Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My wife and I purchased this in July of this year. It's a home originally built in 1912 and we have spent the majority of the summer working on it. The first pic is the house many years ago, the next is in July when we bought it (with the asbestos shingles), the 3rd is after the asbestos shingles were removed and you see the original siding again (though sadly, full of holes from the shingles and not salvageable), and the last is a couple of weeks ago after new pine siding and ongoing paint. All of the brown, blue and white are going to be even more brown (Benjamin Moore Mississippi Mud Brown) and the red (Benjamin Moore Exotic Red) will get a second coat next spring when it warms up. The upper deck should be done in a couple of weeks. Most of the house was redone to fix wiring, settling issues to install new doors and windows, all carpet was pulled up and some rooms got new flooring, most all rooms are getting new paint...and on and on. Funny thing we are having more trouble with a few of the workers than we are with the actual house. We're on our second electrician and 4th plumber, but the builder is excellent and never flinches at anything. Good thing, too, because there were surprises going through the process :grin2:

I'll post another pic when it's pretty much complete, but I just had some extra time right now to share.

Edit, if you look closely, you can see where they had relocated the door and windows and we relocated them back to the original locations. They had built an adjoining greenhouse on the side and enclosed the porch in doing so and we undid all that to give us back the wraparound porch

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
After inspection, we can pull all the stickers off the windows, too. All the doors and windows were replaced
That is beautiful,love the color combo,wife not so much,Great job,,Goin thru a bath estimate Here,ughhhh,insurance claims,,,know a GC??lol
snow here on monday:smile2:

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,907 Posts
That is beautiful,love the color combo,wife not so much,Great job,,Goin thru a bath estimate Here,ughhhh,insurance claims,,,know a GC??lol
snow here on monday:smile2:
when I first read that, I thought you meant his wife was not beautiful,.. I was like..what??? Then i was like...O. Duh.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That looks great! Any chance you'll share some 'interior shots'? Have you done much work to the inside?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bold House!! Curious if you pissed off any neighbors with such a bold color pallet...? (I dig it, personally).

There was a guy who painted his house Electric Blue (look it up if you don't know what it is) in my old neighborhood, and he got some hate mail from people in the area for choosing such such a bold color. He basically told them to go kick rocks, then added a pink dogwood tree in his front yard. LOL

Nicely done, nonetheless. Good work!

·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's so many little classic touches that remained that we normally would not have chosen to use had they not already been here...things that you'd find in antique malls

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a small trailer park across from us and the trailer closest to us is pink. Pepsi bismol pink. I don't think they'll complain about our Benjamin Moore Exotic Red ;)
Pepto Pink! Lol. That's awesome!!

Yeah, I don't think anyone will be bugging you.

·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That looks great! Any chance you'll share some 'interior shots'? Have you done much work to the inside?
I'll elaborate a little more. The inside was bad. The carpets were the very thin pile-cut and some were green, others were kind of a mustard yellow. The carpet upstairs was tan. All of that was pulled up and smelled horrible. I mean, the house had an old musty odor to it, but once the carpets came up, you could see they were stained on the undersides. The upstairs was old wood flooring and was painted white while the downstairs was refloored with wood tiling. Our builder had some recycled flooring from another job that you can see in the kitchen. All the walls were repainted and every wall that had the sheetrock removed for work was paneled. By paneled, I don't mean like the brown splintery wood paneling I grew up with in a trailer house in Oklahoma....these were individual slats of wood that were whitewashed and installed individually and then painted. We thought this was good because some of the walls had some cracking and we figured the paneling would 'float' a little should the house settle any more. The only flooring we didn't alter was in the living room because it was old worn flooring that had a real nice charm to it. The ceiling was also painted to enhance that fanning effect. The house is a little crooked from 100+ years of settling, so some of the walls were squared and strengthened and then the siding installed and insulation blown before paneling was installed.

There was a greenhouse built on and an office added that enclosed the originally opened porch that we had undone to reveal the wraparound porch, which you can see in one of the pictures. The Saltillo tile was in the greenhouse and the wood flooring was the office and those will be redone in the spring. The overhead paneling is the reverse side of the paneling that is in the interior shots and has a machined split to make it look like two boards for every one on the front side and that was stained in a natural wood. In the next post I'll put a picture from my phoneto give you an idea of just how far the kitchen has come.....

·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here is the before and after of the kitchen. The copper bench was a Habitat for Humanity find. We tried to reuse and recycle as much as possible and where , like the shelves that were left over from a prior renter. We had a houseguest that stayed a few extra days while we left for a small vacation and I didn't know that he told my wife he was going to pull all the nasty old cabinets out to make way for the new or I would have gotten a picture of the old. You can see the imprints where they sat, though.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts