Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot here about putting on a 200 rear, mainly because it tends to true out the speedometer, and perhaps gives a bit better tire life than the stock 180. But why the huge 240? I'm new to cruisers, so I have to ask. Is it purely for style and "the look," or does it make the bike ride better, or what? I just wonder what it does to the handling. Seems to me it would tend to make the bike feel heavier and slow the steering response down, especially riding twists. Just curious. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It just looks cooler and is in vogue right now. Same as a car... a big hunk of rubber back there looks really cool and implies engine power. It does nothing to enhance the ride of a street bike... a racing bike is another matter.

Having a taller tire may marginally increase the mileage you get from a tire, but being wider, in and of itself, won't extend your tire mileage any at all (unless you go with a car tire).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Reason why many 900's run 200's on the rear is because maily it feels the rear fender better than the 180. The custom model with the oem 180 looks more like a dirt bike than a custom vtwin. Second it does correct to a minimun the speedo error. Those with a 240 I guess they like the looks of a real custom wheel vs the sotcker.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey V Twin, have you ever posted any pics of your Custom?? I'd like to see your National Cycle screen, which one do you have?

I am looking to fit a lowering kit to my Custom, to overcome the "dirt Bike" look of the rear wheel area!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like it's merely for appearance than anything else, and would probably not be all that great on the Classic LT. At least not the 240, but the 200 might not be bad.

Maybe some pix would be helpful, especially if someone has a pic of a 200 on a classic.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Here's a 200 on my custom with a 1" lowering kit. A 240 needs a different (wider) rim.The 200 drops the rpms a little and fixes the speedo. The 200 is around 1 1/2" taller than the stock 180, fills the fender and does not affect the handling in an adverse fashion. No modifications are needed.

Sorry about the crappy pics, the camera worked better with out the flash on ... I gotta get some better ones.

Heres my classic, hard to see on it due to the fender and hitch. Not done for visual reasons, just the practicality of the rpm drop and a speedo that is accurate.

cheers Maurice

BTW ... On the Custom, i have run a Pirelli 200 70 - 15 $255cdn

On the Classic, i have run a Metzler ME 880 200 70 - 15 $299cdn.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The main reason was the speedo fix and the rpm drop ... if I wanted meat I would have gone to the 230 . Thats a lot of rubber.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am wondering why the rpm will drop? because i know in a car if you made the tire wider it will cause higher rpms due to the fact that you have more rubber hitting the ground causing more friction. which at the end causes the engine to work a little bit more then having skinnier tires.
If I understand things correctly, the larger tire will have a slightly larger outside circumference which lowers the overall gearing, thus lowering the rpm's a bit and trues out the speedometer. The downside is that you will lose a little bit of power at the rear wheel for the same reasons. I ran a 70 series rear tire on my Gold Wing. It trued out the speedometer and lowered the rps's a bit, but it also cost me some power. Not much, but I could notice it. I put the stock size 60 series rear back on and could immediately feel the power increase.

I suspect that the same effect could be attained by using a different size front belt pulley. Cruises easier, with a bit less vibes, but you'll notice a bit less power, too. Depends on what you want or need the most.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts