Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you pull in the clutch???????

This subject has been beat to death....blah blah blah. My belt is not too tight. I have the .090 spacer in place. I have the squeal of all squeals. I have loud pipes......the squeal drowns out the pipes.

It is bad bad bad bad between 65 and 75 (as indicated) where I tend to want to ride. I can pull in the clutch at 80 and coast to 65 with nothing but wind noise, so.........it can't be the belt........right??

It is a love / hate relationship.

I love to hate this bike...............unfortunately I am stuck with it.

Thanks Kawasaki

·
Registered
419 Posts
It is bad bad bad bad between 65 and 75 (as indicated) where I tend to want to ride. I can pull in the clutch at 80 and coast to 65 with nothing but wind noise, so.........it can't be the belt........right??
Use to date a girl that squealed.............not the place for this:eek:
Sounds like all the bike is doing is begging for mercy.;)
Actually it's all a bit of Physics in action. In this case belt squeal is caused by rubber being forced to slide on steel When your riding normally the torque/horsepower produced by the engine overcomes the friction between the belt and pulley causing the slip/squeal. When your coasting the belt isn't pulling against the pulley. Usually the squeal is caused by the drag of the belt on the side of the pulley but I suspect in this case it's the belt teeth slipping against the pulley teeth causing it. Put some belt dressing on the belt and see if it stops making the squeal. If so then you'll need to examine the belt and pulley the see what's going on/needs replaced.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Belt dressing has now become one of my usual maintenance duties, i typically check tire pressure , oil levels , apply belt dressing weekly. My belt alignments are all good the bikes are just so much quieter when i do this on a regular basis and it only takes a small amount of dressing to accomplish... Bulldozer

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
If you lightly apply the rear brake but maintain your speed, does that make any difference in the sound? Just trying to eliminate one source of squealing.

·
Registered
240 Posts

This subject has been beat to death....blah blah blah. My belt is not too tight. I have the .090 spacer in place. I have the squeal of all squeals. I have loud pipes......the squeal drowns out the pipes.

It is a love / hate relationship.

I love to hate this bike...............unfortunately I am stuck with it.

Thanks Kawasaki
It's probably not the belt or rear pulley; many V2K owners (me included) have that "squeal", usually from 65 to 75 mph. The general opinion seems to be the noise is caused by the fuel injection. I don't think Ma Kawi has a "clue" as to what causes it, or at least they're not saying ;) It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's sure annoying. Even with the PowerShot pipes, I can still hear it :eek:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Squeeling

I had a nasty squeel in the rear of the bike that I initially thought was the belt, and it turned out to be the bearing that supports the vibration dampner on the rear pulley. When I pulled the clutch at speed, it quit squeekin. It totally quit squeeling on the way down to Sturgis a couple of years ago and then the bearing piled up, dropping me on the pavement in Deadwood. If you are riding a pre-2006 model, you will only have one scrawny little bearing supporting all that weight and torque on that pulley. There is a kit to double bearing the dampner.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a nasty squeel in the rear of the bike that I initially thought was the belt, and it turned out to be the bearing that supports the vibration dampner on the rear pulley. When I pulled the clutch at speed, it quit squeekin. It totally quit squeeling on the way down to Sturgis a couple of years ago and then the bearing piled up, dropping me on the pavement in Deadwood. If you are riding a pre-2006 model, you will only have one scrawny little bearing supporting all that weight and torque on that pulley. There is a kit to double bearing the dampner.
mine is an 07. I would think a bearing would squeal at a given speed regardless of whether or not the clutch is pulled in, but that is something I may look at. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use to date a girl that squealed.............not the place for this:eek:
Sounds like all the bike is doing is begging for mercy.;)
Actually it's all a bit of Physics in action. In this case belt squeal is caused by rubber being forced to slide on steel When your riding normally the torque/horsepower produced by the engine overcomes the friction between the belt and pulley causing the slip/squeal. When your coasting the belt isn't pulling against the pulley. Usually the squeal is caused by the drag of the belt on the side of the pulley but I suspect in this case it's the belt teeth slipping against the pulley teeth causing it. Put some belt dressing on the belt and see if it stops making the squeal. If so then you'll need to examine the belt and pulley the see what's going on/needs replaced.
you are probably right on the "load"

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Belt dressing has now become one of my usual maintenance duties, i typically check tire pressure , oil levels , apply belt dressing weekly. My belt alignments are all good the bikes are just so much quieter when i do this on a regular basis and it only takes a small amount of dressing to accomplish... Bulldozer
I will eventually have to try this. Silicone and WD40 did nothing to help even in the short term. It really makes me hate to ride the bike.

Thanks

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
It is the damned belt. Mine started squeaking like a maniac but it only did it when I let off the throttle and allowed the bike to coast. Got so loud my buddy riding two bikes ahead of me could hear it.

A little spray on belt dressing solved that noisy problem. Now she's quiet as a mouse, well the belt is anyhow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a little "open gear" moly lube and put all along the left edge, hoping if that was the problem, there would at least be some change. No change whatever

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I took a little "open gear" moly lube and put all along the left edge, hoping if that was the problem, there would at least be some change. No change whatever

Wal Mart has some spray on belt dressing that works great. At $2.37 per can you can't go wrong. Even if it doesn't stop the squeal it's good for the belt. Go get a can a spray your brains out.

Da' Pig

·
Registered
25 Posts
133 tooth 1 1/2 in. wide dayco belt from 4X4Tuff will quiet it down to 0. 3700 mi. on mine and not a sound. Use the kevlar belt, not the carbon fiber.

·
Registered
616 Posts
kit

Danad , A buddy has had this problem , where can the double bearing kit be found??? Both my kids also ride 04's , maybe should do some preventative mods!
Do you know if the newer cush drive hub will fit on the older wheel/bike , I presume a newer spacer would also need to be included , or is there an "aftermarket kit"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought I had dodged the belt squeal issue with my bike, (05 VN2k), up until a few years back. One day it just started squealing at certain speeds and absolutely nothing had changed in the interim, the propblem surfaced virtually overnight. Spent days if not weeks scouring the net looking for a solution, nobody was having any lasting success so I put up with it.

Eventually in the process of moding the bike I went from a stock rear rim to a custom rim to suit a 265 tyre, installed 4X4's rear and front pulley and thought surely now I have left the noise behind ... nope :mad:

Resorted to the net once again and this time tried all manner of belt tensions, belt lubes and still couldn't shake the noise. In the end out of ideas I asked my local mechanic to adjust the alignment of the wheel so the belt runs true and doesn't touch either edge of the pulley.

Absolutely Beautiful!, racked up the K's since then with only the sound of the pipes to accompany me. Only draw back is a very very slight and intermittent vibration in the bars at around 20-40km/hr, (some rides its there some rides its not),

I have not noticed any excessive tyre wear on front or rear over the years either.

If nothing else has worked give it a go - what have you got to loose other than a hour if you can do it yourself, and of course the damn squeal :cool:

Simon

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have put mine up on the stand, adjusted, measured, put in the .09 spacer, adjusted so the belt rode absolutely in the middle....which left the alignment marks really goofy, and finally, all this, made absolutely no difference. No change in pitch, or when it started......nothing. I would like for it to even GET LOUDER.so I would know something was affecting something.

As stated in another post, I will put it on the Dyno when I can stop being busy 100 hours a week. If it still sounds like the belt when I am standing beside the bike, I'll try adjusting it while it is under load on the dyno. But as of right now I do not think mine is a belt issue. I though maybe I would accidently run over it with my tractor, get the insurance, pay it off, and buy something else, and maybe the squeal would stop. Hell, now I'm afraid it will be on whatever bike I get.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have not had any belt noise issues but I have changed my 2004 rear pulley to a 2006 twin bearing more for reliability.I am baffled how the wheel alignment markers have been ok when these bikes were new and no belt noise.Could it be possible that there is wear in the swingarm bearings that allow the flex to cause these noises.With the torque these motors have they have been known to crush rear bearings.
cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts