Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed there was a pool of oil under my left rear shock absorber. My bide seems to ride normal and push down on the rear of the bike to move the shocks, they seem to work okay. Is the shock shot? Can I fix it? What is the best remedy - replace? New OEM's are around $500 and would prefer not to go that route. Thanks for any help you can give

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Well the damping effect will stop after enough oil leaks out. I'm sure they are sealed and unrepairable, but not positive.
The best remedy would be to buy a set of after market shocks. This is assuming you warranty is expired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help. I'm not really that mechanically inclined, and thought the shocks were just air dampened. Guess not.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The question you asked is why. Have you added air to your shocks? did you use a zero loss hand pump?

Did you hit a large pothole?

If your bike is still under warranty, it might be covered if the mileage is low.

I like progressive 412 non-air shocks for replacement shocks. Used them on my 1200 Voyager and they improved the ride and handling.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Well the damping effect will stop after enough oil leaks out. I'm sure they are sealed and unrepairable, but not positive.
The best remedy would be to buy a set of after market shocks. This is assuming you warranty is expired.
They say that the shocks are unrepairable, but you can.
Here in Oz, shock repairers drill a hole & use a grub screw with a rubber insert & inject the oil in with a syringe. They also can reseal them.
I have had 3 done this way on my Roadstar

·
Registered
68 Posts
I took apart one of my shocks to see if there was a way to shorten it. They do come apart just need a press of some sort to compress to get the spring clip off. There are a couple of o-rings in them and one may have a nick in it. If it not leaking that much just take out the valve core and with a syringe inject some power steering fluid in it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The other day I noticed there was a pool of oil under my left rear shock absorber. My bide seems to ride normal and push down on the rear of the bike to move the shocks, they seem to work okay. Is the shock shot? Can I fix it? What is the best remedy - replace? New OEM's are around $500 and would prefer not to go that route. Thanks for any help you can give
It is noted in owners manual that if you add air to them to adjust the ride you so desire to NOT use a compressor airline or you could possibly blow the seals. Not sure if that is what you did, but I know it is not to exceed a certain amount of psi when adding air, and use a hand pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts