Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local bike dealer the other day and was very surprised that they still had quite a few 2012 bikes sitting on the show room floor. Naturally, I presumed they were used since they were a couple years old, so I made a comment along the order of their asking price (which was current MSRP for 2014 models on a the Honda Shadow that I was referencing at the time) being somewhat ridiculous. Basically, the salesman got all cocky, fluffed his rooster feathers, and I had no clue why he was so edgy until I realized it was actually "new" in the sense that it had never been bought. I felt slightly stupid for about 3 seconds, but that feeling quickly subdued as there's no way I'd pay MSRP for a 2 year old bike anyways if I were going the new route.

My question is, why would a bike dealer still be asking MSRP for a 2 year old bike? It's not acceptable for a car dealer to sell cars at MSRP that are that old (heck, they practically give them away after 1 year), so why do bike dealers think they can get away with it, or are these guys just weirdos?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same thing happened when I was shopping. Saw a 2009 used bike that they wanted just under $1,000 less than brand new MSRP. I made a cash offer at the blue-book value, and when they said they wouldn't come down I penny, I laughed in their faces and walked out. I've driven by since, and the bike is still sitting there...

·
Registered
109 Posts
My question is, why would a bike dealer still be asking MSRP for a 2 year old bike?
Two reasons: 1) They're hoping someone will pay it and 2) it gives price negotiation a starting point.

DH and I did this on a car that was 2 years old, but brand new. List price was $19,000 and the salesperson started there. We reminded them that the car was two years old and they were coming up on the date when they would have to pay for "flooring" for that car again. We got the price down to $13,000, which was $1000 below the current KBB for the car.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
They want MSRP for a 2 year old bike, and they still have it. Doesnt that say it all? When I was shopping for another bike, I looked at a 2012 Nomad that they came down $500 on I believe. Shortly after I found the 2012 VoyagerABS $2500 off. I have owned the Voyager 1 year on the 26th of this month.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They want MSRP for a 2 year old bike, and they still have it. Doesnt that say it all?
That was my thought posting this thread, but as I'm not familiar with the bike sales process so much, I was wondering if there was something else that I hadn't thought of. Apparently not. It seems like they're just being stingy and holding out in hopes some sucker will come along.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right.

From a practical standpoint they're NOT selling them at MSRP, otherwise they'd not still be there.
Generally speaking, that's probably true, but this guy wasn't budging a bit. It was technically a new bike and he was going to get MSRP + dealer fees if it killed him. If I recall correctly, it was a "manager's special" too. If a managers special accounts to a 2 year old bike going for MSRP on a new bike, I'll just take my business somewhere else. That just makes absolutely no sense to me other than just to prey on suckers who don't know better. Kinda ticks me off a bit actually...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
worse than you think, when you consider some of those '12s might've been delivered in fall of '11.

Personally, I've never seen a dealer try to pull that. Usually they want the old bikes gone cuz keeping them around takes up space and costs money. I got my 900 for 1500 less than MSRP and my Cross Roads for about 2 grand less. These guys are clearly a bunch of knuckleheads.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It depends on the dealer, you can look up sky powersports in new port ritchey, fl. he has 2012 vulcan 900's for $5999. never been ridden, some people are pigheaded, they'll go down with the ship before they'll be flexible, others want to sell more bikes and can be realistic.....ride on....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
A place in town here has a '14 KLR and a leftover '12 KLR priced within $200 of each other. I asked one day if they were willing to make a deal on the '12, cause, hey, I would have bought it for the right price. The salesman's answer, "We could probably knock a couple hundred off." Needless to say, I don't have a KLR.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Well, Here is a new twist from My bike salesman.
He has always made Me very good deals.
His reasoning with Me is this.
He told me He can sell bikes like crazy and make 3-400 dollars on each one, and some salesmen just think they need to make 1-2000 on a bike.
There is a lot of markup on all bikes and they have a lot of room to work with.
Some sales people are just a little greedy.
My guy told Me once that He had sold 30 bikes through the 18th of the month.
Do the math on that. No need to make 2 grand a bike is there.
He was making at least 5-600 dollars a day. I would take that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
All eight of my bikes were new and had only a mile or two on the speedo, but were two years old sitting on the sales floor. I always got a good discount.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I got my V2K the same way. Honestly I have never paid MSRP for any new Kawasaki I have ever purchased. Come to think about it, I have never paid MSRP for any bike/car/truck/atv/... except my HD (a little over, but had 5K worth of extras thrown in).

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,912 Posts
I bought my 04 V2K in March of 05.

I went in looking at the 05's, but the dealer gave me almost 5k off the MSRP, cause it was the previous years model, and he wanted it "moved on out".

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is one of many things that illustrates what a great place America really is.

Every seller's motivation is to get the most he can get, every buyer's motivation is to pay as little as he can. It's an adversarial relationship in its purest sense.

And every THING is "worth" only what someone will pay. No more - No less.

If they ask too much, you don't have to buy it.
If you offer too little, they don't have to sell it.

Like Smokey Robinson's mama told him, "You better shop around".

·
BOTM Winner, July 2014
22 Posts
We have a dealership like this in my town. Almost impossible to get them to budge at all. Mention to these guys that such and such dealership has the same bike cheaper, their response is go buy it there. Strange they are still in business.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know why, but it just bugs me when dealers refuse to offer a a fair price on an outdated car, bike, or whatever. I end up taking my business elsewhere, but those places just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
A dealer me won't budge on prices either. And every tag on every bike has the price plus "fees". The prices look reasonable but the "fees" are crazy. A bike priced at $6995 will run over 8K out the door.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts