Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or why did you choose a bike with a loud exhaust already installed? Did you take any consideration of how those around you would be affected by the louder exhaust (IE neighbors)?

I am curious to read the responses to this thread. My answer is three fold: 1) having the exhaust already installed meant I didn't have to buy it; 2) I like to hear the engine; and 3) I did not consider how my neighbors would feel about a loud bike.

What is your response?

J

·
0 Posts
In my case, the question should be: why didn't I 'upgrade' my exhaust?

My stock 2006 was loud enough for me when I bought it last fall and I felt no need to make it louder. The engine on this thing sounds great even with stock mufflers and fairly roars under acceleration. From the rider's seat I can hear this motor just fine, and I don't care about the guy a block away 'appreciating' my bike's sound, he can buy his own damn motorcycle. I guess I'm just selfish that way. The stock Vulcan 2000's engine sound projects muted power...walks softly, but carry's a big stick, as 'Teddy' once said.

I'm supposed to be at work at 6:00 AM, and if I take a bike I need to leave by at least 5:15 to 5:30 AM at the latest. My neighbors appreciate my V2K's considerate nature in this regard and I'm happy to not wake anyone up when I take a motorcycle to work.

I also don't feel that my V2K needs any more power than it already has, not that a noisier exhaust will always give it substantially more snot anyway. For me, 116hp is plenty for this machine, and if I absolutely have to go faster, I'll take my ZX14 and just get it over with.

I Bought a 2004 Sportster XL1200R about a month ago, it came with a pair of 'Screaming Eagle II' slip-ons on it, I couldn't wait to 'upgrade' it back to stock mufflers, which I did within two weeks of owning it.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Well I have always lived in places where the neighbors are far enough away that they don't care, or they are more obnoxious that I am :D . I have only purches one set of pipes for a bike, all of mine have had them already installed when i got them. My old Honda Nighthawk and factory pipes, my 1500 Classic had long pipes with no baffles (did not know brand, was on it when I got it), my 1600 Meanie I purchased V&H Big Shots for it, rode with the factory pipes for 4 days. 99 VStar 1100 had Cobra Slip-ons (on the bike when I got it), My V2K had factory pipes on it, by this point in my life I started liking the quieter pipes but I did consider changing them because I was dragging them while 2 up. Now My Ultra Limited has the Screaming Eagle Slip-ons, but they are not any louder than the factory pipes, just sound different.

So long story short, I used to like all the noise and being a punk kid sounding them off everywhere and did not care how it sounded, just that it was loud to not really liking the noise, but if they have a good sound and sitll some what quite, they are ok in my book.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting read so far.

So, let's say you came across an opinion forum and you found negative posts about loud bikes. Some posts say we bikers are stupid and brainless; while others comment on how our loud bikes cause suffering and misery to others. How would you defend your position in both owning a bike and owning a bike with loud pipes?

Go!

J

·
0 Posts
Interesting read so far.

So, let's say you came across an opinion forum and you found negative posts about loud bikes. Some posts say we bikers are stupid and brainless; while others comment on how our loud bikes cause suffering and misery to others. How would you defend your position in both owning a bike and owning a bike with loud pipes?

Go!
This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll beat it some more. There are usually four reasons for having 'loud pipes'. I'm not being critical or arguing for or against any of them here, just stating them as I understand it.

1. It's justified as a safety measure, as in 'loud pipes save lives'.

2. It's justified as a performance increasing measure.

3. It's justified as simply a personal preference to ride a motorcycle that's louder than stock.

4. It's a defiance thing, so f#*k you if you don't like it.

For any given individual, it can be any one of the above, or any combination of #1-#4, including all of them.

I think that that's about it. Maybe others will add a few more that I can't think of at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've covered the basics.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll beat it some more. There are usually four reasons for having 'loud pipes'. I'm not being critical or arguing for or against any of them here, just stating them as I understand it.

3. It's justified as simply a personal preference to ride a motorcycle that's louder than stock.

For any given individual, it can be any one of the above, or any combination of #1-#4, including all of them.

I think that that's about it. Maybe others will add a few more that I can't think of at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've covered the basics.
Forgot "Vanity", the noise goes good with the pirate suites for the "posers" in this world. Got to have the full image going on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If they do not know you are there, they will kill you. They will feel bad about it but you will be dead. Distracted driving is worse than it has ever been. I crawl out of my neighborhood out of respect. Make no mistake about it sir, some of these same people you speak of having consideration for will tailgate you, play with there phone, cut curves etc. etc. etc. If they do not like the noise there are Real Estate agents waiting for their phone call. Ride safe if possible...

J

·
0 Posts
If they do not know you are there, they will kill you.
They've had forty-five years to kill me and they haven't succeeded yet. As long as I know where they are, it doesn't matter if they know where I am. No more riders get killed on Goldwings than riders on loud bikes, quite possibly even less, and their bikes are virtually silent. How can that be?

I also own a GL1800, and as quiet as that thing is, it presents no more risk riding it than any of my other bikes. Ultimately, safety lies with the rider, not the machine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Continued good luck to you. Your guardian angel is surely with you. 45 years of safe riding cannot be challenged! Myself, I have a face made out of titanium and a neck made from parts of my hip. Oh, and my knees have zippers. Ride safe...

J

·
0 Posts
Continued good luck to you. Your guardian angel is surely with you. 45 years of safe riding cannot be challenged! Myself, I have a face made out of titanium and a neck made from parts of my hip. Oh, and my knees have zippers. Ride safe...
There's situations that are preventable, and there's situations that are not, regardless of skill and experience. Mother nature could have tossed a whitetail in front of me at any time, and still might, and I'll concede that there's an element of luck at play in my 'success' so far, and I might run out of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Some people drink beer, some dont..........its a personal choice. I like mines loud as my personal choice. I am not trying to win a popularity contest, nor did I go loud to be seen or heard by anyone except me. "I" like the way it sounds, and "I" couldnt give a damn if anyone in the universe did not like it. If someone wants to ride silent, thats cool by me, but I have always associated cruiser bikes with a bit of a rumble and I enjoy mines accordingly............

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They've had forty-five years to kill me and they haven't succeeded yet. As long as I know where they are, it doesn't matter if they know where I am. No more riders get killed on Goldwings than riders on loud bikes, quite possibly even less, and their bikes are virtually silent. How can that be?

I also own a GL1800, and as quiet as that thing is, it presents no more risk riding it than any of my other bikes. Ultimately, safety lies with the rider, not the machine.
Well said sir. If you rely on loud pipes to save your a$$ good luck with that.

After driving a commercial vehicle for over 30 years it's not so much about letting them know you are coming as it is about seeing what stupid thing they are about to do that saves your bacon.

J

·
0 Posts
.....I like mines loud as my personal choice. I am not trying to win a popularity contest, nor did I go loud to be seen or heard by anyone except me. "I" like the way it sounds, and "I" couldnt give a damn if anyone in the universe did not like it. If someone wants to ride silent, thats cool by me, but I have always associated cruiser bikes with a bit of a rumble and I enjoy mines accordingly............
Looks like you're rock'n a 3-4 combo here...

·
Registered
62 Posts
stir the pot

Howdy, read all the posts and didn't see anything like this (THE TRUTH) for me. I had a 2008 900 classic Lt. (just sold) I changed to Road House pipes, put on power commander, and had it dynode. It increased my MPG 6.? miles per gal.,and that is riding the same roads and routes as before.. Anyone else have this kind of increase??...Ride Safe

J

·
0 Posts
Howdy, read all the posts and didn't see anything like this (THE TRUTH) for me. I had a 2008 900 classic Lt. (just sold) I changed to Road House pipes, put on power commander, and had it dynode. It increased my MPG 6.? miles per gal.,and that is riding the same roads and routes as before.. Anyone else have this kind of increase??...Ride Safe
How much HP did the dyno show over stock with your mods on the 900?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All excellent answers! I feel JBacklund summarized the justifications well. Based on that, I feel I'm a 2/3 combo. I like performance and having a louder exhaust is a personal preference. Although, there may be many people around me who don't want to hear it, it ultimately boils down to the fact that the bike is mine and I am free to do as I please within the confines of the law; and, since motorcycles generally fall into a grey area within those laws, I see no reason not to take advantage of them.

All in all, this discussion has made me feel a bit better about having a loud bike. Although, I think I will do something to cut the noise down some. What initially sparked this topic were a few comments I read on CL's Rants and Raves. One comment was written by an individual who appeared reckless and warned bikers to watch out for his over-sized, gas guzzling diesel truck. They even threatened to tail-gate regardless. All this hate because they were tired of hearing loud bikes. Another comment was written by someone who rode a motorcycle and felt ashamed for not waving at fellow riders. It then became apparent, later, that they were just as against loud pipes as the other commenter. However, they took a different approach. They claimed that us "brainless" and "stupid" bikers with loud pipes only think about ourselves and not for those who are suffering from medical ailments, especially those on chemo-therapy. Of course, I replied back informing them that I, myself, suffer from medical ailments and my bike offers me temporary escape from my own suffering. Hadn't heard back since that post. Additionally, neither poster could refrain from using vulgar language; which, IMO, proves they are immature and simple minded.

Anyways, feel free to keep posting your thoughts here.

-Ride Hard and Prosper!

J

·
0 Posts
I'm biased towards the quieter end of things, but I also know that some people get irritated by the fact that they can hear a motorcycle at all, and they're never going to be happy no matter how quiet a bike is and there is no placating them.

Regardless, some people are bothered by the fact that they probably can't just tear the mufflers off of their cars and drive around without getting tagged for excessive noise while motorcyclist almost universally can do that very thing. Add that in some, if not most states, a car driver must also strap themselves into their vehicles 'for their own safety' and watch helmetless, noisy, motorcyclists ride around all over the place. 'John Q. Public' is probably feeling like his behavior is being dictated by authorities who treat motorcycle riders as an entitled class, and in some ways like allowable noise levels, it appears that we are.

I'm not trying to be a troll here, or being critical of anyone, I'm just commenting on how I view things.

Some years ago during the Sturgis Rally, we were driving our CJ5 Jeep around Rapid City and a cop pulled me over for a burned out taillight (which I wasn't aware of). All the while I was talking to the cop, motorcycles with the obligatory 'loud pipes' were passing by, and I said to the cop that even with one burned-out taillight I still had as many taillights as the motorcycles did, and that I was apparently the only vehicle in town with a legal muffler still on it. He laughed, but I was half-way serious.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't see it as trolling at all. We got to face reality, that some people hate bike, PERIOD, and want them off the streets. Stock motorcycles are going to be louder than vehicles, not just exhaust noise, but just the fact the engine is exposed. Start your car and lift the hood, you gonna hear more engine noise then you are with it shut. But hey, no matter what happens, there are always gonna be "Haters" out there. Haters don't need any reason to hate, just their own logic (no matter how sound, or delusional it may be) to justify their hate.

J

·
0 Posts
Stock motorcycles are going to be louder than vehicles, not just exhaust noise, but just the fact the engine is exposed.
That, and some engine types can give the perception that they are louder than others even though they produce an equal level of decibels. A large, relatively slow-running V-twin seems to make more noise than a four-cylinder, but it's only because the V produces distinct, individual firing pulses that can be easily heard as separate, lumpy, 'pops', while the four-cylinder (usually) produces sound perceived as a steady drone that changes in pitch as the rpms rise and fall. Piped 600 sportbikes almost sound like a trumpet when they are wound up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts