quickly and are back on two soon. Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get well. I've been there with a half helmet and got a couple of stitches on the nose and eyebrow.
Thank you. That is part of the reason why I wear a full face.

Glad you're here to be able to post.. get better. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. I cannot wait to get back on the bike.

boy_welder2000 - Glad you are OK and wasn't any worse! This is my biggest fear - that and the scenario that Romans5.8 detailed. R5.8 - glad your SIL/BIL are ok too! I cannot image going thru either of those two scenarios. I talk bike safety all the time to my friends (when they tell me I'm crazy for riding one)... mainly the things we do in the prevention category all the time to minimize risks that cagers do not think about. Hope you recuperate quickly and are back on two soon. Ride safe everyone!
Thank you. I almost got into an argument yesterday with someone about how dangerous motorcycles are. I just had to walk away (more like hobble, lol) I also talked to a lifelong friend who said that you have to do what makes you happy in life and if something happens, you just have to dust yourself of and keep going.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've learned to smile and nod when some well-meaning but oblivious person tells me motorcycles are dangerous. They aren't telling me anything I don't know. They are dangerous. So is obesity, driving a car, and millions of other things the people who tell me how dangerous my motorcycle is do. I might die in a motorcycle accident. It could happen. I mitigate risks with a Snell approved full-face helmet and riding gear (the latter most of the time, sometimes not), defensive riding and a meticulously maintained steed. But it could still happen. A well-known motorcycle safety author who had millions of incident-free miles on two wheels was killed years ago in a motorcycle accident. Literally, the guy who wrote the book on motorcycle safety, died in a motorcycle accident. It happens.

Or, I might die of old age (or of a car accident, fire, alien invasion) having spent an entire lifetime not doing one of the things that makes me who I am, makes me extraordinarily happy, and gives me incredible joy; and has made up some of the best experiences in my life so far.

Yikes. Now THAT is scary.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've learned to smile and nod when some well-meaning but oblivious person tells me motorcycles are dangerous. They aren't telling me anything I don't know. They are dangerous. So is obesity, driving a car, and millions of other things the people who tell me how dangerous my motorcycle is do. I might die in a motorcycle accident. It could happen. I mitigate risks with a Snell approved full-face helmet and riding gear (the latter most of the time, sometimes not), defensive riding and a meticulously maintained steed. But it could still happen. A well-known motorcycle safety author who had millions of incident-free miles on two wheels was killed years ago in a motorcycle accident. Literally, the guy who wrote the book on motorcycle safety, died in a motorcycle accident. It happens.

Or, I might die of old age (or of a car accident, fire, alien invasion) having spent an entire lifetime not doing one of the things that makes me who I am, makes me extraordinarily happy, and gives me incredible joy; and has made up some of the best experiences in my life so far.

Yikes. Now THAT is scary.
Thanks for saying what I was thinking. I have a feeling that I am going to be using what you said at work tomorrow. Your second paragraph pretty much sums up why I ride. I have had some great experiences in life and a good deal of them were because I ride. I will not let a minor set back keep those experiences from happening.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My poor mother in law had slowly, SLOWLY worked up to the idea of two of her daughters riding a motorcycle. Especially my wife who (gasp) rides her OWN! This is a woman, you have to understand, who doesn't even DRIVE if she doesn't have to. And has said if she had her way, she'd sell her car and throw away her drivers license. If she didn't have to, she'd never drive. For Christmas we got her and my father in law a trip to Florida and she's scared to go. The long drive, what if something happens while we're down there. Honestly, sitting in her living room for the rest of her life and never leaving would probably make her as happy as she could be. She's a wonderful woman, but just afraid of everything. The prospect of two of her girls riding MOTORCYCLES, and one of them being so independent as to ride her own? Scares her to death.

She had finally gotten "used" to it. Then this wreck happened. The thing is, nothing changed. Tomorrow's chance of a wreck is the same as the chance before the wreck (perhaps a little less; you can only learn from it). Interestingly, nobody seems to say "So after your car accident, are you not going to drive anymore?" Yet folks are already grumbling to my BIL/SIL, "I can't believe you're going to get another bike after all of that". What changed? Absolutely nothing. The risks are still there. They knew those risks before they got on that bike that morning. And they know the same risks with the next bike they own.

Well, my wife shows up the other day at their house on her bike. I was teaching a class on a Saturday so she went over there on her bike. Her mom about had a heart attack. We're about back to what it was like when Ashley first bought her own bike. Or even when she started riding on the back of mine.

Oh well! Good luck with your co-workers. My secretary is scared to death of motorcycles but has never said anything to me. Her husband rides, but she's never ridden.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did get a few eye rolls Romans. I also had one guy, who used to ride, but gave it up about 5-6 years ago because he didn't have the time (his words) ask me if I was going to sell it after I fixed it. I just looked at him and said "hell no, if I am fixing it, I am ridding it."

I will admit though, this is my second time taking a spill and while this time did less damage, the not being able to remember what happened has me a bit shaken. It is not going to keep me from ridding.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts